PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a Campaign within FG?

swest
October 9th, 2014, 18:47
Greetings,

So what is a Campaign, in FG? And, more generally, is there a description somewhere of the various directories and the overall directory hierarchy used by FG?

I had a much longer question prepared, but I'll start with just this broad question in case there is a full description somewhere of what I'm looking for.

The genesis of the question revolves around me wondering 2 things: 1) How a given Module can be used between two different Campaigns, and 2) Where are my player's Characters stored? Are they Campaign-specific?

Thanks.

- s.west

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 18:59
A "campaign" is a holder for all of the information for a game. It could be a one off game, or an ongoing series of sessions that could last many, many years. It's up to you how you actually use a "campaign" within Fantasy Grounds - you can use campaigns: to create modules for use in other campaigns, test things out, create and manage your PCs, one off sessions, ongoing sessions, etc..

The campaign database holds all of the info you access from the right hand sidebar. If you enter data in these areas they are stored in the campaign database and won't be accessible to another campaign (unless you export the data into a module).

The directory structure of the Fantasy Grounds app data directory is basically self explanatory, but I'll quickly list it here:

cache - this is where a player who connects to a GMs game downloads information - ruleset (if they don't already have it installed), campaign data, module data, extensions data, etc.. It is all encrypted so the player can't rip off stuff they don't own. There will be once directory for each different game the PC has connected to in this directory.
Campaigns - this is where the data for each of the GMs campaigns is stored. It contains the database, images, and other specific campaign info. There will be one directory per campaign. These directories map directly to the GMs "Load Campaign" list.
Characters - this is where any PCs created in "Manage Characters" are stored. This doesn't include PCs created in a campaign, which are stored in the specific campaign database on the GMs computer.
Extensions - this is where any extension files (.ext) are stored.
Modules - this is where any library, token, scenario, etc. modules are stored (.mod files).
Portraits - this is where portrait files are stored. These are image files (or portrait pack files - .ppk) that will be displayed to the local user (GM or Player) when they press the portraits button.
Rulesets - this is where the Fantasy Grounds rulesets are stored (as .pak files). Each .pak file in this directory is a specific ruleset - 3.5E, 4E, 5E, PFRPG, etc.
This is where tokens for use in the campaign are stored as image files. There are two subdirectories: shared (for tokens the players can use) and host (for tokens only the GM can access).
Utilities - currently this only holds the Character Converter application.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 19:12
Very helpful Campaign description.

Your directory structure description points up the reason for my 2nd question (about Character storage): I don't have a Characters subdirectory. All the others, but no Characters.

??

Thanks.

- s.west

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 19:17
The "characters" directory will be created the first time you create a PC in Manage Characters. If you've never used Manage Characters (and created a PC within Manage Characters) then there won't be a characters folder. This folder doesn't store PCs created in a campaign - only PCs created through Manage Characters.

Griogre
October 9th, 2014, 19:19
That just means you have not gone into Manage Characters and created a character. This is something players may do before joining a campaign to save time by building the character outside the game and then transferring the character to the GM's computer already made.

Edit: Out typed by Trenloe :p

swest
October 9th, 2014, 19:20
Hmmm... so where are the characters stored that show up when I click on 'Characters' (from an open Campaign instance)?

- s.west

Griogre
October 9th, 2014, 19:21
Inside the campaign's db.xml file.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 19:22
Hmmm... so where are the characters stored that show up when I click on 'Characters' (from an open Campaign instance)?
These are specific to a campaign, so they are stored in the campaign database for the campaign in question.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 19:28
If you want to move PCs between campaigns use the character export and import functionality (might not be available in older rulesets). This is covered under "GM Actions" in the Character Management section of the Wiki User Guides: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Character_Management

swest
October 9th, 2014, 19:31
Ok, well, suppose we complete the current campaign, and now we want those same Characters in the next... ?

Maybe that question doesn't make sense. But if not, then what would be the point of ever having a character exist outside of the context of a campaign (i.e., in the Characters directory)?

swest
October 9th, 2014, 19:32
Our posts crossed. I'll look at that.

Thanks.

- s.west

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 19:40
Ok, well, suppose we complete the current campaign, and now we want those same Characters in the next... ?
See my previous response about exporting characters from a campaign.

