PDA

View Full Version : Rotation of Windows in FG2- possible?

trenth99
August 22nd, 2014, 22:32
Hey Everyone. I have a weird question about the 5E Playtest. I was wondering if it would be at all possible to rotate the windows in FG2. This is the reason why.

I want to set up a table that has a monitor imbedded into the surface (35-45"). Then I want to dual monitor that with a PC or laptop. The Computer will be logged into the DM version of FG2, and the table monitor will be logged into the Player version and will be logged into 4 characters. Then i want to be able to open all of these character sheets, and have some able to rotate 180 degrees so that people can sit on a different side of the table and be able to read right side up. Is the function of being able to add a rotation to the windows in FG2 incredibly challenging?

Thanks guys

T

Bumamgar
August 22nd, 2014, 23:54
Unless your embedded monitor is UHD capable of driving a resolution in the 4k range, this isn't going to be very useful. Just because a monitor is 45" doesn't mean you get more than 1920x1080 resolution out of it. Each character sheet in the default 5e ruleset is 580px high and 500px wide. You're going to end up with a screen like this:7332

Which is clearly not very useful.

trenth99
August 23rd, 2014, 00:02
Thank you, i didnt think about that. Any other solutions besids the need of a UHD? I know that there are other systems like RPTools + MAPTools that utilize embedded monitors, but I love the feels of FG and the automation involved in the system

Unless your embedded monitor is UHD capable of driving a resolution in the 4k range, this isn't going to be very useful. Just because a monitor is 45" doesn't mean you get more than 1920x1080 resolution out of it. Each character sheet in the default 5e ruleset is 580px high and 500px wide. You're going to end up with a screen like this:7332

Which is clearly not very useful.

Bumamgar
August 23rd, 2014, 00:06
Well, if money is no object, You could keep the 45" screen in the middle for the map + combat tracker, and then put in individual 15" or 17" screens for each player? I dunno, seems like a bit much...

trenth99
August 23rd, 2014, 00:28
LOL, that would be hilariously lavish. Love it

Well, if money is no object, You could keep the 45" screen in the middle for the map + combat tracker, and then put in individual 15" or 17" screens for each player? I dunno, seems like a bit much...

damned
August 23rd, 2014, 00:30
So you want to be able to have individual elements rotated 90 or 180 degrees?
I dont think there is any support for that.
You could check out on the wish list if anyone else has asked for it before but I dont recall seeing any requests for it... so its probably not on anyones radar and probably way down on the priority list....

trenth99
August 23rd, 2014, 00:34
yeah, i guarantee that it is way down. Just was curious if it was at all possible. Bumamger already brought up a good point thought in regards to size of the player's character sheets. I guess another quesiton is if there is a plan for Mini char sheets in the works for 5E, much like i think was in 4E system.

Moon Wizard
August 23rd, 2014, 03:34
The problem with most monitors will be the number of pixels. Even mini sheets are going to be 300x300. You can try the /scaleui option to get scale by 50% smaller, however graphics and text start to get harder to read due to lack of pixels. So, back to UHD to show multiple sheets plus map well.

Looking long term future, thinking we would look at having "shared" player screen for map/minis/tracker and a separate screen for each player (tablet/laptop) as our desired goal. Resolution will be an issue for many more years I'm thinking.

Cheers,
JPG

Bumamgar
August 23rd, 2014, 04:40
It would be awesome if there was a tablet version of FG with just player/client features!

damned
August 23rd, 2014, 09:28
It would be awesome if there was a tablet version of FG with just player/client features!

Now that Steam integration is pretty close to finished (maybe still working o the workshop?) this may have moved up the queue... it is definitely something that SW would like to do... it would almost definitely only be a player client if/when it happens. dont hold your breath but it is on the radar.