PDA

View Full Version : WFRP3 Ruleset automation issues/questions.

noelyuk
October 23rd, 2014, 06:36
Hi All

I'm using Fantasy Grounds WFRP3 ruleset to run a warhammer roleplay game. When it comes to combat though, there are some aspects which I am expecting to be automated but which don't seem to be.

Having played other rulesets I know that 'to hit die' and 'damage die' can be dragged either onto tokens or onto the progress tracker thus automating the to hit and damage process. Just wondering if the same is possible in WFRP or whether as it seems it doesn't have this functionality.

Additionally while multiple dice can be selected by right clicking and choosing a number from the radial menu, when it comes to wound, fatigue and stress the tokens can't be right clicked and must be individually dragged.

By the way these are simply questions and should in no way be taken as a slight on the ruleset which I think is otherwise excellent. I think the biggest problem for me is that while there are several generic or other rule specific tutorials there don't seem to be any WFRP3 ruleset tutorial videos or instructions out there. Either that or i'm not looking in the right place. In which case i'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Noely

damned
October 23rd, 2014, 12:16
The coding for a ruleset is extremely complex. Only a handful of rulesets have the royal treatment. Most of those are CoreRPG rulesets - which means they were written on a common base platform released last year and updated fairly regularly (started at 3.0 and 3.09 is in Beta). Older rulesets were almost always forked from one of the main v2 rulesets which did not share and common code - well they did, but the code had to be added to each one separately. WFRP3 has about 30,000 lines of code. Now much of that borrows off other peoples work etc but it is a lot of work no matter how you look at it. The coding to do targeting is not insignificant. It is easier in CoreRPG but that would require a complete rewrite of the ruleset first...

I think you have and you are learning lots about the WFRP ruleset already. Would you consider making some 5min tutorial videos on the ruleset?

Trenloe
October 23rd, 2014, 16:27
MODERATOR: Moved thread out of the House of Healing forum as this really isn't a technical support question.

There is some documentation available for the WFRP3 ruleset here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/WFRP_3E.xcp

Regarding targeting and applying damage. There's no automation around this - the main reason being that the narrative dice pool functionality of WFRP3 doesn't convert directly to a "compare attack result vs defence value" (e.g. d20 based systems roll to hit vs AC). The WFRP3 dice pool basically gives you the result of the attack straight off - if you have at least one success then you've hit. The result of the attack action can be different depending on what action was being used - extra damage with more successes in the Melee Strike basic action, for example. PC Talents, active opposing actions/talents, etc. can all impact the dice pool and hence the result. To try to automate all of this would be a massive job and would be virtually impossible to be done with 100% accuracy. Hence why it is left to the "human" playing the game to interpret the dice pool and apply the results based on all factors appropriately.

noelyuk
October 25th, 2014, 04:11
Ok guys. Thanks for the info. I take the point about the dice pool system perhaps making automation prohibitively difficult to implement. I thought that it probably wasn't a feature but my original post was more to check if there isn't aspects of the ruleset that i'm currently unaware of. Like I said I think Fantasy Grounds and the ruleset is awesome and totally appreciate the work and man hours that has gone into producing it.

And Damned, the irony of ME producing a video tutorial, when I have struggled so much with so many aspects of getting my own WFRP3 module creations up and running is not lost on me ;) To be honest it's not something i've ever done. Cue a new thread where I badger FG users on how to make my own tutorial that badly explains how to do things that most other folk can already do, in their sleep...lol

damned
October 25th, 2014, 14:27
@noelyuk - I can think of no one better to do the videos. all the learns and frustrations that you have gone thru have put you in the perfect position to prepare a short video that shows something useful or tricky or difficult. Download a trial of Camtasia and give it a try... go on...

younis
November 14th, 2014, 11:36
I can think of no one better to do the videos. all the learns and frustrations that you have gone thru have put you in the perfect position to prepare a short video that shows something useful or tricky or difficult. Download a trial of Camtasia and give it a try... go on...

noelyuk
November 15th, 2014, 12:46
Wow! Is there an echo in this thread? Do you ever get the feeling that you're being ganged up on? ;) As it happens Damned and Younis I am in the middle of putting something together by way of a tutorial. It's really aimed at giving new players to the game a quick tour of WFRP specific features on FG. I shall let you know how I get on. :)

damned
November 15th, 2014, 21:44
Well done noelyuk. Be like Mike.