PDA

View Full Version : Twitch Exposure

Ephyzul
September 5th, 2014, 15:49
I have recently come into some free time now that my little one is a bit older and have come back to the FG community. I noticed some threads about roll20's 600k mark and others about ways to give FG some exposure. I am not sure if this has been discussed but if people were to start regular streams of FG games it would greatly enhance the amount of people exposed to FG and the awesomeness that it is. In my experience with Twitch (I know quite a few streamers), I can guarantee that it would give FG quite a bit of exposure, this would also allow possible customers/users to see the game in action. There are videos and the like people can look at but it really isn't the same. A really great way to show titles to the gaming community is to have people constantly streaming the game.

I popped into a stream of a game where the people were using roll20 and asked in chat if anyone had tried FG, not one person out of like 170 people at the time knew what FG was. This would also be great to see people doing streams during FG Con.

Just a thought.

Nylanfs
September 5th, 2014, 19:09
There are some on twitch already. Most just aren't labeled with Fantasy Grounds. I was watching a recorded one where all the players were scottish I believe, it was pretty cool.

ddavison
September 5th, 2014, 20:37
I think you are correct. I need to start planning how we can reach out to twitch, along with all the other various sources.

darrenan
September 5th, 2014, 21:51
I don't really know the first thing about streaming, but if it's easy and my players don't mind, I would be happy to.

psicodelix
September 5th, 2014, 22:15
I've recently started to streaming our game sessions with google hangouts on air. It allows live broadcasting of the game and automatic storing of the video in a youtube channel.

So far the results are pretty good, although there are some things that don't work as I would like.

You can view the result in our youtube channel, Fantasy Grounds Iberia (in spanish, I'm afraid...)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmF9tY3Ex_tN0uiZ5gCb0QQ/videos

Mask_of_winter
September 5th, 2014, 22:35
I considered it after watching ShotgunJolly's session live on twitch but from what I could gather from their site it seems I need to have a certain card for my pc. I'm not very tech savvy and my bandwidth is limited. I am however considering uploading games to youtube. Perhaps if we had a dedicated channel. Hell, a player already uploaded one of my demo game on twitch. That was pretty neat.

Griogre
September 5th, 2014, 23:31
Streaming itself isn't that hard. However you do require the proper hardware and "up" bandwidth to do it well. It actually might be easier to have a player do the stream which is viewpoint you want to publicise the most anyway.

VenomousFiligree
September 6th, 2014, 00:42
Might be worth getting something together to specifically showcase FG on twitch. I'd be happy to play (and record) such a session. Possibly even GM...

damned
September 6th, 2014, 02:08
i think it would be best for a player to upload as you dont want to interfere with teh GMs upload speed - then again many of you dont have upload limitations like we do in Aus. Additionally while the player view is very cool *most* of the magic is happening on the GM side... hmmm...

Treegreen
September 6th, 2014, 05:08
The GM could record normally and upload it separately to Youtube. Then you'd just post a link in twitch that says something like, "The GM's perspective is uploaded to youtube here: _______."

Mask_of_winter
September 6th, 2014, 05:12
Such good brainstorming going on these forums lately! Me likey. Keep it up people!

Ephyzul
September 6th, 2014, 05:36
I know one thing about streaming, to have a successful campaign it needs to be on a regular basis. Maybe we could get a list of people interested in streaming that have the hardware capabilities and try to get as much Twitch time as possible. I don't particularly care to stream but I have the hardware for it and I would be more than happy to stream some games that I get involved in. I noticed SXG has quite a few games I am interested in and have applied to one on the site and one for FG Con, I will stream both these and anything else I can get into.

Another thing to note, if you plan on streaming post in advance maybe a week that you are doing so, people can then post in forums or on other social network sites that these people will be streaming. That way people can reach out in any way they can with the streamers URL to get people to visit the stream. I know the most successful streamers and the games that get the most exposure have streamers that do it for multiple hours daily, I am unable to commit this sort of time but if there is someone who plays FG daily for multiple hours that would be a great candidate for an FG stream. I would be willing to help that person with gifts and other prizes to bring more people into the stream and more people exposed to the supercalifragilistism that is FG.

Griogre
September 6th, 2014, 19:22
I was thinking about the difficulties doing a regular stream myself. Maybe we could get a group together a large enough group of regulars that people can swap things around and not have to play every session.

