PDA

View Full Version : Servers down UK mornings

VenomousFiligree
October 4th, 2014, 13:19
The servers seem to be going down more and more in the mornings UK, can't access the site or use FG alias connect. Any reason for this?

hawkwind
October 6th, 2014, 07:55
it only ever seems to occurs when I got post PFS chronicle sheets

ddavison
October 6th, 2014, 17:00
Our server is pretty constantly hit by DDoS attacks originating from China. Occasionally we get hit by people in Russia, but mostly it is China. We keep toying with settings to find the right balance of firewall settings so that it doesn't get overwhelmed.

damned
October 6th, 2014, 23:38
drop all packets from China...

Zeus
October 7th, 2014, 08:46
drop all packets from China...

That might work but its a sledgehammer of a solution. Dropping all traffic originating from Chine would stop valid license users from being able to connect from China - having said that I have no idea how many (if any) Chinese resident customers we have. In addition, whilst the launch of the DDoS might originate from China, there's a good chance these hacking groups will be using botnets to deliver the DoS (hence the word distributed in DDoS), there's no guarantee that the compromised botnet systems participating in the attacks are also hosted in China.

Also, its easy (if you know how) to spoof your IP to mask your location, plenty of users out there using VPNs for example which can also mask your location. For example if you trace my IP you'll end up in Sweden or Denmark but not the UK ;)

damned
October 7th, 2014, 09:30
I don't know how many users you have in China either but while it is happening in the middle of the night for north America and in the morning in Europe it is happening in prime gaming time in Australia and Asia.
On one of my webservers which hosts over 200 websites I ended up blocking all of China because that server would experience periods of up to 200,000 brute force hack attempts in a single 3 day window. Since dropping China and north Korea I get less than 1% of the hack attempts.

Willot
October 7th, 2014, 10:06
We drop moon wizard with his laptop into china on a dark night.

I can see it now! A chinese military guard patrols past a bush; rifle slung over his shoulder. The camera zooms in on the bush as he passes by, a black faced Moon Wizard slowly slicing his cheek with the sharp end of a usb stick whispering ...I see youuuuuuuu......

damned
October 7th, 2014, 11:30
moon shaman....