PDA

View Full Version : Mythos Points

biojerk
October 1st, 2014, 21:14
What exactly do the Cthulhu Mythos points do? They seem to start off at 99? But what does that mean exact and how do you utilize them in game? I've done some reading in PDFs I have, as well as the ruleset I bought for FG, but I can't seem to find anything about them really.

Trenloe
October 1st, 2014, 21:42
Cthulhu Mythos is a skill - knowledge of the great old ones and their minions. This starts at 0.

Your maximum sanity starts at 99, but is reduced by each point you have in the Cthulhu Mythos skill - the more you know about them the less sane you can be!

I think you're seeing the "99 - Cthulhu Mythos" entry on character sheets? This is the maximum sanity and is 99 minus Cthulhu Mythos.

Valarian
October 1st, 2014, 22:02
It is the skill of knowing the true nature of the Cthulhu universe. Occult is knowledge of occult theories and conspiracy. Cthulhu Mythos is the skill required to know that old tentacle face sleeps in the sunken city of Rhyleh, or that the scaly hunched creature on the beach was a deep one. Needless to say, this knowledge has an effect on one's stability.

biojerk
October 2nd, 2014, 04:23

This is what I'm seeing. The part where it says 99 - Cthulhu Mythos points" and then in the box next to it, it says "99" and it's not letting me change the "99" that is in the box. Is this normal?

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2014, 04:53
As I mentioned above in post #2, this is the Maximum Sanity and it is calculated as 99 minus the Cthulhu Mythos skill. It will only be reduced if the Cthulhu Mythos skill is more than 0. Cthulhu Mythos is a special skill that starts at 0 and usually only increases during the game when PCs get a chance to read esoteric tomes etc. and gain knowledge of the terrible Cthulhu Mythos.

biojerk
October 2nd, 2014, 15:19
I feel stupid, but I still don't understand really. I understand what you mean about what the points do and stuff and what they are for, and could probably do this on a paper character sheet with no problem, but as for in the game FG -- if that's the case shouldn't I be able to change the "99" that's in the little box? Otherwise it seems that there is no place to keep up with Mythos Points if I'm not able to edit that box. Or do you keep track of that somewhere else on the charcter sheet? Like in notes or something?

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2014, 16:53
The Cthulhu Mythos skill is tracked on the skills tab of the character sheet.

biojerk
October 2nd, 2014, 16:55
Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Okay, I got it now. Thank you SO much and thank you for your patience with me.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 10th, 2015, 21:27
Sanity is my POWx5 right?
If I had 15 in POW I had 75 on Sanity. right?
If I had 75 I had 75 on mythos and 24% on Mythos (Skill)?

Trenloe
March 10th, 2015, 21:36
Sanity is my POWx5 right?
Correct.

If I had 15 in POW I had 75 on Sanity. right?
This is your starting SAN. It can go up or down (mostly down).

If I had 75 I had 75 on mythos and 24% on Mythos (Skill)?
75 would be your SAN score. The Cthulhu Mythos skill that starts at 0% and increases slowly due to reading terrible tomes, spell books, etc.. The more you know about the Cthulhu Mythos the less sane you will be. So, your maximum possible SAN is 99 - Cthulhu Mythos skill (99 minus Cthulhu Mythos). Cthulu Mythos skill starts at 0%.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 10th, 2015, 22:54
Ow...understood...thanks Trenloe.