PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: GM workshop, does that exist ?

Unbutu
September 6th, 2014, 05:23
I've been convinced recently to try and grow the GM population.

I'd like to have a practical session where a experienced GM introduces me to the GM side of things in fantasy grounds, and where we try to run a game so I can ask questions as they come up.

I dare to ask this because I kind of remember seeing such a thing somewhere on the forums in past, but I can't find it anymore. Does such a thing exist ? I've looked around in the stickies, done a research, still I find nothing.

Oh and of course I'm not asking to teach me from scratch. I'm asking now because I imagine it can take a while before I find a GM that can squeeze in such tutoring, but by the time we would do such a session, I would have watched all that's available in video tutorials and on the wiki. I'm already started.

RustyAngel
September 6th, 2014, 05:33
We ran a few of these over in the Steam forums and had some success. People really started getting into it, however it helps if you know what system you want to run. While pretty much any GM can give you a good overview of how the GM tools work, you will need a GM who knows the system to really understand how that system works with FG.

damned
September 6th, 2014, 05:52
What are some of your questions Unbutu?
I fuind that many of the GM questions are not specifically FG related too.
Im running a basic FG GM session at FG Con - but it really is an intro GM session.

Valarian
September 6th, 2014, 08:27
I'm sure that could be arranged, even if you just watch from the GM side , via Hangouts or Skype, for a session.

Valarian
September 6th, 2014, 08:43
There are also a load of good books. I can recommendthese as a reading list.
Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering ~ Robin Laws
Hamlets Hit Points ~Robin Laws
Engine Publishings books (Odyssey, Never Unprepared, Masks)
Dominic Wasch's book on Gamemastering

Unbutu
September 6th, 2014, 08:58
however it helps if you know what system you want to run

That did not occur to me. Interested in Shadowrun, Pathfinder and Fate, mostly. I feel like starting with PF because it seems well supported. (Like, I think I won't have to do as much parsing and stuff do I ? )

What are some of your questions Unbutu?
I mostly don't know where to start, I guess. I'm pretty sure there is lot to learn, I'm looking to learn some of it before starting actual games.

Im running a basic FG GM session at FG Con - but it really is an intro GM session

Yeah the times where bad for me at first glance (I'm going at almost every FG con events except those), but it's something I'm trying to go to.

Valarian
September 6th, 2014, 09:21
I can help with Fate, but not the others.

levinth
September 6th, 2014, 10:07
I can probably help with pathfinder, or at least get you started. I don't know every trick in the book, but I'm pretty comfortable with doing most things in FG and have been GMing on and off for about 4 years...

Unbutu
September 6th, 2014, 10:08
I'm sure that could be arranged, even if you just watch from the GM side , via Hangouts or Skype, for a session.

Hum hum ! Can I ask you when I'll be at this step ? :)

Took the reading suggestions in note. I really reading as a way to learn, so I'm glad you suggest this.

PS: I suppose your Sunday game is either Edge of the Empire, or Age of Rebellion. (In your signature) Or perhaps that's a way to say you use both books ? :p They are quite compatible.

Valarian
September 6th, 2014, 10:52
I'm actually running an Imperial game as an experiment. The PCs are an Imperial Security strike team.

ThinkTank
September 6th, 2014, 15:46
Do GM prep now rather than later.

Plans don’t survive contact with players.

Communication and understanding make the world go ‘round. :)

Alzarian Crimson
September 6th, 2014, 16:16
I would definitely be interested in this type of thing. I can't do the FG Con session because of the timing.

Mgrancey
September 6th, 2014, 17:02
What topics would you want covered?

Obviously running with FG is on the list but what other topics are you interested in.

As a warning, while GMing might run into types of categories, but I find it generally like an art, everyone has their own method.

If you are talking about campaign construction there was a thread that someone had asked about it and I broke down the 3 main versions I know; linear (DnD), Plot Point Campaign (Savage Worlds), and Play (World of Darkness).

Mask_of_winter
September 7th, 2014, 01:21
During this steam launch I ran a demo game followed by a GM workshop. Fantasy Grounds has many tools available to the GM but I don't think it's necessary to use ALL of them. Some of these tools are also very ruleset specific so a Savage Worlds GM like myself can only help an aspiring Pathfinder GM so much. With the upcoming update to SW things will be more standard across the board but I digress.

Some like to GM on the fly while others like to be organised. I found that with either method though, preparation is essential if you want good pacing. You may have access to the whole SRD but creating the Encounter and placing the tokens on the map ahead of time will save you not only a 2-5 minutes but the players won't become bored or start talking about that new video game or whatever takes the focus away from the game.

Alzarian Crimson
September 7th, 2014, 04:02
Although I wouldn't ever claim to be an expert at all, I have DMed quite a bit. So, the stuff I'm interested in learning doesn't really include the ruleset or the art of game mastering but rather the functionality of FG. Like, for example, how the skills work or what can be dragged and dropped, etc.

Mgrancey
September 7th, 2014, 05:11
Like, for example, how the skills work or what can be dragged and dropped, etc.

I am unsure what you mean by how skills work.

So far as drag and drop goes, that varies by the rules set and an internal tag.

But for these rules systems I can tell you what are drag and drop:

SAVAGE WORLDS

Gear,
Powers,
Edges
Hindrances
Allies
Vehilces
NPCs

PATHFINDER/DnD 3.5

Skill Descriptions
Gear
Feats
Traits
SPells

NUMENERA
None

JerryRig
September 10th, 2014, 20:24
I would be happy to help with Pathfinder. Drop me a FG mail on what times your looking at being available (2-3 time/day frames) & we will put something together. I would enjoy adding more to the ranks. I was mentored myself and it was very helpful and confidence building to step from playing to GMing some groups.

You can also find me in the FG teamspeak server (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server) for any assistance I can provide when not running with a group.

Mgrancey
September 11th, 2014, 07:08
I will be doing a live stream this weekend as I finish preparation for a RL Gaming Convention, link to thread is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22070-Module-Creation-broadcast-Twitch-tv&p=186719#post186719). Any questions and such should be posted there.