PDA

View Full Version : The Dungeon about maps

The Dungeon
September 29th, 2014, 17:44
Quick ten minute video about an Idea video says it all really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLQPw9Hbd7g&list=UUiy3TBbi4HCS3ZMq-CDhUsQ

sukEEt
September 29th, 2014, 19:42
I like this idea, but it seems like a lot of extra work and jiggery is required. maybe for an end-encounter with a boss, i would be willing to run something like this in a game of mine. great work. is there a way to make the doors a bit see-through? maybe you could somehow make all the doors a separate layer, like with advanced images and and line it up just right with pre-maid markers on the floor plan, and then the doors could be on the top level and characters on the middle or top, depending on whether they are behind the doors or in front of them ...

sukEEt
September 29th, 2014, 19:43
i wish i knew how to write code ...

Trenloe
September 29th, 2014, 20:26
Looks interesting...

The reason you were having a lot of issues with the map (zooming/panning etc.) is because there is a lot of white-space in your image. FG will load the whole image and limit the view to the image only - if there's a lot of white space around you'll get issues very similar to what you're getting.

A few hints:

Remove as much white space from around your image as possible.
When you first open an image it will appear at the full dimensions of the image. The first thing you should do is resize the window (with CTRL+click-and-drag within the window or using the window edges) and then zoom using the mouse wheel to the viewsize you want.
You can pan within the window by holding down the mouse-wheel and moving your mouse.
Panning only works within the bounds of the image - FG doesn't allow panning beyond the edges of an image.

More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Windows and here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Viewing

The Dungeon
September 29th, 2014, 22:14
Well the doors were see-through to start with so I don't see it being a problem at this time I am hoping to make these maps available to every one for a few dollars for my time but not fixed as yet, so if you want to give room Ideas feel free, and different door styles in a pack so I don't see any problems as yet.

The Dungeon
September 29th, 2014, 22:17
Thank you, that is really helpful, yet again you have come to my rescue Thank you Trenloe.

The Dungeon
October 1st, 2014, 12:18
OK first map is a trial map, and is free to use at no cost, I'm placing it in here so you can try it out, and to see if you like it or not, I hope you do 7581 I called it the Green Dragon inn and is not complete by any means but I wanted to give you the chance to use it. Just place it in your Maps folder and close it and with in your list of maps you will see the name, The green dragon inn. I have cut down the size of the image for faster loading hope this will help it is 2000x1000 if you need smaller let me know and together we will get the right size for all of us,7582 I also through you may need a character to move around the map so here is a isometric Racoon warrior to play with. I named the file wrong, we don't have Raccoons in England except in a zoo maybe ? but never mind you can always change it. 7583

Trenloe
October 1st, 2014, 15:30
Thanks for sharing.

Just as an FYI - this map is quite large (over 3MB) and this can take quite a while to share with the players through FG. It's the file size, not necessarily the dimensions, that makes the difference in Fantasy Grounds. It's recommended that GMs "try" to keep their map file sizes to 1MB or less if at all possible - the lower the better to keep map sharing times down. This usually requires some level of lossy compression, i.e. using JPG rather than PNG (experimentation with the exact level of JPG compression to give good compression with acceptable image quality).

The Dungeon
October 1st, 2014, 16:27
Thank you I didn't realize it would come out so big a file any way Ive made it jpeg for now hoping that will ease loading time and will try and reduce its file size asap once again thank you for your unmissable help.

The Dungeon
October 2nd, 2014, 21:21
Another video on my scale needed for my different
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUiy3TBbi4HCS3ZMq-CDhUsQ&v=UntQmpdxUKU&feature=player_detailpageview point maps and possible view finder idea to help make it work other than an eye Icon which would need to be kept handy all the time.

The Dungeon
October 7th, 2014, 01:55
I am working hard to make the maps tokens and characters for my isometric view and will not be around much for a while, as I place them on my website has added extra time to it. but hopefully soon I will have some of them up and running. here's a link to it but it's not ready just yet https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Fbriandunn847.wix.com%2Fsqu ibble-toon&redir_token=6fTOOE7NxiKwtsGmCs1AcrSySgV8MTQxMjcyOT c4N0AxNDEyNjQzMzg3

The Dungeon
October 7th, 2014, 23:35
OK Ive put up a couple of Dungeon maps in the shop for you to view, they have taken quiet some time to make, but I will do more later, but for now am going to get on with some Characters and tokens, I like to view the maps as the stage and of course the characters are the actors and the tokens as the prop's so, no stage is set without it's actors or its prop's , when I've done them I will put them up in the shop for all to see.

kane280484
October 8th, 2014, 22:44
https://hobbytesoft.com/ Here is cool isometric maps software currently in development. I keep my fingers crossed for this project.

The Dungeon
October 9th, 2014, 00:50
It look really good, some where along the same lines as me but mine is of course for fantasy ground I will keep an eye open for it and wish them the best.

The Dungeon
October 12th, 2014, 10:46
The latest news on my Isometric view tokens and characters https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ildymj2bWVE Hope you enjoy.

Blackfoot
October 23rd, 2014, 21:18
It is possible to scale tokens independently, particularly if they are attached to the combat tracker. Wheeling over the token image in the tracker will scale it. You can use CTRL-wheel over a specific token to scale tokens that are NOT attached to the tracker.

You are going to have issues with grids in this isometric view.. but theoretically someone could write an extension to create an appropriately angled grid.

The Dungeon
October 23rd, 2014, 22:02
That sound great, I will give it a try out, as for the grid I was thinking that one grid square on my maps could be used as a grid instead of the in game grid, but if there is some one out there who would do that it would be wonderful, but we will see. Thank you for your help that will be most useful.

Trenloe
October 23rd, 2014, 22:17
You are going to have issues with grids in this isometric view.. but theoretically someone could write an extension to create an appropriately angled grid.
Not possible at the moment I'm afraid - the grid can't be controlled to that extent through the available API, so an extension can't be written to do this.

Blackfoot
October 23rd, 2014, 23:46
I should have figured that after the heck of a time I was having with HEX grids.

The Dungeon
October 29th, 2014, 12:28
Well not to worry, it was a good idea about the grid, but I still remember That the rules are only a guide at the end of the day, and If I as a DM would make the rulings as to the grid movements anyway I can say what I like about the movements of character lol. OK here's an example map for traveling 7813

The Dungeon
October 29th, 2014, 12:32
I am now working on outside movements using the isometric layout and its looking quiet good on that score as I can place mountains and forest Rivers and a like, so player will get the feeling of moving around from place to place as in a real adventure.

The Dungeon
October 30th, 2014, 10:06
Here's another idea a travel map for my isometric maps7818 let me know what you think ?