PDA

View Full Version : Whispers of Vessa

Drasnal
August 28th, 2014, 14:24
Call to players:
Hello everyone, I'm trying to kick off a new campaign filled with quite a few twists and turns for all involved. I'm planning on making this a more character driven campaign, as opposed to the smash and grab style many may be accustomed to. I'm hoping to make this a good experience for all involved, so please feel free to contact me with questions.

Summary:

FG License: GM has Ultimate License; players need nothing
Game System: Pathfinder RPG
Genre and Setting: A home-brew world known as Vessa

Time Zone: Eastern Time (GMT -5)
Day of week and time: Ideally on Saturdays, the time is still up in the air however.
Planned Frequency: This will be an ongoing campaign, hopefully we'll be able to run once per week, though extenuating circumstances may change that.

Text or Voice: Text

Roleplay & Combat mix: Roleplay, narrative, investigation, some combat
Number of Players in game & needed: Up to 6 players but no more, no less than 4
Character starting level & equipment: You'll be starting at level 4, all classes are open, but I ask politely that no one choose summoner.
Player experience: No experience needed in Pathfinder, though it is recommended, the combat will be difficult.
Play style: I tend to focus on character development and story building. Combat is great but without reason to drive it, what's it really worth :D

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1257

Setting Information: Vessa is a vast, sprawling world, almost exactly the same size as our own. It has a multitude of cultures and races within it's boarders. It is a darker world, more akin to our own than many fantasy settings, people are weak on the whole, they're born, they die, the world spins on. This campaign will start at a youngish age for your character in the form of RP around the age of 10 (all the races in Vessa age at about the same rate, though some live longer due to exposure to certain forces). They are taken at said age into an organization known as the Order of Draconis, and ancient order created to keep the balance of the world, whether that means destroying a country or saving a child, they care not. To the rest of the world this organization is myth at best, hallucinations of a drunkard at worst. This organization trains it's new recruits for 10 years before accepting them into the fold fully which is where the campaign will truly begin.

Available Races

Elves: There are three primary races of elves in Vessa

High Elves: High Elves are tall, thin souls with pointed ears and deep-set eyes of various colors. Whether they hail from the forests or hidden valleys, they are all born more graceful than humans, though somewhat slighter. They build great cities of white marble and gold, often incorporating water and trees. Most elves live upwards of 300 years. They have fair skin and their hair includes all human colors, plus shades of silver and blue
Wood Elves: Wood Elves are shorter than the rest of their brethren, cunning and intelligent. Their faces tend to be more animalistic. They live in the deep forests around the world, remaining hidden from outsiders in all but the rarest occasions. Their homes are built in massive trees often in small communities. Their skin is a dark tan and their hair is usually a dark, earthy color. Most wood elves only live about 150 years, no one knows why.
Tenrai Elves: Tenrai Elves are elegant, strongly built creatures with pointed ears and deep-set eyes of various colors. They hail from the Tenrai-Ryu Empire, they are more powerful than their cousins, often acheiveing great feats of strength. They build great cities of wooden structures, elevated slightly off the ground, with sloped tiled roofs. These elves live upwards of 200 years. They have tanned skin and their hair includes colors like red, orange and the rarer black.

Dwarves:

Mountain Dwarves: Mountain Dwarves are short, stout, hardy people who come from massive caverns in the high mountains. They are a proud, warlike race, usually made so by frequent contact with savage races such as orcs and goblins. Dwarves usually live upwards of 200 years. In most fantasy campaigns, they have ruddy skin and all human hair colors.
Hill Dwarves: Hill Dwarves are short, stout, hardy people who come from the foothills surrounding massive mountains. They are a more laid back subset of dwarves though still fight furiously against all encroachers. Their homes tend to be mostly above ground with most of their industrial structures under the hills they live on. Hill Dwarves, like their cousins, usually live upwards of 200 years. They have ruddy skin and usually have orange, red or brown hair colors.
Gold Dwarves: Gold Dwarves are short, stout, flamboyant people who come from the Carthan Mountains. They are known for their elaborate dress and noble demeanor derived from the extravagant wealth they’ve extracted from the bones of Vessa. Their mountain strongholds are a sight to behold, glittering gems and precious metals adorn almost every building. Gold Dwarves, unlike their cousins, only live a little longer than Humans, getting to an average of about 150 years. Their skin has a slightly gold tint and their hair colors range from black, to gold, and the rarer silver. Their eyes have a wide array of colors.

