PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e- Lost Mine of Phandelver

ransolot
September 28th, 2014, 15:47
Hey everyone. I am looking to start a D&D 5e game to run through Lost Mine of Phandelver (starter set module). This will be my first run of 5e, so rules may have questions at times, but I am by no means new to GMing. I would like to do a text game because I feel it helps to really get into character. I understand that it takes a bit more time, but I am fine with that. This would be a game that I would run on Sunday mornings (around 8am PST) most likely weekly, but may have to skip a week at times. I can only do Sundays because this is my only day off work.

HEAVY ROLEPAY IS A MUST! I do not like GMing for powergamers, min/maxers or anyone who thinks numbers matter more than story.

We will be using the pre-gens from the starter set box as well. You can download the pre-gen characters and the basic rules for free on wizards website here (https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/rpg_starterset)

This is to see if I can get some interest. If we can get at least 3 players, I would be more than happy to run this.

Thanks everyone!

texaspoet
September 28th, 2014, 19:22
I'm interested in giving it a try! I haven't been on Fantasy Grounds since 2008, so I'd have to relearn everything, since it's all new now. I believe 8 am PST is 10 am Central, so that's a good time for me. Are you going to allow characters we make up, or stick to pregens? I have the PHB, and I've been gaming since '78.

Thanks for your consideration!

ransolot
September 28th, 2014, 21:02
We will be using the pre-gens. Sorry I forgot to mention that, but you did remind me so I updated the original post! Thank you!

texaspoet
September 28th, 2014, 22:15
Awesome, when are you thinking of starting? I'm up to play any character class.

ransolot
September 28th, 2014, 23:00
Im thinking maybe in a couple of weeks. Depends on when we get enough players. I have created a game listing on the game calendar that you can find at this link-

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1280

MerlinAmbrose
September 30th, 2014, 06:19
Thank you, Ransolot, for the invitation...very much looking forward to the experience.

Well, we got three.....

Ciao,
Merlin

texaspoet
October 1st, 2014, 03:38
Cool! Hi guys! I live in Austin, TX.

MerlinAmbrose
October 1st, 2014, 04:21
Sounds like we have a good nucleus going.

I usually played spellcasters (long ago in a galaxy far away), but I think the halfling rogue is something I can do justice to while settling in with the new rules, and learning how to do this online instead of in-person. That part is totally new for me. The last time I played any *real* DnD (the NWN computer game from last decade [sadly] doesn't really count) was before 2nd ed came out....late 80's.

I have the PHB and Amazon says I will get my MM on Thursday.

I am working on my character concept, but I'm not sure how much is kosher to discuss .... what are you others tending towards, for your characters?

Emerald_wind
October 1st, 2014, 08:01
Looks like a good basis for a group, now to round it out a bit...

So I'm going to opt for the fighter. I usually end up with the cleric, so this time I'm going to try something else. I think I'm going to go with the Human Fighter - the folk hero (hopefully I don't get killed - like most heroes). I look forward to playing with everyone.

I've played every (no seriously EVERY!!) edition of the game since it was first printed. So far from the few sessions I've had playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, I think I am really going to like 5th edition.

MerlinAmbrose
October 1st, 2014, 09:31
Nice, Emerald_wind.

That gives us two dex-based characters, both ranged....one stealthy scout and one (mainly) ranged damage-dealer. It would be great if we get the cleric (gotta have healing!) and the tank fighter looks good too. The elven wizard looks interesting, so, lots of good choices left.

Methinks we'll be doing a lot of sneaking and ambushing....stock up on arrows!! :)

ransolot
October 3rd, 2014, 03:32
Looking great so far. I would like to try to hold off for one more player. If we don't have another by Sunday the 5th, then the three of you should do (I hope, I'll be learning 5e on this one too guys!). So, I will set the first date of play for Sunday October 12th. I do not believe I have anything going that weekend.

