PDA

View Full Version : Some basic controls

Willot
September 22nd, 2014, 11:02
Here are some basic controls to use in Fantasy Grounds Ive found useful

New One!!! If when pasting in text from a PDF you get spaces between lines (double spacing), highlight that text in FG and use CNTL J this should remove the spaces (also use reader in WIndows 8.1 it seems to work better and make less mistakes than Adobe reader)

1) When the tokens are on a map (image) You can rotate them with the mouse wheel when the cursor is hovering over them. If you hold down the cntrl key while doing this the token will resize itself. If the GM locks the tokens then only the GM can do this.

2) If the GM has Locked the Tokens (GM right clicks on a token on the map and selects LOCK tokens) When a player tries to move his/her token it instead draws the path and distance, the GM then has to ACCEPT the move
PLAYER'S VIEW
GM'S VIEW

3) You can either drag your attack onto a enemy token to target it OR while holding down the cntrl key you can individually click on enemy (or friendly) tokens to select or deselect targets. This is a good way to select mulitple targets say for a mass heal or AOE

4) As a GM when using the mask you can of course drag a box to uncover the map as your players move through OR you can hold down the SHFT key which allows freehand drawing OR if you hold down the CNTRL key you can draw a square the FILLS in the mask. Holding down CNTRL & SHFT keys together allows you to freehand FILL in the mask

5) if you whisper to someone and they have like a elven name like Elansirrea Langriissiaish. You ony need to type "/w Elan" then tap the TAB key. This will fill in the rest. EDIT: For fast replies us /r <whisper message> to reply to the last whisper you received.

6) If you hold the CNTRL key while hovering over a number on a stat sheet then wheeling the mouse wheel will lower or raise that number. EDIT: The campaign option "Mouse: Wheel editing = Ctrl" controls this functionality (default), it can be set to "Always" which is not recommended in most rulesets as it is too easy to edit a number field while using the mouse wheel to scroll through a list.

7) If you need to create magic Armour or weapons you can drag the effects from the magic items book (maybe 3.5 pfrgp only?) to the item. The item MUST be in your items list (you cant change the one in your module library). Remeber to adjust the enchantment bonus if applicable.
BEFORE
AFTER

8) if you do a crit when you roll damage, hold down the shift key and it will automatcally roll the critical damage

Cant think of anymore off the top of my head. Only other thing I can say study the effects system once you get the hang of them you've pretty much nailed Fantasy Grounds. Be clever with the effects too. For example so I can remember when a monster with a breath weapon can use it again. When the monster uses it I place an effect on the monster called CANNOT USE BREATH WEAPON and in the duration I put say 1d4 (if then is what it is). This means it will auto roll the duration the monster cant use it, for me.

damned
September 22nd, 2014, 12:26
nice tip on the /w - i didnt know about auto complete.... very useful.

Willot
September 23rd, 2014, 00:06
oh heres another

9) Damage types and DR Consider the following

So (as above) if the information is placed correctly in the correct places then Fantasy grounds will automaticlly work it out for you)

(this might be 3.5/PFRPG only)

Trenloe
September 23rd, 2014, 00:40
Made a couple of comments to items #5 and #6 - feel feel to edit/remove if you see fit. :)

A couple of these are 3.5e/PF related - do you still want this thread in the general tavern forum or moving to the 3.5e/Pathfinder forum?

Willot
September 23rd, 2014, 00:53
Made a couple of comments to items #5 and #6 - feel feel to edit/remove if you see fit. :)

A couple of these are 3.5e/PF related - do you still want this thread in the general tavern forum or moving to the 3.5e/Pathfinder forum?

Id say leave it here as long as people realise some maybe 3.5/PFRPG related and may not work. Not having used the other rulesets much I couldnt say which ones. But the others still apply.

I wouldnt mind if other people know of tips/tricks that might be helpfull to put in here!

Willot
September 28th, 2014, 20:34
Heres a new one
10) You can use ! (meaning not) in your effects as in "IMMUNE: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, !magic, !silver" NOT immune to magic or silver
(5E ONLY)

Trenloe
September 28th, 2014, 20:55
Heres a new one
10) You can use ! (meaning not) in your effects as in "IMMUNE: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, !magic, !silver" NOT immune to magic or silver
This is very specific to the 5E ruleset.

