PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Ruleset Version 4 Videos

Doswelk
August 30th, 2014, 14:37
As some of you may know PW and Aki have been working hard consolidating the CoreRPG ruleset, the Savage Worlds Ruleset and the excellent extensions Aki has made to the Savage Worlds ruleset into one cohesive design.

We are currently discussing plans to have this released for testing by all you lovely Savages (in Dev or Test mode of Fantasy Grounds), but this has not been finalised yet, we are still working out a few quirks and designing the easiest way for minimising problems migrating campaign data.

In the mean time I have started making Videos again!

I have released two so far these are using the latest version I have at this time, so I may have to do update videos from time-to-time if there are major changes.

Hn1NuaLWlXM

M_CYcDDUpL8

Please watch and ask questions, please comment on the YouTube site and subscribe if you have not already.

My plan is to have all aspects covered before the final release of the ruleset, so you can all hit the ground running...

Mask_of_winter
August 30th, 2014, 21:27
Looking great!
Favorite new features:
-Preferences, setting rules
-Races, ability to drag
-Auto-calc minimum str penalty
-Allies on the character even if the bestiary is a gm module only (this may not be new but at some point I stopped using it because if players clicked on the ally link they would get an error/prompt since they didn't have access to GM module)

Are there any plans to update the "look" of the ruleset to make it look like the SW Deluxe (red and white, new fonts)?

Doswelk
August 31st, 2014, 20:49
I may make a deluxe theme, after I fix all the others...

phantomwhale
September 2nd, 2014, 03:29
Are there any plans to update the "look" of the ruleset to make it look like the SW Deluxe (red and white, new fonts)?

Must admit, as a non-professional designer, I did play a bit with the SW Deluxe fonts, but never quite got them displaying nicely.
It would be nice to raise the look and feel to reflect the latest edition though.

You CAN certainly expect less button text and more iconography in the new version however - for instance https://sw4fg2.tumblr.com/post/96069920179/new-buttons-for-tools-both-old-and-new-can-you

ballan4
September 2nd, 2014, 16:51
I have to say that I'm excited to get working with this. I like the improved features very much.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
September 4th, 2014, 15:45
I get release 3.4 what I have to do, to get the release 4?

Trenloe
September 4th, 2014, 18:23
I get release 3.4 what I have to do, to get the release 4?
4 is still in development. The most current release of the Savage Worlds ruleset is 3.5.1 (Build 1). The "Create Campaign" screen reports v3.4 for the Savage Worlds ruleset - which is incorrect. Type /ver in the chat window of a Savage Worlds campaign to see what version you're running.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
September 4th, 2014, 19:24
Savage Worlds Deluxe version 3.5.1 (Build 1) and Adventure Deck version 1.3.0 (Build 1)

Thanks Trenloe

phantomwhale
September 5th, 2014, 01:09
We currently have version 4.0 in the "dev" channel. I DON'T RECOMMEND TRYING THIS ! Why ? Because we haven't fixed up all the extensions yet, and we're still fixing bugs daily.

That said, once we've got the extensions ready and ironed out most bugs, we'll be moving this into the "test" channel. At that point, we'd LOVE pioneers to get out there and try out the new features. This will also be a great time for you guys to act as our "debuggers", pulling out hard to find issues, or things that you use that we'd forgotten even existed as features, etc...

There will be a forum post about this, so keep watching this space. Alternatively, if you shift to the "test" channel now, you should be notified of the update automatically via the FG software.

For the "test" channel, we will probably present an "upgrade" message, so when you load your campaign, you will be asked if you want to move from the old ruleset (SavageWorld3 - v3.5.2) onto the new ruleset (SavageWorlds - v4.0). We're renaming the ruleset for this version, to remove confusion around that dangling "3" on the ruleset name.

ballan4
September 5th, 2014, 01:28
Thanks for the update Phantomwhale, I'm looking forward to testing this and giving you my feedback to make this a better rule set for everyone.

Doswelk
September 5th, 2014, 08:38
I need to make the rest of the videos! :eek:

Ikael
September 6th, 2014, 22:04
FYI for those curious souls who would like to sneak-peek SavageWorlds4 ruleset, you can access it if FG is switched into DEV-mode (note that you must own SavageWorlds ruleset). At the time of writing this post, only the Ruleset, Deluxe Player & GM Guide and Adventure Deck extension are supported. Other products will be quirky if you use them with SW4. We will post more information when more products are pushed into testing mode. Note that this is not yet public testing phase, when we get everything somewhat ready we move to TEST-mode which could be considered as beta-testing phase. DEV-mode is for sneak-peeking atm. Remember to backup your campaign if you want to tryout SavageWorlds4. If you launch your SW3 campaign in DEV-mode it will ask you if you want to convert it into SW4.