P.S.- If any of you know a GOOD player that fits what we are trying to do here, please invite them to try to get that fourth person. Thanks all!

traidian
October 4th, 2014, 02:03
Hey, if there is still room I'd be interested in joining, and would be happy to run a cleric. Let me know if you have the room, thanks!

ransolot
October 4th, 2014, 02:56
Yeah, still room for one more. Head on over and sign up and I will close sign ups

ransolot
October 5th, 2014, 03:51
Still room for one more. Last spot will be first come first serve!

Manchine
October 8th, 2014, 01:40
I PMed you Emerald_wind.

Manchine
October 8th, 2014, 04:54
Emerald sent you another PM. =) What are people playing.

MerlinAmbrose
October 9th, 2014, 03:25
Hello, Manchine. Glad to have you in the party.

I am playing the lightfoot halfling rogue (Milo Tealeaf...altered the background somewhat). Emerald Wind is playing the Folk Hero fighter. The wizard will be very useful!!

I am hoping we pick up a cleric before we get started.

Looking forward to Sunday.

ransolot
October 9th, 2014, 03:35
That would be nice if texaspoet does do the cleric. It would be a nice, "standard" party.

ransolot
October 9th, 2014, 03:36
And by the way, sign ups are closed... Group full

Manchine
October 9th, 2014, 03:40
I thought we had to play the characters in the Lost Mine campaign.... or can we make up our own? I would still do a Wizard just my own wizard. =)

ransolot
October 9th, 2014, 03:42
Starter set characters

Manchine
October 9th, 2014, 03:49
Starter set characters

For some odd reason I was thinking there was only 4 in there. =)

ransolot
October 9th, 2014, 04:02
Yes, we are using starter set characters. Merlin just slightly altered the characters background. Is this what you are referring to?

Manchine
October 9th, 2014, 04:16
Yes, we are using starter set characters. Merlin just slightly altered the characters background. Is this what you are referring to?
When you said to Texas play the cleric that would make a standard party. .....when I was thinking there is only a cleric left.

ransolot
October 9th, 2014, 04:17
Oh no, there are two different fighters in the starter set

ransolot
October 10th, 2014, 03:23
So, still haven't heard back from texaspoet and I PM'd him and all. So, are you guys still good with going with just the three of us if I don't hear back from him?

Emerald_wind
October 10th, 2014, 03:28
I'm good with three, will be a bit tougher without a cleric, but I'm eager to get started.

Manchine
October 10th, 2014, 03:42
If we don't hear back from him I will switch to the cleric. That way we have some HEALING. =) Specially for 3 people.

Emerald_wind
October 10th, 2014, 03:53
Don't worry about changing, it might be nice to have the firepower, though I may need to change to the noble for the close combat ability, especially with only three, although you are right, healing would definitely be a bonus.

ransolot
October 11th, 2014, 02:19
So long as you guys are good with it then, looks like this Sunday! Hopefully no TPK ;)

Emerald_wind
October 11th, 2014, 02:21
Yeah. There's only two back up characters. Lol!

Manchine
October 11th, 2014, 02:23
If only 3 show up I will be the cleric. =) Otherwise I will be the Wizzy.

MerlinAmbrose
October 11th, 2014, 18:25
ok, one for all and all for one, then.

It will dictate the least confrontational playstyle we can manage, in-character. Lots of ambush, deception, etc.

So....will the characters already be created on your server, Ransolot? When do we get the IP address?

Guys, please be aware I am a total FG neophyte.

See you all tomorrow morning.

Excelsior!

ransolot
October 12th, 2014, 00:57
Oh sorry, I do not have the characters on the server. Please make them and you can import them. I will PM you all the server address now

Emerald_wind
October 12th, 2014, 02:29
Funny, I WAS going to make the character, then I thought... No, we're using the pregen characters so he'll have them loaded.
Oh well...

ransolot
October 12th, 2014, 02:48
I was going to try to but my work schedule is way to hectic and it took a lot of prep work to get it to where I have it now in order to run a text game

Emerald_wind
October 12th, 2014, 02:51
Not really a problem, just kicking myself for not trusting my instincts...

