PDA

View Full Version : Pre Assign Speaker not working for me!

noelyuk
September 3rd, 2014, 11:43
Hi there guys

I've tried using the pre assign speaker option to indicate NPC dialogue but I can't get it to work somehow. I know how to input the characters name - using the radial tab and assign speaker. But when I drag the text into the chat window it simply says GM: "xxxxxxxxxx" instead of the players name.

I am able to dynamically assign a speaker using /identity "character name" but when running the main game it's fiddly to have to make sure the correct id button is selected and to keep switching between characters in a conversation.

I understand that pre-assigning this speech from within the chat frame should have the same effect but this doesn't happen in my case. Any ideas?

FYI I'm using the WFRP3 ruleset in case that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Noely

PS I've even tried this using a pre made adventure module with speakers already supposedly preassigned and it still doesn't work so I know that the problem is not just that i'm not inputting these correctly.

damned
September 3rd, 2014, 14:22
It is possible that WFRP3 might not support this... but have you also tried just clicking the chat bubble - that should sent it straight over...

ddavison
September 3rd, 2014, 14:47
It might be something in WFRP which is overriding the message on the way to the chat window (or as a result of dropping it there.)

noelyuk
September 3rd, 2014, 15:25
Actually I didn't realise simply clicking the chat bubble sends it to chat...but nevertheless even when I do that it just indicates that it's the GM speaking and ignores the pre-assigned speaker.

damned
September 3rd, 2014, 15:41
please supply screen shot?

noelyuk
September 3rd, 2014, 16:02

In this first pic though the assigned speaker is clearly marked Young boy when I click on the bubble it simply shows GM speaking. If I setup ID for each NPC I can switch between them by pressing buttons and then it correctly identifies who is the assigned speaker like in pic 2. 7380

However from reading up on this I have heard that once the chat box has been identified as assigned to a particular speaker I thought I simply need to click the speech bubble in the chat from and the speech correctly assigned would appear in the chatbox but this currently doesn't happen.

damned
September 3rd, 2014, 16:05
@noelyuk - what extensions do you have loaded?
can you please load up a blank/fresh WFRP campaign and retry?
I just did a quick test with a fresh WFRP campaign and mine works as its supposed to...

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2014, 16:33
What version of the ruleset are you running? It will say on the splash screen when you load up a campaign.

noelyuk
September 3rd, 2014, 17:38
I'm running version 3.0.7 and I tried the same thing using a blank campaign. Still doesn't work unless I first create id's using /id 'character name' and then use the newly created buttons to switch between each speaker

ddavison
September 3rd, 2014, 17:42
You can test with a blank campaign of CoreRPG and see if you have the same issue. If you don't have the issue there, then the issue is likely related to something in the ruleset code for WFRP.

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2014, 17:47
I'm running version 3.0.7 and I tried the same thing using a blank campaign. Still doesn't work unless I first create id's using /id 'character name' and then use the newly created buttons to switch between each speaker

What version of the ruleset are you running? It will say on the Warhammer splash screen once you load up a campaign.

noelyuk
September 3rd, 2014, 17:49
Yes Ddavison

I tried it with the Core RPG as you suggested and it works as expected. Just not in WFRP :(

noelyuk
September 3rd, 2014, 17:54
Ah my bad Trenloe sorry. I misunderstood. It's version 1.5.1 that I'm runnning. I've run the latest updates

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2014, 18:03
Ah my bad Trenloe sorry. I misunderstood. It's version 1.5.1 that I'm runnning. I've run the latest updates
Hmmm, the one I see in the Wiki is 1.4.1 https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Ruleset:_Warhammer_Fantasy_Roleplay

Can you download and try that?

noelyuk
September 3rd, 2014, 18:17
Hmmm That worked...kinda. But I appear to have broken something else now :(

Although the assigned speaker text now shows up correctly named. The speech bubble icon has now been replaced by a black square:

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2014, 19:30
So, it looks like the v1.5.1 version you were using is available on the developer's website: https://41fe5a1fc81e590f4e8940c19b657e9ea5d9a258.googledri ve.com/host/0B27SCDR38xFuNE96TGV4S1Jjdlk/fantasy-grounds-ii/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-v3.html

I suggest you use the "Click here to raise bugs or request new features for this ruleset" link on that page to make the developer aware of your original issue with the v1.5.1 ruleset.

noelyuk
September 4th, 2014, 01:57
Thanks

As suggested i've informed the ruleset developer of this issue via the link you sent and will await their response.

Cheers

Noely

neilgfoster
May 8th, 2015, 09:45
I have had a look at this issue, but cannot understand why it is not working.

I have compared the Core Ruleset and my ruleset to see if they are doing anything different, but cannot see anything in my ruleset that should affect this behavior. Even stranger is if I revert the compatibility of the ruleset to FG v2.9 but make no other changes to the ruleset, then the feature works fine.

I am a bit stumped with this one. Anyone know what may have changed in FG v3.0 around this area?

Moon Wizard
May 18th, 2015, 08:46
If you are still having issues with this, you can send me a note to [email protected]

Please explain the issue again in your e-mail, so I can look at it fresh and see what might be happening. I may need to get a copy of ruleset too.

Regards,
JPG

noelyuk
May 19th, 2015, 00:48
Hi Neil

I emailed support re: this but dont have your email to pass this on. Here's the response. Hopefully it means something to you because I'm afraid it's all beyond my level of technical ability:

Thinking through this a little more. It could be related to the ChatManager script that intercepts chat output to implement GM identity feature. If you are not layering on CorrRPG or replacing ChatManager, you may need to check the onDeliverMessage event path in your code.

Regards,
JPG

damned
June 14th, 2015, 23:09
Moon Wizard - this is also broken in Savage Worlds 4.

Moon Wizard
June 20th, 2015, 01:44
This is a v3.0 ruleset compatibility flag. Once a ruleset upgrades to say it is v3.0 compatible, it needs to handle the fact that spoken text passes through the "onDeliverMessage" callback function.

I'll pass on to the SW developers, and any other developers can look at that callback in CoreRPG or I can help look at it.

Regards,
JPG

phantomwhale
June 25th, 2015, 06:15
Moon Wizard - this is also broken in Savage Worlds 4.

We should have a fix in the test channel now - would appreciate someone checking this out!

noelyuk
July 7th, 2015, 02:52
This is now working in the WFRP3 ruleset. I'm not sure whom I should thank for that. But whether Neil Foster or PhontomWhale or whoever you have my eternal thanks. And since this bug spot was almost a year old this is proof that 'good things come to he who waits'. :)