PDA

View Full Version : Token Help

Donavyn
September 27th, 2014, 16:17
Our campaign started last night, and went over really well thanks to Fantasy Grounds.

I have one question regarding Tokens:

When the free players connect they can only see two tokens to choose from, despite that I have several and included one that I purchased and downloaded from the store.

Can someone help me set this up so that my players can choose a token for movement on the maps?

JohnD
September 27th, 2014, 16:43
If you have tokens you want to make available to your players, look in your Tokens directory using Explorer. You should see a Host directory - this contains tokens only the DM can access. You should also see a Shared directory - this is where you should put the tokens you want your players to be able to see and access themselves.

Usually, players assign their own portraits... these can also be used as tokens for the maps - just open the character sheet and drag the assigned portrait to the free token circle.

I'm sure there's other ways of doing this... just going from memory here.

Donavyn
September 27th, 2014, 16:47
Thanks for the quick reply!

Shared and GM have no tokens in them at all. Is there not a way to share the modules that I have set as shared to the players? I'd hate to have to export them all so that they can use them.

Yes we've allowed our players to use their profile picture as their token, just wondering if a nice feature like that can be used by the players as well.

JohnD
September 27th, 2014, 16:52
Ah so the tokens are in modules?

In that case, you have to open them like any other module. If you want the players to have access to them, you have to not only open the module, but put either a green check mark or the lightning bolt next to it.

The difference is; check mark the player will start to download the content when he/she tries to access it. Lightning bolt means the DM's side pushes this as an automatic download. Edit: they will only be able to access this content when connected to you and if you have the module open.

But one caveat; I don't do it this way, so I might be a little off here (someone will correct if that's the case).

Don't worry about the learning curve... you'll pick up a few things each and every time you play (although, from personal experience, it helps if you have a player in your group who is experienced as a FG player as well as a DM).

Trenloe
September 27th, 2014, 19:32
You can't share token modules with the players. The GM can extract tokens from the modules and make them available in the shared folder, some info in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22140-module-tokens

Yes we've allowed our players to use their profile picture as their token, just wondering if a nice feature like that can be used by the players as well.
Are you asking that the players be able to make their portraits into a token for their PCs? If so, this is already there - players can select their portrait from the list of portraits on their computer. Then, they can assign the selected portrait to their token slot on their character sheet - the portrait image is converted into a token for that specific PC.

Donavyn
September 28th, 2014, 03:01
Thanks again for the replies. The exporting of the modules sounds in the right direction, although I can't see how this is very intuitive to the players, that's for sure.

I'd think that if the GM opens the resource and places the check-mark next to it, that it would be made available to all players connected to my server. Or am I missing something else?

Trenloe
September 28th, 2014, 03:24
Tokens are primarily a GM resource. Token modules are not shared with the players, even when the token module is set to allow players to load. I don't know if this is a design oversight or a design decision due to specific reasons.

Character tokens are usually made from the PC portrait - but this is not to everyone's taste and quite often players wish to use a picture for the portrait and a different image for the token. Now that more-and-more tokens are being provided in module format it is becoming a more frequent request that players can access the tokens in a module. One issue I do see with this is that there is no way of limiting which tokens will be available in a token module - this may, or may not, be an issue, depending on the module.

There is another "work around" I've just thought of. Share a blank image with the players, drag each token you wish the players to be able to see to the image. The players will be able to select any of the tokens on the image as a token for their PC (drag from the image to the token slot on the character sheet). If there are just a few tokens the GM wishes to share with the players this is an OK work-around, if there are lots then not so good.

You might want to add this as a new item to the FG wishlist, available here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/ This will allow people to vote on whether they'd like this functionality and, equally importantly, it allows the developers to see what features people are asking for. It might not happen straight away, but it will put the request on their radar.

Wallfenrir
October 3rd, 2014, 20:43
Hi, I have one question about tokens too... I have diferent size of tokens and its annoying, I tried to change the scale, but it only works for all tokens at the same time, I cant select one token at time to rescale. Is there another way to do it or I really have to play with a dwarf being twice the size of a human mage...7594

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2014, 21:03
Hold down the CTRL key while hovering over the token and sue the mouse-wheel to resize the token.

See the last paragraph of the "Scaling" section in the Tokens wiki page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Scaling