MerlinAmbrose
October 12th, 2014, 03:35
I still can't make characters on my install of FG. If one of you would do the pregen rogue, I'll edit it for the changes when the server goes up tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Emerald_wind
October 12th, 2014, 03:36
I'll whip it up for you.

MerlinAmbrose
October 12th, 2014, 03:37
You're a lifesaver, Emerald. See you tomorrow morning. Ta.

Manchine
October 12th, 2014, 03:40
I will make up the mage and the cleric just in case. =)

Manchine
October 12th, 2014, 06:29
Got both of them done.

ransolot
October 12th, 2014, 15:26
Server is up so you guys can jump on at any time

Manchine
October 12th, 2014, 15:49
SHHHH be very very quiet. =)

ransolot
October 12th, 2014, 19:22
I had an absolute BLAST today you guys! My first impression of playing 5e is VERY GOOD! I cannot wait to finish this out!

MerlinAmbrose
October 12th, 2014, 19:32
I had a great time too.

Excellent play from everyone, imho.

I vote for a big round of applause for our DM. And a standing vote of thanks to Emerald_wind, FG expert extraordinaire...his library module made a huge difference, and his skillful play of *two* characters was just outstanding.

Manchine
October 12th, 2014, 20:31
Had fun woo hoo. I am DMing the 5th edition so this is a change.

Emerald_wind
October 12th, 2014, 21:32
I had a great time too.

Excellent play from everyone, imho.

I vote for a big round of applause for our DM!!.

I second that!!

ransolot
October 14th, 2014, 01:36
Thanks guys!

MerlinAmbrose
October 18th, 2014, 03:48
Checking in with everyone.

Confused: are we playing this Sunday? Making sure I have it straight.

Emerald_wind
October 18th, 2014, 08:18
As far as I know the Dm is at a con, so no game this week, continuing next week. But yeah, I realize he posted game info for this Sunday.

MerlinAmbrose
October 18th, 2014, 08:32
Thanks, Emerald. Yah, that' s what I thought I remembered.

So, unless I see a post from Ransolot that we *are* playing, I'll expect our next session to be Oct 26th.

pxbest
October 18th, 2014, 16:06
Doh, looks like I missed the fun on this one! If you ever need another player, hit me up!

ransolot
October 18th, 2014, 17:22
Hey everyone. Yeah, I'm at a con this weekend and the game will be the 26th. Is it still showing the 20th for you? I just checked and it's showing the 26th.

Also, we have our cleric now as well!

pxbest
October 18th, 2014, 17:27
Woo Hoo!

Hey everyone. Yeah, I'm at a con this weekend and the game will be the 26th. Is it still showing the 20th for you? I just checked and it's showing the 26th.

Also, we have our cleric now as well!

pxbest
October 18th, 2014, 17:35
Quick question, are the characters already made, or do I need to go create and import mine? Since I haven't had much experience with FG i'm still a little shaky on spell creation and such.

ransolot
October 18th, 2014, 17:42
The character is already there. We will just have to change the name and the token and you're good to go

Manchine
October 19th, 2014, 21:34
Hopefully Ransolot youre having fun at the con. =)

pxbest
October 21st, 2014, 00:44
I'm actually bummed we gotta wait until Sunday =P Reading up in the players handbook until then.

Emerald_wind
October 21st, 2014, 01:32
Me too! Totally looking forward to next game!

Manchine
October 21st, 2014, 01:32
He's only using the beginners guide thingy. Not the players handbook.

pxbest
October 21st, 2014, 01:34
All good. I don't think it'll hurt to read it.

