PDA

View Full Version : Maps - Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Torgaard
September 28th, 2014, 19:13
Players; no peeking!

Ok, so no published module is safe from my editorial brush. While the module mentioned that none of the homes in Greenest catch fire, in my mind that didn't build enough tension or possible anger in the party at all the wanton destruction, so my houses are on fire. These first maps are supposed to follow a general path through the town starting in the northwest corner of the Greenest map in the module (the little road there), where I staged the first encounter "Seek the Keep". The 2nd map follows a general path southeast through the town, with the final map being the keep (which I redesigned a little).

Scale is off a bit on these and I kinda rushed 'em (literally made the first two the night before the first adventure), so...

This next week or two I'll try to make a map for the "The Old Tunnel" out of the keep, the town church (the "Sanctuary" mission), and the old mill (the "Save the Mill" mission).

damned
September 29th, 2014, 14:59
Nice one Torgaard!

Mask_of_winter
September 29th, 2014, 15:10
Yes! Very nice maps. The houses on fire and lighting are top notch!

hawkwind
September 29th, 2014, 21:01
+1 look forward to the nest set you mentioned, I will be putting these to good use

Torgaard
September 30th, 2014, 05:06
Here's my version of "The Old Tunnel" mission:

Jarvin
October 2nd, 2014, 21:05
Thanks so much for sharing these!

Roach3000
October 16th, 2014, 01:01
what program is it you use to make these maps? they are great work, and ive used a couple since i just started running the campaign. I would like to try and make my own from time to time :)

Torgaard
October 16th, 2014, 15:19
I use Adobe Photoshop CS6. Photoshop's got a pretty steep learning curve, but there's nothing it can't do. I love it! Wish I had a job as like a graphic artist or something, but mostly I just dabble (making maps like this, etc). That being said, I've been using it for like 10 years plus and I'm still learning (a lot...like, every map I make). Note that you can't really get PS as a standalone product anymore. Adobe kinda went full-on cloud (they call it Adobe Creative Cloud), so you can get "Photoshop CC" for like ten bucks a month. But ya kinda gotta pay that pretty much... forever... if you want to keep using it.

Dundjinni and Campaign Cartographer are designed specifically for making maps like these, and they're designed to be a lot easier to use, so you might want to look at those first (if you haven't already).

Trenloe
October 16th, 2014, 15:37
Some info on different map making software here (certainly not an exhaustive list by any means): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary

optimusgoitre
October 16th, 2014, 21:27
Thank you so much for providing these. Recently getting back into D&D with friends after a very long hiatus and these are amazing!

Roach3000
October 17th, 2014, 08:09
Thanks Torgaard, turns out my girl bought Photoshop cs6 a couple months ago (full purchase, no cloud) and i can use that. No time like the present to learn a new program XD
Anyways looking forward to seeing your Mill and Sanctuary maps :)

Mistamichal
October 18th, 2014, 09:45
Great work on the maps. Fantastic quality. I'm going to be starting HotDQ in a few weeks. So, these will come in very handy. Thanks for posting them and keep them coming :)

TiCaudata
October 28th, 2014, 02:23
Just stumbled across these. Awesome.

Xanthais
October 29th, 2014, 21:18
Sweet! Can't wait for The Mill and Sanctuary ones!

Also, if you want to overlay a grid onto an image, here's a killer free tool.

https://sporkforge.com/imaging/grid.php

Torgaard
April 4th, 2015, 01:55
We got back to the game a few weeks back. That means more maps!

Whipped this up for the "Stragglers" encounter in Episode 2:

This one is supposed to be for the "Rearguard" encounter, but I never really finished it:

Torgaard
April 4th, 2015, 01:56
This is my version of the Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Dragon Hatchery:

J4P4nFre4KKK
June 18th, 2015, 16:15
Wooaaaah, these maps are awesome, you're awesome, and soon my campaigns will be awesome thanks to your maps, are more maps underway =D?

Torgaard
June 18th, 2015, 19:08
Dang, just realized I forgot to upload my "Sanctuary" map. I'll have to try'n remember that (tonight when I get home).

My campaign is kind of on a temporary hiatus, but I hope to have some more maps cooked up soon(ish).

jocoats88
July 21st, 2015, 05:00
Hey, brand new to this forum, and about to finish chapter 1 with my crew, these maps are a god send, thanks for making/posting them. You are my new favorite person :-D

midas
July 22nd, 2015, 00:12
Here's my version of "The Old Tunnel" mission:

ah yes... the tunnel where my monk almost met his demise to a surprise round of rats rolling 19's while I was rolling 2's.

DegoFlamron
July 30th, 2015, 07:19
So, I may be using some of these maps... I much appreciate the detail and effort you've put into them.

ffujita
December 4th, 2015, 03:43
Dang, just realized I forgot to upload my "Sanctuary" map. I'll have to try'n remember that (tonight when I get home).

My campaign is kind of on a temporary hiatus, but I hope to have some more maps cooked up soon(ish).

By any chance did you upload your Sanctuary map?

Torgaard
December 4th, 2015, 04:30
I actually can't find that dang thing (on my computer). It might've died with my hard drive crash awhile back. I found the church, but that's not much help.

There's some good news though! It's a little embarrassing that I'd forgotten this, but it turns out I'd posted it HERE (https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=28456) over at the Cartographer's Guild. LOL, I have like zero-recall of posting that thing. Kind of a relief I guess - at least that version of it survived. So there ya go, hope that'll work. It's unfinished, not my best work, but it's the only thing that survived the fire (so-to-speak). :o

ffujita
December 4th, 2015, 23:35
Thanks very much for the link! (and all the work that you put into those maps too)

Dwimorden
July 6th, 2016, 11:17
Thank you very much for the maps!

flipintheuib
July 15th, 2016, 10:54
Awesome! Thanks for the maps!

okamiryu
October 3rd, 2016, 04:44
just wondering if you happen to have any more of these maps?

Nylanfs
October 3rd, 2016, 13:53
Look in the Armory > Maps

And welcome to FG and the forums to both of you!

iamthetot
August 6th, 2017, 19:15
Made an account just to say thanks for the maps.

Nylanfs
August 7th, 2017, 12:22
Welcome to the forums and FG community!

endgames77
October 27th, 2018, 17:03
Awesome maps!! I'm Dming HOTDQ and these are wonderful!!! Thank you for taking the time to make & share these!

RedhandJedi
March 29th, 2020, 23:41
Fantastic maps. I like many others are using these maps in my campaign.

Thank you for sharing.

V/R,
Redhand

GameGod4Ever
May 20th, 2020, 23:27
Super thankful and super awesome, can't wait to use these. Thanks again.

1armydad
May 28th, 2020, 07:55
Hey @Torgaard! These maps are awesome! The ones that came with the module are okay until you actually try to resize them for use in combat. The ones you made Rock! I totally appreciate your time in making these! Did you happen to make any more for that module or do you know of anyone else that did?

Thank you again!