PDA

View Full Version : Preloading

VenomousFiligree
September 9th, 2014, 22:18
Is it working? I made a point of preloading a map (4Mb) when all the players connected. 3 later when I shared it none of them received it instantly, most taking minutes to get it.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2014, 23:21
Yeah, I'm seeing the same. I've just done a test with a client and the campaign.dat cache file on the player side was 1KB when they first logged in and didn't increase when the GM preloaded the image. When the image was actually shared the player side campaign.dat cache file increased to 394KB - the shared image is 394KB.

So, this suggests that the preload functionality isn't operating. Tested in CoreRPG 3.0.7.

Blacky
September 11th, 2014, 05:18
I reported it at 3.0.something, probably 3.0.1 or .2 but there wasn't anything definitive from JPG's end so I assumed it was because of my antiquated ruleset that preloading broke.

VenomousFiligree
September 18th, 2014, 23:16
Is this an recognised issue by smiteworks? If so maybe disable the preload radial menu item until it's fixed?

Moon Wizard
September 20th, 2014, 04:24
Hmm, I thought this was a corner case originally, because at first glance, everything appeared correct in the code.

However, after further investigation, I found that it is the result of an optimization that I made at some point during 3.0.0 development. The optimization was to prevent images from loading into memory automatically, unless they are actually displayed at some point. However, the file request code is tied to the loading code. In v2.x.x versions, all images in the campaign and all modules were loaded into memory on load causing memory bloat, which reduced the number of modules that could be opened, especially if they contained maps/images.

Let me think a bit on this.

Thanks,
JPG

jajen2003
September 3rd, 2015, 13:22
Hmm, I thought this was a corner case originally, because at first glance, everything appeared correct in the code.

However, after further investigation, I found that it is the result of an optimization that I made at some point during 3.0.0 development. The optimization was to prevent images from loading into memory automatically, unless they are actually displayed at some point. However, the file request code is tied to the loading code. In v2.x.x versions, all images in the campaign and all modules were loaded into memory on load causing memory bloat, which reduced the number of modules that could be opened, especially if they contained maps/images.

Let me think a bit on this.

Thanks,
JPG

I know this issue is almost a year old, but I couldn't find any follow up on it. Has this been fixed or looked into any further?

Thanks,
Jake(DM)