PDA

View Full Version : Creating spells from scratch.

pxbest
September 17th, 2014, 13:35
Good morning all,

I'm quite new to FG though i've been playing D&D for a few years. I'm currently working on recreating the last half of Lost Mine of Phandelver and my players have brought their characters over. However, I'm having problems creating spells. I'm not sure how the effects system works. I know that when creating NPCs and enemies if you simply copy the text just how it's written for attacks, it works perfectly. However, for spells it doesn't seem too.

Take for example: Bless

You bless up to three creatures of your choice within
range. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a
saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll
a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or
saving throw.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using
a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one
additional creature for each slot level above 1st.

No clue how to even start with the effect of this spell.

OneSidedDie
September 17th, 2014, 13:56
For bless it wont work exactly because I think saves only use a static number for effects. The attack part is easy though.

ATK: 1d4

Set to all and put the duration to 1 minute or 10 rounds. I don't think you can accommodate the higher spell slot text other than just selecting your targets manually.

Irondrake
September 18th, 2014, 23:51
The effect should be set to Targets, duration of 1 minute. Set the effect description to Bless;ATK: 1d4; SAVE: 1d4

When you use it, select the three characters within range you want to cast it on and it cast. It will automatically apply to them.

OneSidedDie
September 19th, 2014, 02:14
The effect should be set to Targets, duration of 1 minute. Set the effect description to Bless;ATK: 1d4; SAVE: 1d4

When you use it, select the three characters within range you want to cast it on and it cast. It will automatically apply to them.

Yep, Irondrake is right. Looks like they added die rolls for Save effects and did not update the wiki.

Irondrake
September 19th, 2014, 16:22
I tossed it in an effect and tested it out. With 3.0.8 you can create a negative dice effect with ATK: -1d4 (for spells like Bane) that can be assigned to the target. Its still in test mode, but its coming along pretty well so I'm betting it will be released soon.