PDA

View Full Version : Dragonwing Torn Asunder: Critical Hits PFRPG

Nylanfs
September 6th, 2014, 05:21
I am attempting to translate Torn Asunder from Dragonwing Games (https://dragonwing.net/new/store/#!/~/product/category=9886448&id=37742739) into a series of tables with the final aim as something that can be sold via the store to help with Steve's medical bills (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-steve-creech-author-and-game-designer).

For those of you not familiar with the book here's the info.
Here's the basic mechanics when rolling a critical threat if the original roll is +5 above the minimum it's a mild effect, if the rolls is +10 it's a moderate effect, if it's +15 it's a serious effect.

The steps are as follows

Determine severity (Manual or Auto?)
Determine location (Auto)

Roll on Generic body location table or;
Roll on Specific body location table

Using info from Step 1, Step 2 apply affects from chart for location

For instance here's an example
Olivia (F1, BAB +1), wielding her longsword, attacks an orc who’s AC is 14. She rolls a 19 (+ 1 = 20 total), which is within her weapon’s critical threat range. She rolls again to determine if she scored a critical hit. Her second roll is a 15 (+1 =16). She scores critical hit damage (total damage x2), but since her initial attack roll (a 20) was 5 or more over what she needed to hit the orc’s AC she also inflicts a critical effect. In this case she scores a Mild critical effect. (20 – 14 =6)

1d20 Generic Body Location Table
1-4 Arm: Any appendage used to manipulate objects or to attack.
5-7 Tail: Used for either balance, movement or attacking.
8-11 Leg: Any appendage used primarily for movement and sometimes to attack (kicking).
12-15 Torso: The main or central body usually containing most of the vital organs.
16-18 Wing: Any appendage used primarily for flight and sometimes to attack (buffeting).
19-20 Head: Usually contains the creature’s brain, mouth and most of its sensory organs.

So lets say the DM rolls a 4 on the 1d20. This is the following chart for the arm

Arm (appendage):
Severity: Mild
Effect: The victim suffers a -2 penalty to all attacks and Acrobatics, Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Perform, Ride, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Swim, and Use Rope skill checks involving that arm.
Bludgeoning: Bruised: The upper arm is deeply bruised.
Piercing: Stabbed: The upper arm has been pierced.
Slashing: Cut: The upper arm has been sliced open.

Since the longsword is a a slashing weapon the GM would describe "The orc's upper arm has been sliced open". And then apply the penalties.

My question is how does everyone think it should be arranged? Right now I'm thinking of having the following for GM's that want more granularity

Body Location, Generic
Body Location, Abomination
Body Location, ...

And then I'm thinking of having the following

Critical Hits, Mild: Bludgeoning
Critical Hits, Mild: Piercing
Critical Hits, Mild: Stabbed

But then there's also a section that breaks it down by body type, and those have different tables and charts if the GM doesn't want to use the more generic tables above.

And I'm having problems ordering my thoughts I'm going to sleep on it and come back at it fresh tomorrow.