Half-Elves: Are rare, though they do exist, many people in more rural regions consider them mythical. A solid mix of their two ancestors, depending on what sort of elf they descend from it can really make for an in
Halflings: Half-folk are small, nimble creatures with fuzzy brown or black hair. Though they are frail compared to most other races, their cheerful optimism (or wily cunning) gives them a “never say die” attitude that makes them more than a match for creatures twice their size. Half-folk see no reason to invite trouble, and tend to live in their own little communities far off the beaten path.
Half-Orcs: Half-orcs are the offspring of either a human and an orc or an orc and another half-orc. Rarely is such a mating willingly accepted or consensual, so the character’s “family tree” is likely more than a little troublesome to him or her. Half-orcs are usually accepted by orcish communities, but are shunned by most other races, including humans, elves, and dwarves. Some half-orcs choose to join the “civilized” races, turning their backs on their barbaric roots, and are often looking to redeem themselves. Many are heroic souls trying to prove their worth. Half-orcs have light-colored human skin with just a tinge of orcish coloration, with black hair and small eyes. Their features are harsh and angular, like that of orcs. Their natural life-span is the same as humans, though it is rare when one dies of old age.
Humans: Of Humans there are a multitude, just as in our world. Varied beliefs, races, and creeds around Vessa makes them one of the most widespread races.
Rakashka

Jungle Rakashka: The Rakashka of the massive Jungles of Chu'ul resemble their jungle cat bretheren, either resembling leopards or black panthers. They are a brutal race of cat-folk, practicing humanoid sacrifice to their gods. Their Society is modeled off Aztek and as such they don't like outsiders. Excepting their desert kin from over the mountains.
Desert Rakashka: Unlike their brutal Jungle kin, the Desert dwelling Rakashka are welcoming of outsiders. They are often viewed as the lords of trade and wealth. Underneath the rolling sands of their homeland untold wealth lies and thus they live in luxury. The desert Rakashka tend to resemble Cheetahs, Lions and the like. Their civilisation is a blend of Egyptian and middle eastern.

Saurian: Saurians are the proud descendants of dinosaurs hailing from the marshes and jungles of Gize. Their lands have been under constant attack by their neighbors to the north, the Rakashaka of Chu’ul. Their descent from dinosaurs is striking, and clearly reminiscent of their velociraptor anscestors. The Saurian people are strong, and incredibly intelligent, cold and calculating. Their fierce appearance often causes people to dislike them, many humans have come back from trading voyages relaying tales of these cold-hearted predators and their twisted, lichen-stained iron walls.

Religion: There are many religions in Vessa, if you look in the right places pretty much all pantheons are represented somewhere. Though there are a multitude of beliefs the most well received of them is the worship of Kaerum. Kaerum is a new god based on ancient ruins found recently as far as Vessa is concerned, and though he is powerful the true religion is based of his seven angels:Caraiel, Veil, Drougel, Michael, Yasuie, Ardor, and Zelfin. Each of whom represend a certain domain.

That's all I can think of off hand, if you've got any questions please message me. (Also if you've got some suggestion for me please make em, I'm sorta new to the forums :D)

Dr_Babylon
August 31st, 2014, 05:26
This is a little rough but, if I were to play a Rogue, this would be her background:

(Note: Italics look sorta nice...)

Cai Tham Rainshroud comes from the distant land of Mua Xuan where she was born in one of the tiny pockets of civilization standing out against the impenetrable rainforests. Most villagers in that rural region, known colloquially as the "springtime people", enjoyed a certain humble prosperity due to their amicable relationship with the natural world. Her mother, Yen Thao, was fascinated by the aloof and enigmatic Wood Elves that make their homes deep within the jungles, out of sight from the common man. So it was, through a torrid love affair with one of these peculiar jungle denizens, that the human woman came to conceive half-elven twins.

Throughout her childhood, Cai Tham was always second-best next to her brother Quang Lanh. Even at an early age, his extraordinary intelligence, diligent resolve and profound creativity were apparent to all. By comparison, Cai Tham developed a sneaky cunning and cynical pragmatism that afforded her little popularity among her peers. Fortunately, the boy also possessed an uncommon and boundless compassion that made Cai Tham love him even more than the rest of the world seemed to. The two were inseparable.

