PDA

View Full Version : New to FG and have a few questions

EdwardS71
October 20th, 2014, 17:01
Hello everyone, new here and to FG. Before I ask my questions I would like to briefly introduce myself. I'm a father of three, all teens now, and we play the Pathfinder version of D&D. I started playing back when 2nd Edition was around and even though Pathfinder is its own system I use the blanket term "D&D" for this style of game. There are other styles of RP games as you know. At any rate I picked up FG doing researching-slash-comparing features, demo testing, and reading reviews. I have already built up the next adventure for the kids to go through but have a few questions.

1. If I have a magic item that I do not want them to identify, but still want them to have, is there a way to give it to them without showing the stats? I have seen something like this in a video but do not see it now.

2. One of my kids has the Weapon Focus feat for the Greatsword; however, it is not applying the +1 to his attack bonus. Is this correct or is there something else I need to do in order to give him the bonus?

3. I have the $39 license, what features does the upgraded license give? Is the chart at the bottom of this page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/buyFG/) a comprehensive answer to my question or have features been added or are not covered in there?

That is about all my questions for now. I am still reading and watching videos. My compliments to Doug for helping in my series of email questions; you were most helpful, thank you very much. Also thanks to everyone who helped to develop this program. I needed this thing 20 years ago when I was a player; woof!

ddavison
October 20th, 2014, 17:13
Welcome to FG!

#1. Go into your preferences (the checkbox icon in the upper right corner) and turn on Item Identification. Then you should be able to unlock and edit the magic item and mark it as identified or not. When it is enabled, you will also see a Non-ID Name, where you can enter something like, "strangely glowing sword that feels cold to the touch" or something like that. You can play around with a second instance joined to "localhost" to test out what the player sees or doesn't see. Once it's been identified, just toggle the ID icon on the item and the player will see the stats.

#2. On the Actions tab, click on the magnifying glass for the character's greatsword attack and add in a +1 bonus for weapon focus. It doesn't automatically apply the feat bonus on its own. The total modifier should then be the base attack bonus + strength bonus + the miscellaneous bonus you added for weapon focus, greatsword.

#3. I tried to be as comprehensive as possible there. It mostly allows players with the Free/Demo version to connect to your games along with people who may have their own license. Otherwise, players will need to supply their own license.

EdwardS71
October 20th, 2014, 18:46
Thank you, that did the trick. Just as helpful on the Forums as in the emails. :D

EdwardS71
October 20th, 2014, 20:13
Alright, so I created the magic item, a Longsword +1 in this case, and gave it to his character; however, he is not able to equip and use it. Is this because it is unidentified? Even still his character can see it is a longsword and should be able to use it. Did I do something wrong?

Trenloe
October 20th, 2014, 20:16
Alright, so I created the magic item, a Longsword +1 in this case, and gave it to his character; however, he is not able to equip and use it. Is this because it is unidentified? Even still his character can see it is a longsword and should be able to use it. Did I do something wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong. More info in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21181-Unidentified-Weapons-Unusable-in-PF-and-3-5

EdwardS71
October 20th, 2014, 20:20
Ah, of course that makes sense. Are there plans to develop a work around for this in the future? Off the top of my head I would not know how that could be done since they can always read and figure out what is going on on the gametable. Hmm, interesting still this may give them an added incentive to figure these things out and burn some gold.

EdwardS71
October 20th, 2014, 23:21
Hopefully it is stiff fine for me to use this thread for another question. It may not be a technical question but I am not sure where to put "How do you make" type questions on the Forums. At any rate my question is how do I make a Dagger of Returning +2? I can make a Dagger +2 by drag and drop and I can make a Dagger of Returning; however, it does not seem that I can stack effects on an item.

Griogre
October 21st, 2014, 00:10
Generally the Tavern or Game forum is best for questions like this.

You would make the dagger using the returning drop. To make sure you know how first drag and drop +2 Returning into a new item. Then drag and drop dagger onto it. When you drag and drop the identified item onto a character it should make both a melee and throwing version of the dagger.

EdwardS71
October 21st, 2014, 00:33
So, how do you make a returning dagger +2? I don't see a returning +2; just a "Returning" and a "+2". FG is not allowing me to drag and drop Returning, then drag and drop Magic Weapon +2, then Dagger.

Griogre
October 21st, 2014, 01:42
Oh, I see. I misunderstood your problem. You have to pick, since it will only drop one. :( I personally would drop the dagger on the +2 Magic Weapon then change the name from Dagger (+2 Magic Weapon) to Dagger +2 Returning or +2 Dagger Returning.