PDA

View Full Version : Modifying the contents of an existing module in FG

swest
October 22nd, 2014, 19:26
Greetings,

Ok, so I'm using one of the fine examples of the GMing art in FG (a module for RotRL - thank you [Callum|Stargrove|kane280484] - I am ashamed to admit that I can't remember which one of theirs I ended up using, but they were very generous with their work, Thanks!).

Anyway, I have been making some changes, myself, to the content, and I'm now wondering a couple of new things:

In the various tables of content for the module (Story, Items, etc.), there is a small open-book icon over on the right. If I make changes to the content, that open-book icon changes to an open-book icon with a pen over it. I assume this indicates that the content has been edited from the original that is 'stored' (?) in the module itself.

Secondly, if I add an entry of my own to a given page of content, that item will not have the small open-book icon over on the right (for instance, I added the 'Ten Fun Facts About Goblins' page to the Story page for Burnt Offerings...) I assume the lack of the small open-book icon next to my entry means that it is not part of the module.

So, if my assumptions above are correct, how do I update an edited entry back in the module? and, how do I get a new entry included in the module.

If those assumptions are incorrect, then please explain the meanings to me.

Finally, why is one of the little banner tabs at the bottom of the Story and Images & Maps windows 'blue'? The one for Story shows 'Burnt Offerings' when you hover over it, and the one for the Images & Maps, which, by the way has a sunburst on it - not the comedy/drama masks, that one shows 'Characters' when I hover over it. Are these just customized somehow in the module?

Thanks!

- s.west

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2014, 19:38
Greetings,
Hello! :)

Some info on campaign lists here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Campaign_Data

In the various tables of content for the module (Story, Items, etc.), there is a small open-book icon over on the right. If I make changes to the content, that open-book icon changes to an open-book icon with a pen over it. I assume this indicates that the content has been edited from the original that is 'stored' (?) in the module itself.
Correct. The edits are specific to this one campaign.

Secondly, if I add an entry of my own to a given page of content, that item will not have the small open-book icon over on the right (for instance, I added the 'Ten Fun Facts About Goblins' page to the Story page for Burnt Offerings...) I assume the lack of the small open-book icon next to my entry means that it is not part of the module.
Correct. This data is stored specifically in your campaign.

So, if my assumptions above are correct, how do I update an edited entry back in the module? and, how do I get a new entry included in the module.
You'll need to open the module and manually change the XML data, then package the module back up.

Finally, why is one of the little banner tabs at the bottom of the Story and Images & Maps windows 'blue'? The one for Story shows 'Burnt Offerings' when you hover over it, and the one for the Images & Maps, which, by the way has a sunburst on it - not the comedy/drama masks, that one shows 'Characters' when I hover over it. Are these just customized somehow in the module?
These were set in the original campaign from which the module was exported. You can change them in your current campaign by right clicking on the tab and cycling either the icon or the style (colour). Info in the "Categories" section of the user guide I've linked at the top of this post.

You can also add a tooltip title to a tab by typing the title in the chat entry, don't press enter but click-drag the text to a tab and this will be added as a tooltip which will display when you hover over the category tab.

swest
October 22nd, 2014, 20:53
As always, very helpful.

I know it might seem like I'm asking questions here about every trivial little thing that comes into my head (and, believe me, there's a lot of pretty trivial stuff up there ;)), but I am finding lots of stuff I need on my own...

... but some times the sheer quantity begins to overwhelm, and I just need someone to hold my hand, and tell me it's going to be all right. :)

Thanks!

damned
October 23rd, 2014, 04:38
come thisssss way brave adventurer....
yessss thissss way.... hold my hand - yessss dear - itssss going to be alright....

licktoren
December 3rd, 2014, 23:34
Hello! :)
You'll need to open the module and manually change the XML data, then package the module back up.

so is this done under the campaign folder then moduledb.xml? or the modulestate.xml.... or somewhere else? also where would i find the data that i've put into fantasy grounds to add into the module? hopefully this isn't something that needs to be re-typed from scratch :)

when i try and Export the module it only exports the items that i have added and nothing from the module i am trying to update. i have tried with the same module name and a different one and im getting the same outcome. so i hope that there is some way to update an existing module without having to start over from scratch.

~licktoren

licktoren
December 8th, 2014, 02:54
i found out what is needed, extract the Mod file with 7zip then you can use notepad++ on the db.xml file to transfer the updated information.