PDA

View Full Version : Impressions & FG CoN 5 presence

Mask_of_winter
August 24th, 2014, 01:45
Whoever did the artwork (I suspect Zeus) for this ruleset did a great job! I really like it. Reminds me of games like Torchlight. It's got "fun" written all over it.

Following all the buzz around the 5th edition release I decided to read up on the basic rules and see for myself before bashing or totally dismissing the franchise like I've been for the past 5 years. So far i like what I see in terms of gameplay. I haven't ran it or played in it yet but I can tell it probably goes a lot smoother and faster than with 3.5 and 4e. I just wish it was easier to use different campaign settings. My favorite is Eberron. Coming from Savage Worlds where it's easy to adapt material I scowl at the thought of having to create new classes and races for Eberron.

With that said I'm considering running some 5e for the con. Either an adaptation of a classic module or Vault of the Dracolich (I like the concept and it would be fun- though challenging- to coordinate 4 tables for the event, anyone??). I see there's a parser (never used one) but since I'm totally new to 5e are there any other ressources I should know about that would make it easier for me to make the transition and submit an event for the con? Does the ruleset support all the fancy-schmancy automation that other rulesets like PF,4e,etc have? Is there a manual I can read? Tutorial videos? I mean I've been running games on FG for over 5 years but Savage Worlds doesn't use that level of automation (and in my opinion it goes a lot faster without it) and last I touched 4e was 2009 so I'm a bit rusty.

ianmward
August 24th, 2014, 06:29
Love the idea of Vault of the Dracolich, It could be really great, though I share your concern over coordination and you'd need a lot of players to make it work.

Mask_of_winter
August 24th, 2014, 07:01
If it's 5e it may not be that hard to recruit players. It's about 8 weeks to FGCON 5. We could start a discussion about it somewhere.

gamerhawaii
September 6th, 2014, 22:02
Whoever did the artwork (I suspect Zeus) for this ruleset did a great job! I really like it. Reminds me of games like Torchlight. It's got "fun" written all over it.

I like it too and agree with the "fun" statement. To me, it looks exactly like the "Kingdom Rush" game (which is a very fun tower defense game if you have not played it.)

dberkompas
September 7th, 2014, 00:05
I have a serious problem with bright shiny object syndrome.

I fall in love with a game system, and something new comes along and I jump on that bandwagon next.

I just got back into RPG's just a few years ago after taking a 20yr break. I last played 2nd edition, and when I recently got back into it, saw that Pathfinder was what everyone was playing.

I played 3 sessions of Pathfinder Society, and it just didn't do anything for me. I had no passion to play, so I stopped gaming for a couple years.

Then I found Castles & Crusades, and was excited yet again, but after a few games, really felt let down.

I blame that on the GM's, they just didn't live up to my memories from my late teens.

Recently I started playing some Savage Worlds, and it's better than any other game I've played in the past couple years.

Well, 5th Edition comes out, and of course I have to give it a try, since my fondest memories are of D&D back in the early to mid 80's.

I created a Tiefling Warlock for the Adventurer's League, and signed up at the last minute for Pacificon in Santa Clara, CA.

I HAD A BLAST.

I can't remember enjoying playing D&D this much in a very, very long time.

Hopefully I can play at FG Con.

BoomerET

ballan4
September 7th, 2014, 23:35
I'm really enjoying reading the PHB. It looks great and so far I'm having no problems understanding what I need to do. The rules section is very nice as it's right to the point and easy to understand. My only problem with the entire system is the price tag. The basic rules are free but the three main books are $50 a piece. I prefer to buy from my FLGS but it's looking like Amazon may win my D & D Dollars.

I'm also a big Savage Worlds fan and have purchased many of the books that go with it. I haven't found anything I don't like yet.

Trenloe
September 7th, 2014, 23:47
BOOM!

We've hit 50 events (52 at time of writing) - this is the first time FG Con has hit this milestone and it's AWESOME!

Now, we need to make sure as much of these events go ahead as possible - and this needs players signing up. Get the word out folks!