Mask_of_winter
September 9th, 2014, 14:07
I've been checking out the SW v4 from the dev channel. Good job guys!

Can't seem to figure out how to do the auto weapon damage update thing. I'll have to watch the video again. The mix of the CoreRpg and Old SW ruleset seem to clash. Not in a good way in my opinion but that's something I can see myself getting over. The Advancement window entry of the SW Deluxe Player Guide module show broken/funky tables.

I don't see myself using the Party Sheet at all but it might help GMs coming from another ruleset retain a sense of familiarity. I personally like the way the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset reskinned this feature. Maybe the community can come up with something else for it. I'm thinking maybe for the Adventure Deck. Since it's possible for players to trade the cards but not look at each other's card, the Party Sheet could be a nice interface for it. It could also be a universal card table. Right now, if a GM wants to draw a card (not on the combat tracker) the only way to do it is directly to a player or drag and drop from the Tools into the chat window and I'm pretty sure that either way the players can see it. It also gets lost with the flow of the chat. Games like Beasts & Barbarians use cards to generate random encounters. It even uses the Random Adventure Generator. Again, this is a personal preference of mine and I understand if there isn't any interest in it your efforts are best placed somewhere else.

Just thought you'd appreciate some honest and constructive criticism. You guys worked hard on this and it shows. I thank you for supporting and continuously improving this ruleset. Keep up the good work!

Ikael
September 9th, 2014, 14:39
I've been checking out the SW v4 from the dev channel. Good job guys!

Can't seem to figure out how to do the auto weapon damage update thing. I'll have to watch the video again. The mix of the CoreRpg and Old SW ruleset seem to clash. Not in a good way in my opinion but that's something I can see myself getting over. The Advancement window entry of the SW Deluxe Player Guide module show broken/funky tables.

I don't see myself using the Party Sheet at all but it might help GMs coming from another ruleset retain a sense of familiarity. I personally like the way the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset reskinned this feature. Maybe the community can come up with something else for it. I'm thinking maybe for the Adventure Deck. Since it's possible for players to trade the cards but not look at each other's card, the Party Sheet could be a nice interface for it. It could also be a universal card table. Right now, if a GM wants to draw a card (not on the combat tracker) the only way to do it is directly to a player or drag and drop from the Tools into the chat window and I'm pretty sure that either way the players can see it. It also gets lost with the flow of the chat. Games like Beasts & Barbarians use cards to generate random encounters. It even uses the Random Adventure Generator. Again, this is a personal preference of mine and I understand if there isn't any interest in it your efforts are best placed somewhere else.

Just thought you'd appreciate some honest and constructive criticism. You guys worked hard on this and it shows. I thank you for supporting and continuously improving this ruleset. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback! Can you give examples how CoreRPG and SW clashes? Auto-update damage option needs to be set on and when you change attributes related to damage calculation, the damage dices are updated immediately. Ie. This requires that you set the damage string (for example str+d6) to your attacks instead of just manually assign it.
How are tables flunky in module?
I have plans to add adventure card tab page to party sheet which shows everyone's cards. This will be part of Enhanced Adventure Card extension.
If you want to draw card in secret just start dragging from the tool and you see what card you got :) don't do that card anywhere to keep it secret.

Thanks again for honest feedback! extremely appreciated that you spend some time checking the ruleset and feeding us about it

Mask_of_winter
September 9th, 2014, 15:02
The clash I'm referring to is in the design. You can tell they are completely different. Colors, fonts,etc. You look at the library menu for a module, it looks a certain way, you click on a link expecting to see the same the red/white colors and fonts and poof! here's your old grayish sheet with the adventure font. Even the character sheet. It's got CoreRpg fonts mixed with the adventure font. I know it would mean a lot more work and by now, for this version it's too late but as I suggested before, updating the graphics to reflect the interior layout and design of the Savage Worlds Deluxe book would match the coreRpg ruleset better. It would look more fluid, seamless. I'm talking red banners with white Haettenschweiler fonts for window headers. Something along those lines. But again, that's a personal preference. Once I get a good look under the hood I'll probably make my own theme.