During this period, a powerful leader from the nearby city-state of Phao Dai, a more heavily populated and developed area, seized power and plunged that land into a bloody civil war. Aggressively crushing all domestic opponents, General Binh Phong's voracious military conquest eventually led him across borders and Cai Tham's little village, like so many before it, was easily swept off the map.

Among others, Yen Thao maintained a steadfast and ultimately meaningless stance against the General's all-consuming expansion. Until the bitter end, she professed to her fellow conspirators a belief that the Wood Elves would arrive with spells and steel to aid their oppressed human counterparts in this righteous fight but it was not to be. Hearkening back to ancient tribal customs, the General maintained a policy in triumph of enslaving the surviving relations of the most outspoken dissidents. And thus, Cai Tham and Quang Lanh, not yet adolescents, found themselves on the auction block when a representative from the mysterious Order of Draconis happened to recognize their collective value.

Liberated from a life in chains and transported far from the home she knows, Cai Tham has shown a surprising propensity for stealthy maneuvers and devious problem-solving, as well as a convenient amoral streak. By no means sadistic or cruel, the half-elf girl readily demonstrates a mercenary outlook where violence is concerned that seems incongruous with one so young. Sadly, her quick temper and surly defiance in the face of authority continue to hamper her effectiveness in team-building exercises. In spite of these flaws, Cai Tham's instructors have been quick to point out that, while Quang Lanh continues to prove himself the real treasure, she may yet serve the organization's purposes.

It bears noting that Cai Tham still seems to bear some animosity towards full-blooded elves in general as well as some bitterness over her departed mother's sad devotion to the father who seemingly abandoned his children in their darkest hour. With this in mind, it is especially odd that she still grudgingly acknowledges the "Rainshroud" appellation Yen Thao granted her children in honor of their elven parent.

I'm open to a good deal of modification depending on the choices of the rest of the group, specifics of the setting, or necessities of the campaign. In any event, she'll bring a little angst with her. And it would be an important element that she hasn't laid eyes on her brother in quite some time and has little idea what the Order of Draconis has him working on. He is probably more of an arcanist where as she is essentially just a rank-and-file goon.

Standing by...

kwarner1986
August 31st, 2014, 10:24
I am definitely game this, just need to know the time and how long. I'm pretty open on Saturdays and much prefer text only games. Finally I would get to play Evelyn. There would be a few questions that I would need answered in order to create her background.

Old Man Trouble
September 1st, 2014, 01:49
Beatrix Abernathy Esmeralda Quiticle Abagail … yes, I can see your eyes glazing over already. Well, forget the full name. Just call me Bee. It’s simplest for everyone and I’m the only one that really cares who all my ancestors were anyways.

Over the hills and far away. What a great way to describe the countryside where I came from. Far away from everything and everyone of importance… or so it was said by anyone of ‘note’. Let me tell you, the sheep certainly didn’t care, so long as they had grass to chew and other sheep to make more sheep with.

I was supposed to be a stillborn. Did I ever tell you that? Of course I didn’t, seeing as how we just met and all. It’s true, though. Some priest or another was supposed to have cursed my mother. Oh how I laugh when I think about it, that some stuffy old busybody priest would try and curse one of my line. The irony is plain for all to see.

But here I am, alive and kicking and all thanks to these fine folk that were so delighted to take me on and teach me all sorts of wonderful things. Yes, isn’t life just as grand as could be…

I was ten when they came. How they knew is beyond me, but such is the way of the world.

Natural causes after an unnatural birth. That’s how dear mumsy died. When you’re barely out of your teens and giving birth to something like me, it has to be unnatural, right? Guess it didn’t help that the old warlock who was my father was a few years past a hundred at the time. It was foretold by one of my ancestors, and thus it came to pass. I too will have a lovely white haired daughter.

Oh don’t look so hopeful. It won’t happen ‘till I’m sixty two.

So where was I? Oh yes, of course… It was the death of my father. One hundred and thirteen he was when he finally passed into the great pool of knowledge that is my heritage. He’s still with me, you know, whispering into my ear in the night.

Hey, you wanted to hear this story. No one ever said it was a nice story. But what does a ten year old girl do in a village, all alone, when one half of the place thinks she’s cursed, and the other half thinks she’s just evil. What must they have thought when I was whisked away in the night, never to be heard of again? They probably salted the ground after burning our place to the ground.

And just where do you think you’re off to? I was just getting started… Tssss… Men.

