PDA

View Full Version : Noob question: map resizing/map rotation

swest
October 9th, 2014, 17:31
Greetings,

Ok, I have a Module for Burnt Offerings that I am experimenting with (thanks Stargrove!)

I brought out the Swallowtail Festival map, and I am immediately stymied... The map is
from the Town Square Flip map, and is oriented like a book page (portrait). When it opens,
it is scaled so that you can see the width, but not the entire height... so, I used my mouse
wheel to shrink it, expecting to be able to see the <entire> map on my screen.

Not so.

There is a limit on how small I can make it... so that I can <never> see the entire map in
my FG window. So, that's problem/question number one.

Secondly, for some reason, when they saved that map in the Flip Map, they saved it at 180
degrees out from the orientation of Sandpoint... i.e., in that map, the cathedral steps should
be on the right, but they're on the left. But, no matter, let's just say that I want to rotate
the map by 90 or 180 degrees. Obviously, I could modify the original map, but is there no way
to rotate the map within FG?

So, executive summary:

1) Mouse wheel resizing appears to be limited in how small it will make the map.
2) Is there any way within FG to rotate maps?

Thanks.

- s.west

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 17:38
1) Mouse-wheel zooms within the bounds of the image window, it doesn't resize. Resize the image window within FG (using the edge drag hooks or CTRL+LeftClick+Drag within the image window itself) then zoom in/out with the mouse wheel. You may need to resize slightly a couple more times to get it the size you want. You might find it easiest to make the image window quite small, zoom out as far as you can and then slowly increase the size of the window until it is the size, and the view you want.
2) You can't ratate the image within FG - you'll need to do changes directly to the image in a graphics app outside of FG.

Andraax
October 9th, 2014, 17:45
Make the window smaller. The most you can zoom is limited by the size of the window (it won't let you zoom past the point where one of the dimensions of the image is smaller than the equivalent dimension of the window).

And you do realize that you can drag the map around inside the window, right?

Trenloe
October 9th, 2014, 17:58
Another tip is to make the image size the width or height you want then right-click in the image, select Resize (the "East" selection) and then adjust vertical or adjust horizontal. Adjust vertical will adjust the vertical height of the image window to match the image dimensions without changing the width of the image window. Likewise, selecting adjust horzontal will change the horizontal size of the image window without changing the vertical height. This will then show the whole of the image within the image window.

EDIT: As, in general, computer screens are wider than they are higher; it is usually best to make the image window the height that you want and then use Resize -> Adjust Horizontal (the "south" option). This will, unless the image is very wide, resize the image to fit on the screen. You can then adjust from there.

swest
October 9th, 2014, 18:23
Very helpful guys. I figured that there was no rotation, and, yeah, that's ok, I'll take care of that in the image itself.

w.r.t. zoom out, yeah, my problem was what Andraax said: "(it won't let you zoom past the point where one of the dimensions of the image is smaller than the equivalent dimension of the window)"

And now, with the other guidance from Trenloe, w.r.t. the adjust vertical/horizontal, I'm caught up.

Thank you very much.

- s.west

Owastell
February 11th, 2018, 04:25
Is the max size limited by the ruleset? I'm using The Dresden Files one. It's clunky and the images window is very small. I'm planning to modify it once I figure out how.

Moon Wizard
February 11th, 2018, 04:39
Window size limits are specified by the ruleset. Usually, rulesets specify a minimum size, but not a maximum size. In older rulesets without the resize handles in the corner (as well as on newer rulesets), you can resize a window by holding CTRL and left dragging on the window.

Regards,
JPG

Owastell
February 11th, 2018, 04:47
The largest I can get is a square about 4 inches by 4 inches. It means I can't show the whole map.

damned
February 11th, 2018, 05:38
The Dresden Files ruleset is an older one and it may well have a maximum window size set for it...

Trenloe
February 12th, 2018, 17:50
The Dresden Files ruleset is an older one and it may well have a maximum window size set for it...
Yup, it does. Minimum 200x200 and maximum 700x700. In adventure_images.xml:

<windowclass name="imagewindow">
<frame>imagebox</frame>
<sharable />
<minimize>minimized_image</minimize>
<sizelimits>
<dynamic>
<hostcontrol />
</dynamic>
<maximum>
<width>700</width>
<height>700</height>
</maximum>
<minimum>
<width>200</width>
<height>200</height>
</minimum>
</sizelimits>

@Owastell - you could try removing the <maximum> tag section and seeing if that works OK for you. There may have been a reason why the developer limited the size, or it may just have been a hangover from a previous ruleset... I've just done a quick test and it seems to work OK...