PDA

View Full Version : Can I make targeting lines visible for client if targeter is not modifiable?

Ikael
August 25th, 2014, 19:51
So I would like to display active combatant's targeting lines in SW minitracker. This should happen wheter combatant is friend or foe. I have been figuring out that
tokeninstance.setTargetsVisible (which is not in reference guide, btw) can be used to display targeting lines, but they are only visible if tokeninstance is setModifiable(true). Now I do not want my players to be able to target as foe, but I would like to be able to show whom the evil NPC is targeting on map. Ideas?

Moon Wizard
August 26th, 2014, 02:46
The targets visibility was deliberately disabled for NPCs, since my assumption is that most GMs want to hide who NPC is targeting (or don't care) rather than making it visible. I'm a big proponent of taking the 90% approach instead of complicating ruleset or UI with options.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 26th, 2014, 02:48
I got a "lot" of negative feedback when all targeting information was visible all the time. Plus, players should see their own active character targets by default, since that is where people are most focused.

Regards,
JPG

Ikael
August 26th, 2014, 08:03
I got a "lot" of negative feedback when all targeting information was visible all the time. Plus, players should see their own active character targets by default, since that is where people are most focused.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks for the info.

I didn't like it either when all targeting information was displayed on map. It simply cluttered everything, however in SW4 there is new approach: currently active combatant's all possible targeting information is visible for all. This means that single token's targeting information is displayed to everyone at time (in CT and on map). This is because SW does not support auto attacking/damaging by dropping dices on token etc. SW battle can have several dozen tokens on map (most of them are just mooks) and it's hard for players to know whom NPC is attacking unless GM verbally or chatty tell that. Because in the most cases there are more NPC mooks than important character, GM usually wants to deal them quickly. The time is more spend during PC and Wild Card NPC turns. Something important might get ignored if GM would just roll quickly and see if it hits, without explicitely letting players know (via verbal, chat or programmatic announcement) to speed up the fast-furious-fan game, and trust me there is temptation to deal mook attacks as-quickly-as-possible. GM known whom NPCs are attacking because he can see targeting lines (all token are modifiable for him), but for instance if PC has Counterattack edge, it might just got ignored if player does not know that he was attacked and it missed. Quickest way (without verbal notification) to declare missed NPC attack is by showing the targeting lines from NPC to PC.

At the moment I am handling all this programmatically and noticed that PCs could not see NPC targeting lines, unless NPCs were made modifiable :/ I understand if you don't want to focus on this request as it's minority, but it's still SW, one of the most used ruleset ;) I don't mind if nothing is done for this, but what about idea of providing bForceShow argument to tokeninstance.setTargetsVisible function? If this is set to true, the targeting line is rendered even if modifiable is set false. Just an idea.