Ikael
September 9th, 2014, 18:18
The clash I'm referring to is in the design. You can tell they are completely different. Colors, fonts,etc. You look at the library menu for a module, it looks a certain way, you click on a link expecting to see the same the red/white colors and fonts and poof! here's your old grayish sheet with the adventure font. Even the character sheet. It's got CoreRpg fonts mixed with the adventure font. I know it would mean a lot more work and by now, for this version it's too late but as I suggested before, updating the graphics to reflect the interior layout and design of the Savage Worlds Deluxe book would match the coreRpg ruleset better. It would look more fluid, seamless. I'm talking red banners with white Haettenschweiler fonts for window headers. Something along those lines. But again, that's a personal preference. Once I get a good look under the hood I'll probably make my own theme.

OK, now I understand you. The main reason why you see this is because you have used SW so much to expect something :) More seriously it was planned not to rebuild everything from scratch, which would have granted the same design everywhere, no the main purpose was to updated SW to utilize CoreRPG only some few parts so they are not needed to be maintained in SW ruleset anymore. Bringing SW ruleset into CoreRPG was massive task, and I did it four (4) times until I found the best possible approach to do it. The approach was to step by step remove parts from original SW ruleset and replace them with CoreRPG ones. There are several parts that were not touched at all: Charsheet, CT, Chasetracker, NPC & Vehicle sheets, Library content windows, to mention but a few. These are where clashes occur. Those can be covered as well but the most important thing right now is to get this in public testing so we can functionally test it. I know visual appearance is important but it can be done incrementally and iteratively. We cannot strain giant in single brawl, we do it step by step. Personally I am not graphically savvy so I have focused in revising the ruleset functionally. But I agree with you and we are not done here, but let's face it: changing it graphically might mean changes to dozens of existing SW themes. This is big giant we are talking :)

grapper
September 9th, 2014, 22:46
After watching the video I was wondering about the item-based stat boost. I've never played in a setting that used this, so maybe it is covered in the rules, but... If a normal sword is Str+d8 and a user has a d6 Str, the damage is 2d6. If the magic sword gives them a boost to d8, shouldn't the damage go to 2d8 instead of d8+d6?

Ikael
September 9th, 2014, 23:05
After watching the video I was wondering about the item-based stat boost. I've never played in a setting that used this, so maybe it is covered in the rules, but... If a normal sword is Str+d8 and a user has a d6 Str, the damage is 2d6. If the magic sword gives them a boost to d8, shouldn't the damage go to 2d8 instead of d8+d6?

It is really how you interpret the rules. If anyone has valid source to declare that, then it can be changed, but generally if your base strength is not enough then you don't get highest boost. Current approach offers more variety to damage dices but now that I think about maybe that is not the case especially if you play FtF

Doswelk
September 12th, 2014, 19:56
I've uploaded in the gallery some screen shots of the extensions (that have kept me from making more videos...)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22080-Savage-Worlds-Ruleset-Version-4-Pictures&p=186867&viewfull=1#post186867

Mask_of_winter
September 16th, 2014, 14:35
[using SW Enhanced Adventure Deck, Desktop and Library]
So I'm checking out the version in the dev channel. "Drop image files here to add them to your campaign" I drag an image from a folder on my desktop, try to drop it in the Images and Maps. It doesn't work. How do I make this work?
There's a Fantasy Companion ext. What does it do? It didn't change my background or anything. Is that for the tables?

SW Deluxe Player Guide module. In Getting Started, clicking on the link Savage Settings brings up the Races window instead.

In Savage Settings, the image links to all settings are blank.

The addition of Parcels, Weapons, Armor and Vehicles in the Item sidebar is very nice!!

Export module options. How do you export a module as a host, common or shared data? How do you create links in the index? All I see is "A"

The tables with links in the chat window. I love it.

The Hellfrost theme with Hellfrost fonts I thought you had to buy to use. Very easy on the eye! The text "Modifier" above the orb might be difficult to read though (black on dark blue background).

Hell on Earth Reloaded. Again, beautiful! But what happen to the bennies? Blank in the tool bar.

Ikael
September 16th, 2014, 17:41
[using SW Enhanced Adventure Deck, Desktop and Library]
So I'm checking out the version in the dev channel. "Drop image files here to add them to your campaign" I drag an image from a folder on my desktop, try to drop it in the Images and Maps. It doesn't work. How do I make this work?
There's a Fantasy Companion ext. What does it do? It didn't change my background or anything. Is that for the tables?

