PDA

View Full Version : Native FG voice comms

VenomousFiligree
August 26th, 2014, 21:53
As for Voice Chat functionality, as Trenloe has stated, to date Smiteworks have opted to focus on delivering core VTT functionality leaving Voice comms (if required) to the many freely available VoIP platforms like TeamSpeak, Skype, etc. etc. Having said that, this may not always necessarily be the case. As you know we are currently looking at moving FG over to the Unity3D platform so I'd be interested to understand, if Voice Comms were to be considered for a future version of FG, exactly what kind of functionality you guys would value?

Not wanting to derail the thread this was taken from and to make it more prominent, I've started a new one.

For me being able to play in a hangout would be great and would also make it more accessible to many online RPers (imo)

damned
August 26th, 2014, 22:18
is there any reason you couldnt play while in a hangout?

Trenloe
August 26th, 2014, 22:38
In the end, whatever native voice comms is embedded in FG (if there ever is any embedded), you're still going to have to run FG in order to play. For example, embedding Google Hangouts in FG wouldn't suddenly allow people in a Google hangout to play using Fantasy Grounds - they'd still have to install and load up Fantasy Grounds. Yes, it might attract some people who see that there is native hangout support but it might also push some anti-Google people away - for example.

So, Smiteworks have to be very careful if they decide to embed voice comms in FG. Do they go with a voice library and run their own voice servers? Or do they add support for one (or more) of the currently available voice comms apps out there: TeamSpeak, Mumble, Ventrillo, Skype, Google Hangouts, etc., etc. - which then has the problem of relying on one (or more) third party products/services being usable now and years into the future and also the issue of some people not wanting to use a specific voice comms provider.

I suppose that having a voice comms option in FG won't prevent you continuing to use your current preferred voice comms method, just don't use/disable the native FG voice comms - and tell your groups what you'll be using instead of the default FG voice.

Ultimately, I think any form of voice comms would be a "tick in the box" for people looking at Fantasy Grounds and comparing it with other VTTs. It would also be handy for newbies getting up and running quickly and easily with voice comms as it would all be in one package. Or maybe it would be another area where some users get frustrated with technical connection issues and blame it all on FG.

VenomousFiligree
August 26th, 2014, 23:16
is there any reason you couldnt play while in a hangout?

I want FG to run in a hangout, not run a hangout while playing FG :)

...but it might also push some anti-Google people away...

Would would having the option of it in a hangout push anti google people away, it could still be played normally :/

Trenloe
August 26th, 2014, 23:37
Would would having the option of it in a hangout push anti google people away, it could still be played normally :/
It was just an example - it could equally be applied to providing Skype integration, some anti Microsoft people might be turned away - even if they never intent to use voice. They may not do the investigation to find out that they don't have to use Skype/Hangouts/<The Company I hate voice comms> in order to use Fantasy Grounds.

... having the option of it in a hangout..
I'm now confused what you're asking for - are you asking for FG to have hangout integration embedded within the Fantasy Grounds interface (for example, a window in the FG desktop is essentially a hangout window), or are you asking for Google Hangouts to embed Fantasy Grounds within Google Hangouts (for example, a window within hangouts displays the FG window alongside the voice/video windows of hangouts)?

dulux-oz
August 27th, 2014, 03:58

Possibly - some people can get very, very fan-boy/anti- over products, companies, perceptions, etc.

damned
August 27th, 2014, 05:29
Possibly - some people can get very, very fan-boy/anti- over products, companies, perceptions, etc.

Hey!
Who are you calling a fan boy?

ddavison
August 27th, 2014, 14:40
I would think that playing in a playout with full integration would take a design specifically for that usage and would be far from what we are planning with future versions of FG. Tight integration with any technology can provide additional features but also adds additional limitations. I don't see this in our near or long-term future for FG.

Some form of optional built in video/chat could potentially be in the future of FG at some point if there are strong enough libraries in Unity to allow for that.

dulux-oz
August 27th, 2014, 16:13
Hey!
Who are you calling a fan boy?

I'm not calling anyone in particular a fan-boy

But if the hat fits... Air-Conditioner-Lad!

:p

VenomousFiligree
August 27th, 2014, 17:19
I'm now confused what you're asking for - are you asking for FG to have hangout integration embedded within the Fantasy Grounds interface (for example, a window in the FG desktop is essentially a hangout window), or are you asking for Google Hangouts to embed Fantasy Grounds within Google Hangouts (for example, a window within hangouts displays the FG window alongside the voice/video windows of hangouts)?

My choice would be FG in a hangout, however my first choice is always to concentrate dev time on the VT itself. If the code base can support something like FG inside a hangout, for minimal effort, then I would say go for it.

Trenloe
August 27th, 2014, 18:24
My choice would be FG in a hangout, however my first choice is always to concentrate dev time on the VT itself. If the code base can support something like FG inside a hangout, for minimal effort, then I would say go for it.
That would rely on Google Hangouts supporting embedding applications in the same Google hangout window, not much (if anything) for FG to do - it would all be on the Google Hangout side.

VenomousFiligree
August 27th, 2014, 18:42
They do support it, Roll20 (amongst others) for example. However I think the software that is going to be embedded has to be compatible.

damned
August 27th, 2014, 23:39
Yeah but Roll20 was built from day 1 on top of Hangouts.
Its a great idea and it works. But to do that for FG would be a substantial rewrite and not even known if it would support the degree of complexity that FG can.
Congrats on Kickstarter too!

Nylanfs
August 28th, 2014, 00:41
Unless it could be added with next to no time commitment on Smiteworks part I would say it isn't worth it.

VenomousFiligree
August 28th, 2014, 07:59
Yeah but Roll20 was built from day 1 on top of Hangouts.

Not from day 1, but early in its life.

And thanks :)