This is a useful thread Willot, but a lot of these items being added are specific to certain rulesets. We're now mixing 3.5E/PFRPG ruleset info with 5E info - it could soon get very confusing. I'd recommend keeping this thread generic and starting new ones specific to a ruleset in that ruleset's forum.

Willot
September 28th, 2014, 21:01
This is very specific to the 5E ruleset.

This is a useful thread Willot, but a lot of these items being added are specific to certain rulesets. We're now mixing 3.5E/PFRPG ruleset info with 5E info - it could soon get very confusing. I'd recommend keeping this thread generic and starting new ones specific to a ruleset in that ruleset's forum.

It is? BUM! This needs to be in the other rulesets pronto!

Trenloe
September 28th, 2014, 21:15
This needs to be in the other rulesets pronto!
In the 5E ruleset it is very specific to immunities and resistances - due to the way those are defined in the NPC stat blocks: for example, an immunity of ""bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons that aren't silvered", hence the need for the not (!) functionality in the 5E ruleset.

I've been trying to think of occasions where this would be useful in a 3.5E/Pathfinder effect - and I'm struggling to come up with an example. I'm not aware of resistances/immunities that would need this - the DR code already copes with the exceptions as this is the way DR works in 3.5E/PFRPG (i.e. specific the damage types that ignore DR). The main one that could be coded using this is the Incorporeal condition, which is automatically coded for in the ruleset anyway.

The not operator would allow more possibilities with the IF and IFT conditional logic. However, unless I'm missing a bunch of examples/uses, I can't think of much need for this in 3.5E/PFRPG other than IF/IFT logic.

Willot
September 28th, 2014, 21:21
Yeah.... I think I jumped the gun on this one. It sounds like REALLY useful functionality, but your right when I actually think about it. It not really all that needed for 3.5/PF. (cept for the IF and IFT as you say but thats getting a bit advanced for this). Ill keep the post there for now ive marked it in bold as 5E only.

Coanunn
October 2nd, 2014, 18:48
Ok, dumb question, I enabled mask on a map. I then click ANYWHERE on the map and instead of being able to reveal the map it drags the map to a different place on my screen as if I had grabbed an edge instead of inside the map. I am completely unable to unmask the map at all now. What did I do wrong and what can I do to fix it other than just never using mask mode?

ddavison
October 2nd, 2014, 19:35
Coanunn,

Make sure you are toggled into Mask mode on your image toolbar to reveal or re-hide portions. If necessary, send a screenshot and we can help point you in the right direction.

Coanunn
October 2nd, 2014, 20:01
Here you go a video of what I'm having issues with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUVuHvnU27k&list=UUzUu-C7lFSFHAtPXwe3a2VA

ddavison
October 2nd, 2014, 20:04
It looks like you have an image extension loaded. Can you try it again without the enhanced images extension loaded and see if it does the same thing?

Coanunn
October 2nd, 2014, 20:17
That did in-fact resolve the issue, now to go find out what I'm doing wrong with that extension. :)

ddavison
October 2nd, 2014, 20:19
Okay, I think it may have something to do with the various levels. Masking and unmaking may only work on level 1 or level 2 or something like that. I'd repost that question on the forum topic where you originally got the extension. I'm not familiar with the details of that specific extension, although it's a cool idea.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2014, 20:36
That did in-fact resolve the issue, now to go find out what I'm doing wrong with that extension. :)
Bullet point #4 in the first post explains that you can only mask on the base layer: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29 Please familiarise yourself with the use and gotchas of the Enhanced Images extension in posts #1 and #2 of that thread.

Ikael
October 2nd, 2014, 20:49

Like Trenloe pointed out you can only do masking on bottom layer. First you need to select the bottom layer and then you can do unmasking normally. Personally I am not using Enhanced Images extension anymore since it allows down map management.

Coanunn
October 3rd, 2014, 00:25
Like Trenloe pointed out you can only do masking on bottom layer. First you need to select the bottom layer and then you can do unmasking normally. Personally I am not using Enhanced Images extension anymore since it allows down map management.

That was my decision after playing with it more this afternoon. It's nifty but it did cause me to need to do more fiddling to do what I actually wanted.