PDA

View Full Version : Portraits Window Blank

noelyuk
October 11th, 2014, 14:40
For some reason the portraits window is completely blank. None of the pictures that are there in the portraits folder are showing up within the game. Not even the standard default ones are showing and I don't know why.

Any ideas what the issue might be? By the way i'm using the WFRP3 ruleset.

Please help

Trenloe
October 11th, 2014, 17:58
Have you changed the "Data Directory" in the FG settings window (press the Settings button on the FG startup screen)?

What version of WFRP3 are you running (version is on the splash screen when you start the ruleset)?

Are you running the "live" FG 3.0.8 or "test" 3.0.9?

Are you running any extensions?

Has this worked for you before?

noelyuk
October 12th, 2014, 13:28
Hey Trenloe

Thanks for the reply

Have you changed the "data directory"?
I Don't even know what you mean by this but as far as I can gather. No

What version of WFRP3 are you running?
v3.0.8 Ultimate

Are you running the "live" or "test"?
I don't really know what this means?

Both in manage character mode and when I load campaign the portraits area is blank. There are no portraits for me to choose not even the generic default ones.

Are you running any extensions?
I don't really know what you mean by this? What are extensions? Modules, etc? But so fair the problem is one that is presenting itself no matter where I am in the game. Even in the manage characters screen I don't get the option to select from the portraits.

Has this worked for me before?
Yes back in the day when I first installed the ruleset the portraits were working like they're supposed to.

Fingers crossed. I'll look forward to your reply.

Noely

damned
October 12th, 2014, 13:51
create a new blank test campaign and test if it works there...

damned
October 12th, 2014, 13:59
hmmm i just tried with a blank WFRP campaign - cant access or modify either portraits or tokens.
i saw this last week with someone who had an out of date CoC ruleset.

Trenloe
October 12th, 2014, 16:20
What version of WFRP3 are you running?
v3.0.8 Ultimate
That is the version of Fantasy Grounds, not the version of the WFRP3 ruleset. When you start up a campaign using the WFRP3 ruleset the version will be displayed on a window in the middle of the screen.

If you're not running the 1.5.1 ruleset (which I'm guessing you're not) then download it from here: https://41fe5a1fc81e590f4e8940c19b657e9ea5d9a258.googledri ve.com/host/0B27SCDR38xFuNE96TGV4S1Jjdlk/fantasy-grounds-ii/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-v3.html

noelyuk
October 12th, 2014, 17:14
Oh Great! :(

I followed the link above. Downloaded the WFRP v3 pak from here. And once I copied it over to the relevant folder now all hell has broken loose and nothing at all is working.

All my campaigns are no longer listed.

https://i57.tinypic.com/23icljq.png

Nor even is the WFRP3 ruleset listed if I try to create a new campaign.

https://i59.tinypic.com/fmm53t.png

Added to that the background window keeps blinking on and off to black :(

Help please I fear it's broken beyond repair :(

Noely

noelyuk
October 12th, 2014, 17:15
Oh and I tried rolling back to a previous version of the WFRP v3. pak ruleset and the problem still persists like above :(

Trenloe
October 12th, 2014, 17:27
This is not caused by you copying the WFRP ruleset. Unless you managed to rename or move your FG data directory during the process.

Click the "Open data folder" icon above v3.0.8 Ultimate in the top right and see where it takes you. You should see a number of folders - cache, campaigns, extensions, modules, rulesets, etc.. But, I'm guessing you're not going to see that - which will be your problem.

Click the "Settings" button and see where your "Data Directory" is pointing. It should be looking at something like: C:\Users\<Your windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds

noelyuk
October 12th, 2014, 18:01
Hi Trenloe

I can't believe that this wasn't caused by copying the ruleset because quite frankly that's all I did. As per the instructions above to download an updated ruleset. Did that and since then I've had issues.

As for the Open Data Folder. I'm on mac osx and clicking on that particular folder has never worked for me and nor does it for other mac users I believe. However I have an alias on my desktop to navigate to it and the file structure is as I would expect it to look: cache, campaigns, extensions, modules, rulesets, etc.

But just in case I checked for updates again. Now all the data and so on has returned and I am now finally able to see images within portraits. However there are still some major display issues. Some of the things I click on remain partially on screen where they would normally disappear. Occasionally the background colour keep flicking to black and back.

Not sure what to do next.

Oh and regarding my SEttings. This is what the data directory looks like: C:\users\myname\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds

noelyuk
October 12th, 2014, 18:02
Update. This is what my screen looks now :(

https://i60.tinypic.com/23u358j.png

Trenloe
October 12th, 2014, 18:13
I can't believe that this wasn't caused by copying the ruleset because quite frankly that's all I did. As per the instructions above to download an updated ruleset. Did that and since then I've had issues.
If all you did was copy the WFRP3.pak file to the <fg app data>\rulesets folder then that would not cause any of the issues you're seeing. Unless something you did stopped FG accessing the data folder - which is exactly what your screenshot in post #7 above suggest - FG can't find campaigns, rulesets, etc., which is suggesting that it can't access the data directory. What application did you use to copy the .pak file? Did you close it afterwards? Was Fantasy Grounds running when you copied the ruleset file? Did you restart Fantasy Grounds after?

Still, this wouldn't cause the graphics issue. For this, open "Settings" and make sure you have "Cross-platform compatibility for Linux and Mac" selected. Also, make sure that "Mode:" (at the bottom of the settings window) is set to "Live".

noelyuk
October 12th, 2014, 19:06
As ever Trenloe thanks for your help. As per your instructions above it seems that the "cross platform compatibility between linux and mac" wasn't selected. Once selected it seems the display problems I was having have disappeared. Not sure how this came to be unchecked. Nonetheless it seems to be working again now so thanks again.

damned
October 12th, 2014, 21:36
That is the version of Fantasy Grounds, not the version of the WFRP3 ruleset. When you start up a campaign using the WFRP3 ruleset the version will be displayed on a window in the middle of the screen.

If you're not running the 1.5.1 ruleset (which I'm guessing you're not) then download it from here: https://41fe5a1fc81e590f4e8940c19b657e9ea5d9a258.googledri ve.com/host/0B27SCDR38xFuNE96TGV4S1Jjdlk/fantasy-grounds-ii/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-v3.html

With the Authors permission would it be possible to copy this to the Free Rulesets section of the Wiki?

noelyuk
October 13th, 2014, 16:58
Now having some problems with the character sheet. Now that my portraits are back I am trying to create a new character via the manage character screen. But when I try to drag a portrait from there onto the icon in the top right corner of my character sheet (which in the case of my ruleset is the red logo flaming Warhammer logo) then it wont work and instead i get the following error message. any ideas?

https://i57.tinypic.com/21l73tx.png

Trenloe
October 13th, 2014, 17:15
Now having some problems with the character sheet. Now that my portraits are back I am trying to create a new character via the manage character screen. But when I try to drag a portrait from there onto the icon in the top right corner of my character sheet (which in the case of my ruleset is the red logo flaming Warhammer logo) then it wont work and instead i get the following error message. any ideas?

https://i57.tinypic.com/21l73tx.png
I don't know if the WFR3 ruleset officially supports manage characters - some rulesets don't. Do you get the same error if you try this in a campaign?