PDA

View Full Version : Module Organization Question (and possibly suggestion)

Grimaxe
September 30th, 2014, 09:27
Something I noticed when creating modules was that they all seem to get listed in the campaigns list (obviously because I create new campaigns to start creating the modules).

My current project has been Rappan Athuk and transcribing it in all its glory into FG, however because the dungeon is so exhaustively extensive this leads to basically every chapter being its own module / campaign file for organization sake. Now with so many chapters my campaign list upon opening FG gets pretty darn cluttered and while I know how to export and link modules together, I was wondering if there was a way to separate them into sub folders that would appear on the campaign list.

So I could open up my load campaign list and see a list of campaigns and or folders (to keep larger campaigns made up of a multitude of modules together), I still use a special naming convention for easy identification but being able to segregate them into folders on the campaign list would be a huge boon that would add to the list of amazing features in this wonderful piece of online pnp game running heaven.

Griogre
October 1st, 2014, 04:18
Currently there isn't any way to have folders and sub folders for campaign or module files though module files are only shown if they can used in the ruleset you have open. I hear you on RA. When I ran that in FG I would put 5 or 6 levels or sublevels in a module just so I wouldn't have a too many modules.

Grimaxe
October 1st, 2014, 17:05
That's weird, wonder why that functionality got dropped in fg2 :(

Trenloe
October 1st, 2014, 18:27
That's weird, wonder why that functionality got dropped in fg2 :(
I don't think anything's changed, but I could be wrong - could you explain what you're referring to?

There was also a prototype M_W put together of a "journal" to organise campaign data: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21243-Journal-Prototype But this was just a prototype and may/may not get implemented in future, but it gives you an idea of what has been discussed about future interface direction.

Grimaxe
October 1st, 2014, 22:56
I don't think anything's changed, but I could be wrong - could you explain what you're referring to?

There was also a prototype M_W put together of a "journal" to organise campaign data: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21243-Journal-Prototype But this was just a prototype and may/may not get implemented in future, but it gives you an idea of what has been discussed about future interface direction.

Ah cool, :) Yea I've been kinda out of the loop with FG for a lil bit, after moving and 9 months of job searching working temp stuff has kinda left me with less free time then id like.

I might look at it later, but really the main thing im looking for is to just reduce clutter in the load campaign screen by having the option to consolidate campaigns into subfolders.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2014, 00:02
... but really the main thing im looking for is to just reduce clutter in the load campaign screen by having the option to consolidate campaigns into subfolders.
Oh, you're talking about the list before you even load up a campaign - i.e. the list of actual campaigns, not the module data once you're in a campaign?

There's no direct way in the FG load campaign interface to have anything other than a list. If there are a bunch of campaign that you rarely use or don't use anymore (and don't want to delete them) then you can move them to a backup directory through Windows explorer. If you need a campaign later, move it back to the FG \campaigns directory before you load FG up. Not ideal, but it does allow you to keep your frequently used campaign list to a manageable size.

Grimaxe
October 2nd, 2014, 00:45
Oh, you're talking about the list before you even load up a campaign - i.e. the list of actual campaigns, not the module data once you're in a campaign?

Yea, exactly.

There's no direct way in the FG load campaign interface to have anything other than a list. If there are a bunch of campaign that you rarely use or don't use anymore (and don't want to delete them) then you can move them to a backup directory through Windows explorer. If you need a campaign later, move it back to the FG \campaigns directory before you load FG up. Not ideal, but it does allow you to keep your frequently used campaign list to a manageable size.

That stinks, but good idea, thanks :)