And Bee just went on staring at the retreating back while her toes waggled in her stockings below the table. Her eyes bored into his back and the hex fell upon him.

-If you ain’t got respect, you ain’t got a thing.- Isn’t that right dear Granny? He’ll show me more respect next time, now won’t he. Yes indeed, he will.

Drasnal
September 1st, 2014, 06:05
This is a little rough but, if I were to play a Rogue, this would be her background:

[i]Cai Tham Rainshroud comes from the distant land of Mua Xuan ...

Dr. B, The only major issue I have with this is the rainforest thing. There are only two major jungle regions in Vessa, one is uninhabited, the other is full of Cat people and Dinosaurs (I suppose my wording was a bit convoluted with the big trees thing, was thinking more along the lines of giant pines and the like in temperate zones) . I can also see there is a heavily Chinese aspect to most of your naming conventions...which is one of the only cultures I didn't make room for >.< (can't make my life easy can you XD then again wouldn't be doing it right if my job was easy)

The primary location where you can find the wood elves is a place called Haukainga (it's sorta a Hawaiian naming convention) the wood elves there live in close proximity to Humans settlers from Valenford. It is very plausible your siblings would be from somewhere in there. It's got a sub-tropical climate with a mix of large deciduous trees and smaller tropical ones.

And thinking about it, it's likewise possible that trade between the human settlements and the Tenrai-Ryu empire may have influenced the culture blending it into something Chinese-esque.

Also As I mentioned the order can only have 100 members at a given time, as such it would be impossible (for simple reason of tradition if nothing else) for her brother to be likewise inducted, as previously mentioned being taken into the order of Draconis is a matter of fate, though twins may be entwined in that sense, they do not share the same fate.

Unbutu
September 1st, 2014, 06:06
I love characters oriented games, but even for those I prefer voice. GL !

Drasnal
September 1st, 2014, 06:15
Beatrix Abernathy Esmeralda Quiticle Abagail … yes, I can see your eyes glazing over already. Well, forget the full name. Just call me Bee. It’s simplest for everyone and I’m the only one that really cares who all my ancestors were anyways.

Old Man Trouble. I think i love your character. Just saying. Love quick witted people and characters...I see her getting along well with Talir.

Drasnal
September 1st, 2014, 06:15
I love characters oriented games, but even for those I prefer voice. GL !

Thanks Ubuntu :D

Drasnal
September 1st, 2014, 06:19
I am definitely game this, just need to know the time and how long. I'm pretty open on Saturdays and much prefer text only games. Finally I would get to play Evelyn. There would be a few questions that I would need answered in order to create her background.

Hey Kwarner, Sorry it's taken me a bit to hit you up, I'm currently looking for 5 players, though some1 else got to me before you did, there is still some time so if a spot opens up I'll let you know.

Dr_Babylon
September 1st, 2014, 07:04
Sorry about the confusion. I hadn't been clear on the bit about the traditional 100 fated members. Was only operating on the notion of a secret organization that recruits and trains children to achieve its goals. With these new insights, I can see how Cai Tham (more of a Vietnamese than Chinese theme, not that it matters) doesn't fit your world. I had been hoping that there would remain some latitude (if you'll forgive the wording) regarding places of origin.

Hrm. I shall reconsider my options.

Drasnal
September 1st, 2014, 07:08
Sorry about that :( I thought I had been clearer. Then again I've been talking to so many of you, all the conversations are blurring together. Not like there isn't time though.

cheechako
September 1st, 2014, 09:50
Dr. B, The only major issue I have with this is the rainforest thing. There are only two major jungle regions in Vessa, one is uninhabited, the other is full of Cat people and Dinosaurs (I suppose my wording was a bit convoluted with the big trees thing, was thinking more along the lines of giant pines and the like in temperate zones) .

I've been skimming the thread; I like the intro even though I can't make the time-slot. :(

So I don't mean to butt in, but some helpful clarification: Temperate Rainforests are different than Jungles. The largest Temperate Rainforest runs from California up the west coast of North America all the way to southern Alaska. So, if sections of your pine forests get a lot of rain every year, they would qualify.

Drasnal
September 1st, 2014, 17:10
Ah, excellent! The more you know :D

RustyAngel
September 8th, 2014, 01:15
Okay, wrote up a quick bio, let me know what needs to be changed for cultural/environmental reasons.

Drasnal
September 10th, 2014, 01:31
Good read angel, Looks great :)