PDA

View Full Version : Saving out the campaign but not as a module (backup)

svossler
September 14th, 2014, 02:47
I want to save out my campaign for backup, but I don't want to have to bring it back in as module to for the parts that I want to bring back in. Is there a way to do that?

Also I'd like to be able to save out the campaign delete all the parts I don't want in a module. Then create the module (ex: completed chapter that I don't use often but may need to later) to turn on and off as desired. Then reload my saved out campaign and delete the parts I turned into modules so I can bring the module in and out as needed.

Basically I want to create my main campaign, have it backed up in case my hard drive crashes, and also be able to limit my file/campaign size for both ease of connection to clients and organization.

I'm new to FGII so please excuse me if this is a simple task that I just haven't picked up on yet. I'm also new to posting threads, so any advise in any etiquette breach is appreciated. What's a tag?

Andraax
September 14th, 2014, 03:21
You can just save your whole campaign directory to back it up (I make separate .zip files of the campaign directory with a timestamp so I can go back to any point in the campaign if needed). Depending on which ruleset you have, you can also, when creating a module, only drag and drop the stuff you want exported into the module. What ruleset(s) are you using?

Mgrancey
September 14th, 2014, 03:21
Backing up your campaign is easy. There are two ways to go about it, one is to simply back up the campaign itself, the other is to export as a module.

The first method is easy.
First setup where you are going to store your backup.
Next you want to access the "Application Data Folder"
The easiest way to access it is to open FG and from the inital screen look to the top right corner, above the license you have, you will see a folder button which you just need to click on.
Alternatively you can find a shortcut in the Smiteworks folder under the start menu -> all programs.

From here all you have to do is enter "campaigns" and then simply copy and paste the folder for your campaign, the name you have given it in FG, at you back up location.

Simply reverse the process for making use of it.

Mgrancey
September 14th, 2014, 03:29
Creating a module has it benefits and downsides as well.

To create a module, you use /export

From there you can select what you want to export, such as just the story boxes, npcs, images, etc. This varies by rules set but is pretty standardized.

As Andraxx stated you can select what you want or export everything, This is where things can get a little sticky. There is a module creator extension but thats only for certain systems, so it by default puts them simply back under the story, npc, combat encounters, etc.

Using either the library extension, or by going in and doing some coding yourself you can actually setup a more discrete or complex setup for the module in the library. It seems intimidating, but it isn't that hard, you simply need to know certain information.

svossler
September 14th, 2014, 03:31
Thanks both of you for the help. I'm using 3.5E v3.0.7

svossler
September 14th, 2014, 03:58
One more thing. If I exit out by use of the X (Windows Close Out Button) at the upper right, do I bypass the autosave when exiting?

Trenloe
September 14th, 2014, 04:22
One more thing. If I exit out by use of the X (Windows Close Out Button) at the upper right, do I bypass the autosave when exiting?
Pressing the X is the same as exiting via the radial menu - FG exits cleanly and saves the campaign data.

Callum
September 14th, 2014, 09:33
The trick I learnt from others here is to make a campaign that just has the PCs in - this is the one you run every time you play. Then you make a separate campaign for each adventure/chapter, and export it. This means you can open the adventure modules in the main campaign when you need them, and shut them when you don't.

Mgrancey
September 14th, 2014, 16:20
If you follow this method, as a suggestion, make sure to separate them into different groups/categories (flags at bottom of window) and name them.

Under /export

The two other ones you want to keep an eye on are:
Category -- this will let you group them all together in the library while opened
and
Merge ID -- if you give them all them same name, then they will be shared if there is no specific category they are applied to or if they share the same category name, icon, and color.