PDA

View Full Version : Replaced .mod file in appdata\roaming\FG\modules and now it's missing

swest
October 9th, 2014, 21:46
Well, now I've done it.

So I wanted to modify one of the maps (like I mentioned in another thread) by rotating it 180 degrees.

I went to my original, saved copy (on my desktop), changed .mod to .zip, unzipped, modified file, rezipped, changed the .zip to .mod.

Then I took that .mod file and replaced the .mod file in my appdata\roaming\FG\modules directory and
replaced the .mod file with the one that I just modified.

Now, when I start FG, not only is that module not activated, it is not available for activation.

It no longer shows anywhere... I guess there must be a checksum, or some validation mechanism
associated with a .mod file, and now that it has been changed, everything's broken?

Can you help me recover from this situation, and explain how I should have done this.

Executive summary:

1) I placed a community module (X.mod) in the appdata\roaming\FG\modules directory.
2) I opened FG, activated that module file, and used items from it.
3) I decided to change a map that was a component of that module.
4) I unzipped the original, made the change, rezipped the original, and copied it over the appdata\roaming\FG\modules copy.
5) I started FG and found that the module was no longer open, activated, or anything... completely absent.

??

Thanks.

- s.west

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 22:00
When you zipped up the changed module you need to zip from within the module folder itself - i.e. select all of the files within the folder and zip all of those up. Don't zip just the directory name from within the \modules directory.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 22:03
ahhh... going to do it now. I'll report back in a moment.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 22:44
uhh.... I'm primarily a linux guy, and I don't have a utility like winzip (only the Windows built-in).

The steps to accomplish this were a little funky, but they appear to have worked - the module is present again (with my change). I'm sure there is a cleaner way to do this, but I'm going to record the steps I took for anyone else that is as confused as I was.

So, I want to modify one of the files in an existing Fantasy Grounds Module, X.mod.

1) Rename the file to X.zip (acknowledge Windows' warning).
2) Right click on the filename, and select 'Extract All...' (and just use the default directory name). You will be in the extracted directory when finished.
3) Make whatever change to whatever file you want.
4) Use whatever technique you want to Select all.
5) Right click on any of the files, and select 'Send to -> -> Compressed (zipped) folder'.
6) The zipped file will be named after whatever file you right-clicked over, with a .zip filetype.
7) Rename the file X.mod.
8) Save that file wherever you want, but to use it, place it back into the modules subdirectory under your '...\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds' subdirectory.

And for me, this worked, and all is well.

Thanks!

- s.west

Andraax
October 10th, 2014, 00:35
If you use the command line tools on Linux you don't even need to do the renames. They will allow you to extract from / compress into a file named anything, even ".mod".

damned
October 10th, 2014, 02:44
youcan also do this in windows if you use a utility like 7zip