Emerald_wind
October 21st, 2014, 01:35
Agreed. I've read it and parsed it for FG

Manchine
October 21st, 2014, 01:54
Oh most definitely. Heck I run a 5thed d and d group on saturdays. With the new rules they keep me on my toes. I am learning a lot from them.

ransolot
October 21st, 2014, 03:01
Good to hear that everyone is looking forward to Sunday. It really sounds like you guys are having fun!

Manchine
October 21st, 2014, 03:10
Having a blast. Can't wait for sunday and to be just a player. =)

pxbest
October 21st, 2014, 15:38
Just need someone to get me the login info before game time. I'd like a chance to look over the character a bit if I can before then. If not, it's not a big deal.

ransolot
October 23rd, 2014, 01:51
Is everyone good with this Sunday morning? I only ask because there are only 3 of us that confirmed on the game calendar. Just wanting to make sure. Thanks all!

Emerald_wind
October 23rd, 2014, 02:37
I'm ready to go!

Manchine
October 23rd, 2014, 02:48
I am all ready to go. =) 11am eastern time. =)

pxbest
October 23rd, 2014, 03:56
I'm ready. Calendar says 9 am and says all times are Cst. But 11 eastern would be 10cst right?

Manchine
October 23rd, 2014, 04:03
I keep forgetting I gotta click that yes. =) Its 11am eastern time for me that's all I know for sure but if I figured it out right CST time is 10 am.

pxbest
October 26th, 2014, 15:42
Thank god! We're back up!

ransolot
October 26th, 2014, 15:45
Server is up now

pxbest
October 26th, 2014, 15:45
Dont have the info =\

Manchine
October 26th, 2014, 21:47
Fun Fun Fun.

ransolot
October 26th, 2014, 21:49
Sorry if you guys were still trying to level up. I just got back home and found my computer asleep.... :(

Manchine
October 26th, 2014, 22:06
We all finished.

MerlinAmbrose
October 27th, 2014, 03:43
Folks, that was a great session!

This party has great teamwork. It's a joy to play with you all. I think it makes a big difference that we all are or have been DM's.

We had bad rolls early on and got into a situation that would or could easily have been a TPK if our luck hadn't turned. Without the very effective mutual support we all displayed, it could have been a disaster...instead, we have a story we'll tell for quite a while. A famous victory at the goblin cave.

Kudos to our DM and to all my fellow players!

ransolot
October 29th, 2014, 04:10
I agree 100%! AND, I never let up on my rolls either. There was never a situation where I said "Nah, he missed you". Don't get me wrong, I am NEVER a DM who tries to kill the party (I find no fun in that at all. I like to see the "heros" come out on top!) but I wanted to see how the system would handle these situations. And I have to say, it balanced out VERY well!

With all of that said, I am still good for this Sunday, but please be patient as I may have some AFK's. I am getting new TV service put in and I may have to make trips out to work with the installer. I hope this will be ok with everyone.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to playing this weekend!

pxbest
November 2nd, 2014, 14:50
I swear there is something wrong with my time on this website. It says 9am CST game time lol. Ahh well, one more hour. I can wait ^_^

Emerald_wind
November 2nd, 2014, 15:01
For some reason the game is still listed in Daylight saving time. One more hour! Lol

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 15:46
Maybe he forgot about the time change. =)

Emerald_wind
November 2nd, 2014, 16:02
Looks like we're all hanging out here waiting for the DM

pxbest
November 2nd, 2014, 16:03
Doh

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 16:09
LOL I even got up early enough to take a shower before hand and eat breakfast. =)

Emerald_wind
November 2nd, 2014, 16:12
Nice! Hopefully the GM shows up soon!

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 16:20
Pokes the DM.

pxbest
November 2nd, 2014, 16:22
hahaha

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 16:23
Needless to say I am SLOWLY building a New Campaign for 5e. All centered around Orlbar. I am no where near ready to DM but I am scouring the Internet for Maps and setting things up. =) Although I did find the CAVES of Chaos which I really want to use. =)

pxbest
November 2nd, 2014, 16:26
I'd hope we would continue on something else when this campaign ends =P

Emerald_wind
November 2nd, 2014, 16:26
Caves of Chaos is a pretty awesome old-school adventure. Nice if you can find maps that someone has made for them. Some of those cartographers are awesome.