SW Deluxe Player Guide module. In Getting Started, clicking on the link Savage Settings brings up the Races window instead.In Savage Settings, the image links to all settings are blank.

The addition of Parcels, Weapons, Armor and Vehicles in the Item sidebar is very nice!!

Export module options. How do you export a module as a host, common or shared data? How do you create links in the index? All I see is "A"

The tables with links in the chat window. I love it.

The Hellfrost theme with Hellfrost fonts I thought you had to buy to use. Very easy on the eye! The text "Modifier" above the orb might be difficult to read though (black on dark blue background).

Hell on Earth Reloaded. Again, beautiful! But what happen to the bennies? Blank in the tool bar.

Here are few answers:

"Drop image files here to add them to your campaign" should work. I just tried it myself and it does. This feature is directly from CoreRPG and SW does nothing to it. Can you use that feature in CoreRPG ruleset? -- The issue might be about images you are trying to include. What is the image type?
Fantasy Companion extension provides you missing Arcane Backgrounds. You can see this by typing /ext to chat. This command is similar to /version but read information from different source
Getting Started -> Savage Settings link was fixed (thanks!) and it will be included in future builds
Gotta check those image issues as well
SW4 uses new export approach: There is no need to select host, common or shared data, because GM can manage this by either allowing/disallowin module to players in Module Activation screen. Link indexes are created automatically. So just select A for whatever you want to export

Here are current changelogs of...

Fantasy Companion

[Feature] New Arcane Backgrounds
[Module] Races and Racial Abilities are draggable
[Module] Mundane Gear is draggable
[Module] Ammunition is draggable
[Module] Rollable treasure tables
[Module] Treasure items are draggable
[Module] Bestiary support auto-update damage
[Module] Bestiary powers are linked to Deluxe Player Guide
[Bug] Several broken links fixed

Horror Companion

[Feature] New Derived Stat: Sanity
[Feature] Slow initiative handler
[Module] Races and Racial Abilities are draggable
[Module] Mundane Gear is draggable
[Module] Ammunition is draggable
[Module] Rollable Psychosis table
[Module] Bestiary support auto-update damage
[Module] Bestiary powers are linked to Deluxe Player Guide

Mask_of_winter
September 16th, 2014, 23:50
Here are few answers:

Fantasy Companion extension provides you missing Arcane Backgrounds. You can see this by typing /ext to chat. This command is similar to /version but read information from different source

Ok. I see two extensions for the Fantasy Companion. One simply named Fantasy Companion. The other is : Fantasy Companion: Arcane Backgrounds.

Ikael
September 17th, 2014, 06:29
Ok. I see two extensions for the Fantasy Companion. One simply named Fantasy Companion. The other is : Fantasy Companion: Arcane Backgrounds.

These two extensions are the same, ie. I have provided this extension before, but now it's included in Fantasy Companion product. You can remove the SW Fantasy Companion Arcane Backgrounds_v1.0_build1.ext (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7392&d=1409946861) extension from your extensions folder.

Doswelk
September 17th, 2014, 07:07
[using SW Enhanced Adventure Deck, Desktop and Library]The Hellfrost theme with Hellfrost fonts I thought you had to buy to use. Very easy on the eye! The text "Modifier" above the orb might be difficult to read though (black on dark blue background).You had me worried there about the font, I checked again it has a Desktop License: "Create and print documents, as well as static images (JPEG, TIFF, PNG), even if the images are used on the web or in a mobile app."

Hell on Earth Reloaded. Again, beautiful! But what happen to the bennies? Blank in the tool bar.EEP!
Fixing now!

Ikael
September 22nd, 2014, 21:37
// hijacking

Those who want to test SW4 and DEV channel and have Science Fiction Companion, new update would bring you following features:

New in 1.0
[Feature] New Derived Stat: Strain
[Feature] New Weapon Type: Bomb; uses Knowledge (Bombardier) skill
[Feature] Cyberware can be created as part of campaign. The list can be accessed from Items list
[Feature] Character sheet has new inventory tab-page: Cyberware
[Feature] Cyberware can be exported into module
[Feature] Modifications can be created as part of campaign. The list can be accessed from Items list
[Feature] Modifications can be exported into module
[Module] Races and Racial Abilities are drabbagle
[Module] Cyberware is draggable
[Module] Modifications are draggable
[Module] Stock Power Armors are draggable

Basically this means lots of draggable resources

// hijacking ends