PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun

KainVorador
September 27th, 2014, 22:45
Looking for a Shadowrun game or to possibly create one. This is just an interest thread to see if there is a demand for the ruleset. Thanks.

ianmward
September 28th, 2014, 00:54
I'm keen! I have been working on a CoreRPG SR5 ruleset but keep getting distracted...
The SR4 one is very functional, if incomplete.

Unbutu
September 28th, 2014, 19:04
I'm a big fans of the universe, and up to the 4th edition. I would not play 5th tough.

ianmward
September 29th, 2014, 08:07
I'm a big fans of the universe, and up to the 4th edition. I would not play 5th tough.

What don't you like about 5e?

damned
September 29th, 2014, 12:44
I'm keen! I have been working on a CoreRPG SR5 ruleset but keep getting distracted...

Goldfish...

ianmward
September 29th, 2014, 14:41
Wait, is that a new rock?

Unbutu
September 30th, 2014, 07:30
What don't you like about 5e?

Most of the mechanic changes they made, I don't see as an improvement, so I prefer to stick with 4th when possible. (Character creation, magic annoy me the most)

Grimaxe
September 30th, 2014, 20:08
Most of the mechanic changes they made, I don't see as an improvement, so I prefer to stick with 4th when possible. (Character creation, magic annoy me the most)

Yea, I don't have any experience with SR but it looked like a cool game, from my quick looks at the 4e/5e books though I did notice that it seemed like they were trying to make the char creation in 5e simpler (which, as a char building junkie im not a fan of).

kwixson
October 1st, 2014, 13:04
Any progress on that 5e ruleset?

ianmward
October 1st, 2014, 13:15
Not really, sorry... Will get back to it after FG-Con, I expect.

f.marcel
October 1st, 2014, 13:31
The SR4 one is very functional, if incomplete.

Hi! I'm new to FG, but I'm planning to use it as supplement on a local gametable this week with Shadowrun. There I will only use the map-functionsbfor now, but I'm interested in a deeper integration of the ruleset.

What do you think about cooperating?
The problem is just, that now I only got the program and for now have no idea, how to build-in a new ruleset . Is there a sort of tutorial on how to do that?

damned
October 1st, 2014, 15:05
+kwixson and +f.marcel
Im not sure if you are aware how much work goes into developing even a simple ruleset for Fantasy Grounds.
A ruleset will typically take someone 2-12 months to build and sometimes longer.
And then it requires ongoing maintenance and bug fixing.
And far and away the majority of community rulesets are built just for love so they happen when they happen.

Im not trying to dampen your enthusiasm - just to set some expectation :)

+f.marcel - if you would like to get some idea on how to build a ruleset this is what you should do.

Start with your favourite XML editor - if you dont have a favourite one it probably means your not a programmer so the learning curve will be steep.
Anyways - back on track - if you dont have one then use Notepad++ - its simple and its free and it has a Find In Files feature that you will need to get comfortable with.

Go into your %appdata%\Fantasy Grounds\rulesets folder and find CoreRPG.pak
Use your favourite compression utility to unzip it into a subfolder (7zip is good and will recognise the file as being an archive)
Look at base.xml and see all the files it calls.

Then grab an extension that works with CoreRPG - try a simple one like Theme - Wood and unpack it and explore it.
You will see that it contains many similar filenames to CoreRPG. These files either replace or supplement the CoreRPG ones.
This particular extension just changes desktop elements so its only to get you familiar with what is going on.

Then you will want to have a look at a CoreRPG based ruleset and see what files it contains and how they are linked etc.
Remember this files will replace or supplement what is going on in CoreRPG.
Find a ruleset that has some elements you need for your ruleset and start trying to follow how they are linked.
Its not so straight forward - often a single element might require 2 to 4 files to provide all the info - this is where your Find in Files feature is going to be used... lots.

Ask questions in here with as much detail as you can and people will help.

Good luck!

Trenloe
October 1st, 2014, 15:40
To expand on what damned says above, there are some initial pointers here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset

KainVorador
October 1st, 2014, 15:56
Well, there is definitely an interest. That's good. Now to somehow get this off the ground and into orbit...

f.marcel
October 1st, 2014, 20:11
Yes, the interest is there, Kain.
Thank you, damned, for your insight. I'm actually not a programmer and I think the amount of time I would need to spend for this exceeds my spare time. And I also need time to GM Shadowrun on a real-life table. So, for now I would stick to the simpler part of using map, story and encounter features without the need to have FG do any rolls for me.

But by the way, one roll FG already can do for me: Initiative, which is in SR5 the sum of 1 or more d6 + Reaction + Intuition.

damned
October 2nd, 2014, 01:10
You can write your rolls into the Chat Window and before hitting Enter - drag them down to a Hot Key and then you can fire them off from there.
As an Example:
/die 2d6+45 Initiative
I think you will find there is some stuff working in the SR4 ruleset.

Im also not a programmer but (thanks to some *very* helpful people - 2 of whom are in this thread) Im almost finished a basic ruleset for an old classic - Maelstrom RPG.
So it can be done... especially with some friends!

Grimaxe
October 2nd, 2014, 01:34
You can write your rolls into the Chat Window and before hitting Enter - drag them down to a Hot Key and then you can fire them off from there.
As an Example:
/die 2d6+45 Initiative
I think you will find there is some stuff working in the SR4 ruleset.

Im also not a programmer but (thanks to some *very* helpful people - 2 of whom are in this thread) Im almost finished a basic ruleset for an old classic - Maelstrom RPG.
So it can be done... especially with some friends!

hmm interesting, you may have inspired me to start fiddling with the old world of darkness stuff :D (or, completing what's already been started).

ianmward
October 2nd, 2014, 01:55
Hmm... Looks like I really need to start dedicating some time to this...

f.marcel
October 2nd, 2014, 06:10
As an Example:
/die 2d6+45 Initiative

Thank you for explaining this useful feature. These kinds of rolls only work for initiative in SR, because as soon as it gets to normal Skill or Attribute tests, you don't sum up the results of the dices (up to sometimes 30 or 40 dices ;-), but you just look for 5 and 6 and sum up the number of such successes. This I don't know how to do.

damned
October 2nd, 2014, 11:32
In a future release of FG that will be supported - its probably going to wait though until the Unity upgrade (which could be 6-12 months away).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21488-Dice-features&p=179647#post179647
In the meantime you can do any dice rolling combinations but it wont do any keep/drop/exploding of dice...
/die 6d6+6d10+8
and then manually do your dropping....

Unbutu
October 2nd, 2014, 12:40
Yea, I don't have any experience with SR but it looked like a cool game, from my quick looks at the 4e/5e books though I did notice that it seemed like they were trying to make the char creation in 5e simpler (which, as a char building junkie im not a fan of).

Yes, you pinpoint something. Of course, making the character creation system discourage min-maxing is a great thing. It's just so much railroad that I enjoy it less, as well.

On the plus side: one thing they did much better in 5e is simplify/explain all the technomancer/hacker/matrix part.

@GM : What edition you were thinking about using ?

KainVorador
October 2nd, 2014, 15:37
I'm fairly familiar with 4E. Haven't even looked at 5th. Will have to take a peek and see what I think.

tlavalle
October 10th, 2014, 01:27
i wouldn't mind playing i have played all versions, but the ruleset that is out now is incomplete i have been trying to convert corerpg to shadowrun