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 16:27
That B2 was the first adventure I remember having.

Emerald_wind
November 2nd, 2014, 16:34
DA2: Temple of the Frog God was the first one I ever owned, but I do well remember B2: Keep on the Borderlands - we had tons of fun with that one!

ransolot
November 2nd, 2014, 16:36
Guys, sorry for the delay on the game. I've been dealing with the cable company all morning. They were suppose to only shut off my cable and not my internet. Well they shut off my internet as well and I'm not sure when it'll be back up. I'm so sorry for the delay on getting to you guys. If anything changes soon I'll get on here and post.

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 16:37
B2 seem to have a little of everything.

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 16:38
LOL no problem. =) Its all good. Life happens.

Emerald_wind
November 2nd, 2014, 16:39
Alright, we're all here hanging out! lol

MerlinAmbrose
November 2nd, 2014, 16:41
Thanks for letting us know. I am sure we will all monitor this channel

pxbest
November 2nd, 2014, 16:46
Yeah, I'll be wondering around youtube for awhile.

ransolot
November 2nd, 2014, 17:31
So it looks like the Internet won't be back on until tomorrow (I'm SOOO happy about that one). If you all can, I can try to do one night this week in place? Let me know if this works for you otherwise it will have to pick back up next Sunday. Again, so sorry on this one guys

pxbest
November 2nd, 2014, 17:33
I'm on call for my job, but I can pretty much free up any night. Just let me know!

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 17:35
Friday and Saturday night is out this week I know that, busy.

pxbest
November 2nd, 2014, 17:36
Oh yeah, the weekend is definitely out, except for our regular time next Sunday and maybe a few hours after.

Emerald_wind
November 2nd, 2014, 18:21
The only night this week that could possibly work is tomorrow night. The rest of the week until Sunday is pretty much taken up.

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 18:31
I can do Monday Night.

MerlinAmbrose
November 2nd, 2014, 18:51
Monday night is OK with me. What time???

Ransolot is Pacific time: when would we start? I am open from ca 6 pm Central time ....4 pm Pacific. How about everyone else?

EDIT: of course, this assumes Ransolot will actually get internet service back. Cable company promises....

Emerald_wind
November 2nd, 2014, 19:04
I can't start before 5pm mountain time. (4pm pacific). But other than that, I'm game.

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 19:21
So it sounds like 4pm Pacific, 5 Mountain, Central 6 and Eastern 7. And French Canadian 8 if I remember correctly. IF this is good. I say YEAH!

Emerald_wind
November 2nd, 2014, 20:35
Totally forgot I have to take my daughter to skating tomorrow night. So it appears I have no days free this week.

Manchine
November 2nd, 2014, 20:42
So next Sunday it is. Although whats funny I might be busy. LOL

MerlinAmbrose
November 2nd, 2014, 22:56
OK. Sunday Sunday Sunday!

But...what time??? The board seems to have applied the time change correction in the opposite direction.

ransolot
November 3rd, 2014, 00:47
It would be at normal time- 8am Sunday morning

ransolot
November 7th, 2014, 21:30
Guys, I am super sorry to say that I now need to cancel this game. My normal gaming group finally has a chance to start playing again and we are going to be playing on the only day that we can get together, Sunday's. I knew that we would at some point be playing again to record for my podcast, I just never expected it to happen this soon. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience but these are long time friends that I've played d&d with for years and after almost 4 years, we are finally getting our old group together again. Thanks guys

Emerald_wind
November 8th, 2014, 01:58
This is the day for bad news! Well thanks for trying, it was fun while it lasted.

Manchine
November 8th, 2014, 16:18
Things happen hopefully it goes well.