Maybe that question doesn't make sense. But if not, then what would be the point of ever having a character exist outside of the context of a campaign (i.e., in the Characters directory)?
The characters directory exists on the players computer, not the GM. This allows players to create and modify characters without being connected to a GM. This can be handy before they join a new campaign, if they need to create a new character while in a campaign, or if you're playing a one off game (it is very handy for Pathfinder Society games, for examples). There are lots of uses for manage characters from a player perspective.

If a player has created a character in Manager Characters they can select these characters when they are connected to a GMs game (with the same ruleset type). See the Player Actions -> Import a Character entry in the Manage Characters Wiki page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Character_Management

swest
October 9th, 2014, 19:41
Ok, so I opened the Characters from within our Campaign.

I clicked on the '/'. That enabled the export buttons on the Characters.

I clicked on the down arrow (export) of an unowned Character.

A 'Save As' window opened up (...->Program Files (x86) -> Fantasy Grounds

I selected a name for the Character (in the 'File name:' box) and received:

-------------
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\garig.xml
You don't have permission to save in this location.
Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

Would you like to save in the My Documents folder instead? (yes/no)
----------

Now, I know what the permissions problem is all about, but I guess I'm wondering why the export selection chose that location? Where should it have gone?

- s.west

swest
October 9th, 2014, 19:44
Ok, understood about the player's computer vs. GM's.

Is this different for players running the Free version of FG, and only doing Character creation (and saving (?)) while connected to my server?

The characters directory exists on the players computer, not the GM. This allows players to create and modify characters without being connected to a GM.

If a player has created a character in Manager Characters they can select these characters when they are connected to a GMs game (with the same ruleset type). See the Player Actions -> Import a Character entry in the Manage Characters Wiki page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Character_Management

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 19:45
Store your exported character anywhere you want - just remember where you select. It's your character details in a file, so store it just like any other document within your usual file structure.

When you come to import the file you will be asked which file you want to import - so remember where you saved the original.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 19:46
I guess I need to go to a Player's screen to see how some of this operates.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 19:46
Ok, I get it.

Store your exported character anywhere you want - just remember where you select. It's your character details in a file, so store it just like any other document within your usual file structure.

When you come to import the file you will be asked which file you want to import - so remember where you saved the original.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 19:48
Is this different for players running the Free version of FG, and only doing Character creation (and saving (?)) while connected to my server?
If any version of Fantasy Grounds is connected to the GM and the player makes a character it will be saved in the GMs campaign. This is the same for all versions of Fantasy Grounds connecting to a Full or Ultimate GM.

Manage Characters is a specific mode of Fantasy Grounds - select it from the first start up screen of Fantasy Grounds. While in Manage Characters your character edits etc. be stored locally.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 19:50
But in the Manage Characters mode of FG, you aren't connected to a server, are you?

If any version of Fantasy Grounds is connected to the GM and the player makes a character it will be saved in the GMs campaign. This is the same for all versions of Fantasy Grounds connecting to a Full or Ultimate GM.

Manage Characters is a specific mode of Fantasy Grounds - select it from the first start up screen of Fantasy Grounds. While in Manage Characters your character edits etc. be stored locally.

[edit] I'm going to go to a player window...

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 19:51
But in the Manage Characters mode of FG, you aren't connected to a server, are you?
That's why the character is stored locally in the \characters directory when using Manage Characters.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 20:08
Understood. But what I meant by that was that my FREE players have to be connected to my server to create and <save> Characters, no?

That's why the character is stored locally in the \characters directory when using Manage Characters.

So I went to my player instance of FG (in another room), and I think I'm beginning to get it. I have to be careful not to mix GM and Player operations and capabilities.

Thanks.

- s.west

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 20:12
Understood. But what I meant by that was that my FREE players have to be connected to my server to create and <save> Characters, no?
Free players can also use manage characters, and save PCs in their local characters folder.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 20:18
Well, thank you! That fact is fundamental to, at least some of, my confusion here...

Free players can also use manage characters, and save PCs in their local characters folder.

I would have sworn that I read that they couldn't save Characters... Ok. Very helpful.

- s.west

swest
October 9th, 2014, 20:21
(from the Downloads page)

Demo version

The lite and unregistered versions of Fantasy Grounds II can be used to demo the software. Just use the installer above.

