PDA

View Full Version : Better Search

damned
September 15th, 2014, 03:39
Am I doing it wrong or is the search function *really* limited?

All search phrases seem to be keyword OR keyword
How can I search: keyword AND keyword

Searching for more than one keyword is pointless because of this... unless im doing it wrong...

Mellock
September 15th, 2014, 05:51
I just tried it with a + sign, but that may or may not work. Seems to turn up the same as OR

damned
September 15th, 2014, 06:25
yep - ive tried that too - no dice from what I can see...

Zeus
September 15th, 2014, 07:29
You need to enclose multi word search strings in quotes. e,g, "Better Search" returns this thread in the results list.

damned
September 15th, 2014, 07:30
yes... but i cant search for 2 non consecutive keywords... at least I cant :)

Zeus
September 15th, 2014, 20:31
yes... but i cant search for 2 non consecutive keywords... at least I cant :)

Try, using <keyword> && <keyword>

damned
September 15th, 2014, 23:57
Try, using <keyword> && <keyword>

No difference.
Still returns keyword OR keyword

ddavison
September 17th, 2014, 20:07
I'm not sure why the search feature is so limited. I generally cheat and use google to search.

Something like this:
site:www.fantasygrounds.com inurl:forums keyword1 keyword2 "phrase to search"

Blacky
September 17th, 2014, 20:36
Google custom search in the future?

ddavison
September 17th, 2014, 21:18
I created a quick Custom Search Engine for Google and linked it to the nav bar in the forums, labeled "Site Search". Will something as simple as that work?

damned
September 18th, 2014, 02:53
I also had resorted to using google search - slightly different format - search term terms site:www.fantasygrounds.com
yes your google search works but Im sure that the inbuilt search should be able to handle operators?

Trenloe
September 18th, 2014, 03:20
A nice advantage to using the google "site search" Doug has provided for us to test today is that if the matching keywords are in the body of a thread it gives the page of the thread. This is great for trying to find info in very large threads - I've frequently given up trying to find info in a multi-page thread when the forum search returns that thread as a match, as the forum search just gives the thread, not the page where the match occurred.

Blacky
September 18th, 2014, 14:23
I created a quick Custom Search Engine for Google and linked it to the nav bar in the forums, labeled "Site Search". Will something as simple as that work?
Better than nothing for people who don't know how to use Google search operators, yes, thanks.

Could be incorporated into the FG website.

Could have a better robots.txt (I tried looking for this thread, the first answer was the Activity stream for example who should not be indexed). And maybe a better weighted XML sitemap.

damned
September 18th, 2014, 15:48
i use the Activity stream quite regularly... second most common link for me :) first is new posts.

Blacky
September 18th, 2014, 16:18
For human (or near human, or transhuman) yes. For Search Bot, not so much :)