I would be up for being a player.

Honken
September 6th, 2014, 22:35
I do have some pointers about what I would want to see when watching roleplaying on Twitch. Well, i usually catch it afterwards when put up on Youtube.

First, it is a way for me to see games I am curious about, how they play. Rollplay R&D changes game every 8 to 10th week, they have played Dungeon World, Numenera and Pendragon. Of these three I have only been in contact with Pendragon before. It is also nice to see how other GM's handle the system, and the players for that matter.

I have tried to listen to some Actual play podcasting, and the ones that has worked best for me are the ones with "good" soundquailty. Happy Jacks Podcast published some, and that are the ones I have listened too the most.

I would prefer the format that itmejp (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQj4ZJd2QxRHwVYQbMvcKdQ) is using, having all players mostly shown on screen using webcams (usually some high quality cams, though cam quality isn't as important as sound quality), and occasionally showing Roll20 when doing dice rolls. They play in a more cinematic way. They don't break out minis and battle maps that much from what I have seen. Though I guess that in a effort to expose FG more, showing it's strengths, you would have to do that from time to time.

/H

Arborhawk
September 9th, 2014, 04:17
GeekDomo is the only person I have seen Stream FG. He streams on Sat Afternoons EST. I do hope more stream FG. All I mostly see when I click on the D&D stream is Roll 20.

ddavison
September 9th, 2014, 18:06
Can you post a link to the stream you normally review on Twitch? Is it possible to get a channel just for Fantasy Grounds but allow multiple people to stream to it?

I've seen GeekDomo before and like the layout pretty well. I also looked up itmejp and saw that he uses XSplit to lay things out. I subscribed to XPlay and I'm going through the tutorials now to see how I might lay things out. I could see having multiple scenes to toggle between a default Skype camera view of each of the players with some portion of FG shown in one area (maybe the chat window), another scene with Full-Screen FG and maybe yet another with some combat tracker, map or other portion of FG shown. I'll play around with a few and do some recordings to test things out a bit first.

Honken
September 9th, 2014, 21:47
I've seen GeekDomo before and like the layout pretty well. I also looked up itmejp and saw that he uses XSplit to lay things out. I subscribed to XPlay and I'm going through the tutorials now to see how I might lay things out. I could see having multiple scenes to toggle between a default Skype camera view of each of the players with some portion of FG shown in one area (maybe the chat window), another scene with Full-Screen FG and maybe yet another with some combat tracker, map or other portion of FG shown. I'll play around with a few and do some recordings to test things out a bit first.

I think that the twitch accounts are personal, but a new thing with twitch is that you can host another twitcher on your channel. That means you can have their stream on your channel if you are not streaming anything. So that way, you can highlight other streamers, and in your case, FG streamers.

I think that if you are going to stream your games, having a second client up that can see all the rolls and maps displayed, but cannot see the GM stuff. I am not sure if it works that way with FG...

/H

ddavison
September 12th, 2014, 20:39
I think that the twitch accounts are personal, but a new thing with twitch is that you can host another twitcher on your channel. That means you can have their stream on your channel if you are not streaming anything. So that way, you can highlight other streamers, and in your case, FG streamers.
/H

Thanks Honken. That's worth investigating.

Arborhawk
September 18th, 2014, 20:30
Here is a Link to the 1st cast that GeekDomo did with Fantasy Grounds and Pathfinder. https://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/c/4327549

I enjoy Domo's stream cause for the most part the people involved realize they are on Camera. He also post these on his Youtube channel.

VenomousFiligree
September 18th, 2014, 22:25
Here is a Link to the 1st cast that GeekDomo did with Fantasy Grounds and Pathfinder. https://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/c/4327549

I enjoy Domo's stream cause for the most part the people involved realize they are on Camera. He also post these on his Youtube channel.

Ok, so how is FG incorporated into that layout? Is that post video editing?

ddavison
September 18th, 2014, 22:54
Ok, so how is FG incorporated into that layout? Is that post video editing?

Looking at XSplit, I believe that is pre-setup in advance with multiple scenes showing different areas of the screen or program, along with imported graphics, images and videos that are prepared in advance.

VenomousFiligree
September 18th, 2014, 23:18
Hmm, will have to take a look at that.

Nylanfs
January 10th, 2015, 03:33
Here's a group that plays every friday I'm watching now.

https://www.twitch.tv/ruleofthree