PDA

View Full Version : Realmworks

Skellan
September 8th, 2014, 23:21
Realmworks has been out for a while now and I was wondering if anyone is using it here? (either for FG or a home game?) It looks like it could be useful but I thought I'd ask here to see what others think of it now it has been out a while

damned
September 9th, 2014, 01:50
im a backer with some sort of subscription level but never even downloaded it yet... i mainly backed it because I liked the idea and wanted to support it.

Mgrancey
September 9th, 2014, 05:30
I haven't as I have Obsidian portal for a while yet and I am not a fan of subscription services. I know they are the rage right now and alot of people like them, but I would rather just purchase the software and have it be mine.

Dakadin
September 9th, 2014, 07:57
I have it and think it is a great piece of software. It really helps with tracking down that odd bit of data for your campaign. It automatically allows you to link to existing data based on the name. If there are multiple items with similar names you can select which one you want to use. These links are created from your text descriptions. You can also create other types of links like membership, hierarchy, etc. These links appear on the right side of the entry so at a glance you can see everything you have related to a particular subject. The hard part is figuring out how you want to organize it and fit it into their framework. I am constantly thinking of better ways to do it. :D

I haven't used the plots yet except for experimentation so can't say much about them.

I believe you only need the subscription if you want to store your information in the cloud. This will allow your players to access using the player version which hasn't been released yet but it is getting close to it.

Valarian
September 9th, 2014, 08:30
I've got Realmworks and had a play with it for the Age of Arthur campaign I did in the Easter to August period. There's a lot to set up a campaign, especially if it's not D&D (the default information is D&D in terms of races & classes). However, for world-building, it'd be a great tool - hyperlinking of names for cross-references, allowing mapping out of relationships and conflicts, places on maps, etc. I'm not sure I'd pay out on the subscription (the "free" period has not yet started as the web front-end for players isn't yet ready). The subscription is for online space to publish your campaigns so that players can access it. The campaign management software is purchased and installed.

Skellan
September 9th, 2014, 19:48
Interesting!
Think I will wait until the player side gets released and then check it out :)

Bidmaron
September 16th, 2014, 02:26
I'm using it as a kind of super encyclopedia for my game world. I think it excels in that way. When player version is out, the players will be able to look up what they collectively know (later they will have by-character recording working, but now it's just the whole party). Pretty well done. Not perfect, but they listen - almost as well as SW does.

Skellan
September 16th, 2014, 02:33
It does sound like it could be really good. I used obsidian portal for my last game but realm works seems like it could be better. I am eagerly awaiting the player side :)

Mgrancey
September 16th, 2014, 03:26
You know if there is any talk of a demo or sample of it besides video tutorials? I kickstarted the reforging of Obsidian Portal, but honestly not really caring for how it has turned out. I'd rather not have to put a bunch of work into figuring out a campaign manager, I already have to put a good bit of time into setting up a campaign to have to go and learn about customizing it is really just a pain.

Skellan
September 16th, 2014, 03:38
I don't know of one.
I suppose it would be good if realm works and fg could share content somehow.

Mgrancey
September 16th, 2014, 03:55
That would be really nice and encourage me a great deal more, but I mostly meant about how changing the imagery and making things bold, italicized, or under a list, etc rather. Copy and Paste is easy enough, its just that to add bold or lists means going back and redoing all the styles and such, or being able to set colors, backgrounds and text colors and such are all kinda of pain really.

jshauber
September 19th, 2014, 15:11
I have it, played around a bit and have plans for using it more. Hopefully this winter tings slow down a bit and I can really delve into it and make full use for a home brew I am working on in my head right now.