PDA

View Full Version : Gwaihirscout's RotRL campaign feedback

Gertak
September 5th, 2014, 14:21
We just finished our rise of the rune lords campaign a week or so ago, ran by Gwaihirscout so I wanted to take some time and post a bit of feedback for anyone who may play with him in the future, or consider doing so.

First off, he was always punctual. The game was basically always up and ready before any of us came online to join and he always gave notice if he was going to have to miss a session. Very reliable and I would certainly play with him again.
Second, he has a very in-depth knowledge of the rules of the game and the functionality of Fantasy Grounds.
He makes the game fun and tries to tailor it to the group's play style, which was awesome and made the game even more enjoyable.

Over-all it was a great game and a great experience playing with Gwaihir for the last year and a half or so. I'd certainly advise anyone who gets the opportunity to play in one of his games.

avro5731
September 5th, 2014, 18:34
Having also been in the same game I have to agree with Gertak 100% with a few things to say myself:

1) Gawihir was always fair and willing to address disagreements but he didn't let it conflict with the game. That being said Thanks for letting me whine and calming explaining what I was missing.
2) He will never pulled his punches (or at least made it appear he didn't). Speaking as one of the few people (I think the only one) that died and did it often, I was sooooo glad to not to have a GM that watered down anything just to keep players alive. It really makes the game more exciting.
3) Mechanically he knows FG and how to keep the game flowing; even when the FG updates messed up he's stuff he rolled with it and overcame.

All in all over the 18+ months of playing he ROCKED as a GM!

KEEP IT UP!!

Malkavian_Andi
September 11th, 2014, 20:42
I also enjoyed that campaign, and I agree with Gertak and avro.

My character also almost died a few times, I'm glad we used hero points (a lot of mine went into cheating death). ^^

lachancery
September 19th, 2014, 16:06
I have a different perspective than my fellow players:

I joined the game halfway (at level 10) to replace players who had to drop out of the AP.
It was my third game with Gwaihir Scout: the first one where he was a fellow player; the second one where he plays in a game I GM; and now this one where he was the GM - we've done all possible play combinations together!

Feedback on Gwaihir's GMing:

I agree with what the other said about Gwaihir's GMing, and would add that, in my view, he always struck the perfect balance between knowledge/application of the rules and the freedom from rules to let situations flow for coolness and play experience. His GMing never came across as rigid or overbearing - sessions flowed smoothly. When Gwaihir runs an AP again, join up! :)

Feedback on Rise of the Runelords:

I don't know if I'd join again an AP midway like I did. I found it challenging to get deeply immersed in the story; I think I was missing some of the earlier build up that lead to the situations we were dealing with. There were some pretty cool situational setups in the RotRL AP, and a few dungeon crawls that felt a little too long for me. (That said, I don't think I'm a crawler type of player, and I was missing story references.)