PDA

View Full Version : Great Weapon Fighting

csander9
September 13th, 2014, 11:08
Can FG handle the Great Weapon Fighting fighter trait that lets you re-roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die? I tried adding brutal 2 to properties but didn't notice any effect.

Moon Wizard
September 13th, 2014, 20:55
No, not currently. It's on the short list of features for 5E to add.

My dev time on 5E has slowed somewhat as we have begun big push towards Unity port. So, I'm trying to group features/issues into chunks I tackle every couple weeks in the beta.

Regards,
JPG

chillybilly
September 14th, 2014, 19:23
Looking forward to this fix! Right now, my fighter has to roll, reroll, reroll and then I have to apply the damage. This will get things streamlined again!

Artaron
November 23rd, 2014, 09:58
Hi guys. I saw Great Weapon fighting rerolls had been implemented.
Can't find it in the wiki. Can I have some guidance on how to set it up in my character sheet ?

EDIT: After digging through the patch notes. I found it ! For anyone interested, you can add "Reroll 2" to your weapon properties (or ", Reroll 2" if you have other properties already), and it will automatically give you the rerolled value. to fighters out there, enjoy !

keeperofsouls
October 17th, 2015, 07:19
"Reroll 2" doesn't work for me in 5th dnd. I have tried it several different ways thinking maybe the spelling was wrong but I can't seem to make it work. Is there some special module I need to add?

Szabtom
October 17th, 2015, 09:48
Hi keeperofsouls,
Here is a shot of a weapon in my campaign. "Reroll 2" works as designed.

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2015, 09:54
See the screenshot attached; if you still can't get it to work then post back here.

keeperofsouls
October 17th, 2015, 15:57
Thank you that was helpful.

whiteTiki
October 17th, 2015, 18:14
Is this only working with Beta releases or is it permanent in the actual official version?

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2015, 18:28
Is this only working with Beta releases or is it permanent in the actual official version?

It is working on the current version.

Full Bleed
October 17th, 2015, 18:40
It's nice to see this function built in.

Questions:

1) When the re-roll is triggered, is there an acknowledgment in the output and/or do the virtual dice actually re-roll when a 1 or 2 comes up?
2) Are all fighting styles in the 5e ruleset manually maintained (i.e. like having to add ", reroll 2" to each weapon)? Is there no way to just select a fighting style and have the ruleset apply the effects where applicable?

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2015, 18:47
1) Yes, it shows that one (or more) dice has been rerolled. It doesn't show the old roll just the new one.
2) No there currently isn't a weapon style selection which automates the style. Each needs to be set up. However that's not too hard to do.

whiteTiki
October 17th, 2015, 19:02
Excellent news! I'm still learning some tips every now and then thanks to the forums.

Sweedbeast
October 1st, 2016, 17:21
is there a way to make sure that it only rerolls a set number dice such as a great sword with great weapon fighting it will reroll all 1s and 2s instead of just rerolling one die instead

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2016, 21:24
This is working as expected with the "Reroll 2" tag in the properties for the Weapon entry. (Click on magnifying glass of property entry to add.)

See image attached.

Regards,
JPG

Sweedbeast
October 1st, 2016, 21:42
So FG will reroll all dice that are 2 or 1 and not just one like the great weapon fighting feature says?

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2016, 21:51
From the rulebook, I have this text:

"When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you
make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with
two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new
roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2."

Since both dice of the great sword are considered each a "damage die", they are both affected by the Great Weapon Fighting style.

Regards,
JPG

Sweedbeast
October 1st, 2016, 21:59
Oh ok thank you for helping me with it

J5isalive
June 1st, 2017, 21:40
Hey all, super late to the party. First time post, but I was trying to make sure my effects were set correctly. Came across this thread19215 and I'm having a similar issue with "reroll". Suggestions?

Trenloe
June 1st, 2017, 21:49
Hey all, super late to the party. First time post, but I was trying to make sure my effects were set correctly. Came across this thread19215 and I'm having a similar issue with "reroll". Suggestions?
Welcome to the forums J5isalive!

reroll triggers a re-roll on damage rolls, not on attack rolls. All of the rolls you make in that screenshot are attack rolls. Double-click the damage entry to roll damage.

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2017, 21:50
Hey all, super late to the party. First time post, but I was trying to make sure my effects were set correctly. Came across this thread and I'm having a similar issue with "reroll". Suggestions?

Hi J5 welcome to FG and to the community

Your screen shot only shows attacks, but the reroll only affects damage. Try rolling some damage and you'll see it working. Your set up is correct.

Gah! Still can't type faster than Trenloe. He must be all over the internet :)

J5isalive
June 1st, 2017, 21:54
Huge oversight on my part, thank you so much! :D It works like a charm and as intended to with Damage rolls.

Wandering Canuck
September 13th, 2017, 17:00
Huge thanks on this one. New to the game and couldn't figure out how to let the Paladin do this.

connivingsumo
February 26th, 2019, 20:02
Hi keeperofsouls,
Here is a shot of a weapon in my campaign. "Reroll 2" works as designed.

Here it is almost 3.5 years later and this is still helpful! Thanks for sharing.

Zandel
January 12th, 2021, 16:48
How would I apply this to an NPC? Will adding the REROLL 2 work in the NPC weapon text?

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2021, 17:20
I don't think this would work on an NPC since there's no wording that you can use which would generate the effect. You could try adding REROLL 2 directly into the Combat Tracker but I doubt that would work either.

Zandel
January 12th, 2021, 17:28
that's a shame, but thanks for the response

The High Druid
January 20th, 2021, 23:00
How would I apply this to an NPC? Will adding the REROLL 2 work in the NPC weapon text?

For an occasional/special NPC, just create them as a PC and set them as hostile (if necessary) in the combat tracker? Bit more effort to do, but should work