If you are running on a Mac OS, please see this link first: Installing on a Mac using WineBottler

The demo contains all the features of the full version with the following restrictions:

No new campaigns can be created.
Changes to existing campaigns are not saved between sessions.
** Characters created in the local character preparation mode are not saved. **
Hosting a game is restricted to one client connection at a time.

Is this something different than what you are referring to?

- s.west

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 20:22
I would have sworn that I read that they couldn't save Characters... Ok. Very helpful.
A lot of people have been confused over this (including me) as only recently (FG 3.0.4) were free licenses able to use Manage Characters.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 20:23
Is this something different than what you are referring to?
That page hasn't been updated with the 3.0.4 functionality change for Manage Characters.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 20:24
I see you updated my other thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22194-I-want-non-paying-Players-to-be-able-to-work-on-their-Characters-outside-of-game-time).

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 20:26
I see you updated my other thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22194-I-want-non-paying-Players-to-be-able-to-work-on-their-Characters-outside-of-game-time).
Yup. :)

Callum
October 9th, 2014, 21:28
The genesis of the question revolves around me wondering 2 things: 1) How a given Module can be used between two different Campaigns, and 2) Where are my player's Characters stored? Are they Campaign-specific?

A common approach to using campaigns in FG (and one I use myself) is to have a "base" campaign in which all the PCs are stored. Then, a new campaign is created for each adventure that the PCs are going to play through, and exported as a module. In the "base" campaign, you then open the module for the adventure that the players are currently enjoying. This helps to avoid your base campaign getting too bloated, as you can close the module when the players have finished that adventure. It also means that the same adventure module could (potentially) be used with many different sets of PCs.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 22:54
This sounds like a great way to manage things, but I am going to need a little clarification.

A common approach to using campaigns in FG (and one I use myself) is to have a "base" campaign in which all the PCs are stored. Then, a new campaign is created for each adventure that the PCs are going to play through, and exported as a module. In the "base" campaign, you then open the module for the adventure that the players are currently enjoying. This helps to avoid your base campaign getting too bloated, as you can close the module when the players have finished that adventure. It also means that the same adventure module could (potentially) be used with many different sets of PCs.

So the 'base' campaign, which has the characters in it, knows about the current module you have open. Is there any Module-residue left in the base campaign after the Module has been closed? Is the only difference in the 'base' campaign before opening and after closing the Module, the Character records? Like their levels or gear or whatever?

Thanks for the tip.

- s.west

Andraax
October 10th, 2014, 00:42
If you edit anything in the modules from the campaign, then the modified information is saved into a file in the campaign's subdirectory "moduledb". Say your module is named "Bearing a Grduge.mod". If you edit anything in the module, then those changes are not saved in the module, but in a file called "Bearing a Grudge.xml" under "moduledb". This way, if you're using the same module from two or more campaigns, any changes you make are for that campaign only - the other campaigns don't see them. Once you're completely done using that module, you can safely delete the associated .xml file from moduledb to remove any residual stuff (but those files tend to be *really* small anyway).

swest
October 10th, 2014, 01:03
Very helpful.

Thanks, a lot.

- s.west

Trenloe
October 10th, 2014, 01:07
You might also want to have a look at Xorn's Campaign Management video from the Wiki - it says it's for 4E, but 90% of it is relevant to general campaign management/module use. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/tutorial/4ECampaignManagement.wmv

Callum
October 10th, 2014, 15:33
So the 'base' campaign, which has the characters in it, knows about the current module you have open. Is there any Module-residue left in the base campaign after the Module has been closed? Is the only difference in the 'base' campaign before opening and after closing the Module, the Character records? Like their levels or gear or whatever?
If you make changes to the characters - such as adjusting their levels or gear - then these will persist when you close the module, since you're making changes to the data in the base campaign (that is, the PC records). No other "residue" will be left, unless you want it to be - you can drag items across from the module into the base campaign, writing the information into the base campaign data.

Trenloe
October 10th, 2014, 18:20
As Callum says, anything in a module that you want to persist when you close the module you will need to drag into the campaign itself (story, images, NPCs, encounters, etc.). The main thing I can think of is data that the players will have dragged to their character sheets - most likely entries from a library module (special ability descriptions, etc.). In most CoreRPG rulesets item information is completely copied from the module when an item is added to a character's inventory - so items won't be an issue.