PDA

View Full Version : Extensions...probably again

KosherInfidel
September 7th, 2014, 04:32
I am a new user on OSX. How do I get .ext files to load under OSX?
EDIT: I am using Savage Worlds

Thanks all.

damned
September 7th, 2014, 06:56
extensions need to live in the /extensions folder
the easiest way to find this folder is once you launch FG go into images and click folder - this will open up a finder window in the campaign/images subfolder... go up 2 levels and you should see several other folders like rulesets and cache and hopefully extensions. if you dont see extensions you may have to create a folder called extensions. copy your extensions there.
then next time you go to Load Campaign and you select your Campaign Name the list of compatible extensions should show before you click Start.

Ikael
September 7th, 2014, 07:09
Alternatively when you start FG but haven't launched campaign yet, you can see folder icon on top right (above) FG version number. That will open FG Application Data folder where all important folders like rulesets, extensions and modules are. Otherwise everything works as damned mentioned

KosherInfidel
September 7th, 2014, 14:47
Sadly neither of those function. The images 'tab' does not contain any folder or such options, and the folder seen above the version # on the splash screen does not function either. It responds to a click, but nothing opens.

In order to figure out where the .ext files are, I had to navigate thusly:

/Users/XXXXX/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Wineskin/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds

I found the folders damned mentioned I should see, so i was on the right path.

As much as I like the app, the dev team needs to take the OSX wine port seriously and find OSX savvy help; I have had numerous issues with this app, even getting the demo started in Steam. I had to find the fix for that as well.

Thanks damned and Ikael, you at least got me pointed in the right direction

damned
September 7th, 2014, 14:50
Hey KosherInfidel - thanks for the feedback - 2 of the 3 devs actually use Macs and Im sure they appreciate the feedback.

ddavison
September 9th, 2014, 14:56
The Images & NPCs window of rulesets based on CoreRPG should have a folder button on the top left of the window that takes you into that folder structure for the current campaign. That path does become super long, so we recommend saving a link to it externally and then navigating from there. FG was first built around 10 years ago and was heavily dependent on DirectX from the beginning. That pretty much limited us to using Wine for deployment to Mac and Linux for now but it does mean that Mac and Linux users get all the same features (less operating system specific features) at the same time as PC users do. It also means that Mac, Linux and PC users can freely game with each other. There are definite trade-offs there, but we feel this is the best route we could take at this time.

For the next iteration of FG, we are busy porting everything over to Unity with an intention to have it built for Mac, Linux and PC from the ground up. This will allow us to deliver fully native applications to each environment without requiring any third-party dependency on WINE or anything else of that nature.