PDA

View Full Version : Problem loading images?

sciencephile
September 23rd, 2014, 04:56
Hi,

I have noticed a bit of a problem in regards to images lately (within the last 2 weeks). Namely, I and two other players from two completely different campaigns seem to be having trouble with portraits and icons loading.

For two of us, it has taken up to 15 minutes for the portraits to load. For the other, he still hasn't had his portraits/tokens load.

I had an issue sharing a map today with my players with their tokens on it (it kept crashing), but I had created a module for that under FG 2.8 and suspect that I may want to recreate the module under the 3.0 version. When I loaded the image outside the module, it was okay. Inside the module, it consistently crashed the system. I'm only mentioning this in case there is any relationship with the above.

The part about slow/no loading of portraits and tokens is what has me most concerned as the sharing of maps from modules has a work around.

Thanks,
Danny

damned
September 23rd, 2014, 05:15
how is the GM connected to the internet? is he using wifi or cable to his internet connection?
if its wifi retest using a cable.
if its a cable try clearing the campaign cache on the affected player computers... %appdata%\cache\campaignname <- rename the whole campaignname folder

Trenloe
September 23rd, 2014, 05:34
I had an issue sharing a map today with my players with their tokens on it (it kept crashing), but I had created a module for that under FG 2.8 and suspect that I may want to recreate the module under the 3.0 version. When I loaded the image outside the module, it was okay. Inside the module, it consistently crashed the system.
How big are the tokens? Actual size (KB/MB) and dimensions?

sciencephile
September 23rd, 2014, 05:43
How big are the tokens? Actual size (KB/MB) and dimensions?

Tokens are 128x128 and vary from 25-50 kB each. The map itself is about 400 kB and is approximately 1850x1400.

Trenloe
September 23rd, 2014, 05:55
Tokens are 128x128 and vary from 25-50 kB each. The map itself is about 400 kB and is approximately 1850x1400.
That won't be an issue - very large tokens can cause crashes.

What ruleset (and version) are you using?

Do you have *a lot* (e.g. hundreds) of tokens in your \tokens\host and/or \tokens\shared directory?

sciencephile
September 23rd, 2014, 06:03
Running Pathfinder, have about a couple dozen tokens.

The issue is that I have been running the same campaign smoothly for months. I haven't added anything to it - I created the modules a few months ago and have not added any additional content (no tokens, maps, other images). The files have stayed static. Everything stayed the same. Then suddenly crash after crash trying to load this map with 5 tokens on it, using fog of war. I did have the chat log off - that was the only difference I can think of.

It just sounds weird due to the fact that I run the game off the same laptop and nobody has had a problem since we started back in January. Suddenly the crash and one player can see 2 of the tokens but not the others.

On my desktop computer, I play in a game (for about 6 months) where I have had no problems at all. Then suddenly in the last 2 weeks, I see that portraits should be there but I cannot see any of them (not even my own). 10-15 minutes later, they finally show up. Another player in that game had the same problem a couple of weeks ago.

Just seems like something strange is going on to have 2 computers running/playing in games for months with no problems and then both have problems with the game at the same time.

Moon Wizard
September 23rd, 2014, 06:28
Can you zip up a copy of your campaign folder under the <FG data folder>/campaigns directory and send to me at [email protected]?

I also might need to get a ZIP of your tokens folder too, if I can't recreate with the campaign only.

Regards,
JPG

sciencephile
September 23rd, 2014, 07:25
JPG,

I don't want to distract you from development over the images crash. I have found a work around. I was reporting more of the fact of the inability to load portraits and tokens when connecting as a player. That seems to be more of the odd duck here and I had created the post in case someone knew already about it.

Danny