PDA

View Full Version : 5e ruleset

hawkwind
August 22nd, 2014, 16:12
Braving myself with the the thought that there is no such thing as a stupid question I have a few about the rules et after playing around with it for an afternoon

1. is the advantage/disadvantage mechanic automated in some way or do you just role twice?

2.I managed to get spells working ok with my limited knowledge of how effects work but one thing I did not see was a way to keep track of spell preparation and spell slots expenditure, am I just failing my perception roll?

3 and my final question for now is what is the syntax for AC bonus effect?

I have got to say that i am impressed how just copying and pasting works on the action tabs for NPC''s thus making entering of usable monsters quite easy so I can put of using PAR5e until I have a decent scan of the monster manual.

ddavison
August 22nd, 2014, 16:35
1.) Next to the modifier box in the lower left corner are two buttons: Adv and Dis. Toggle those on or off prior to a roll and it will automatically roll twice and keep the high or the low, respectively.

2.) On the character sheet's action tab, you can toggle between different modes for spellcasting actions. Change it to Standard | Preparation | Combat to see the different modes. You can mark off spell slots by checking the round buttons when in Combat mode.

3.) the format for effects can be found on the wiki here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

As an example, you can enter the following string for Shield of Faith:
AC: +2 melee; AC: +2 ranged;

Then set the duration as appropriate, set the Targeting to "Targets" and the Expend to "Never"

Xorn
August 22nd, 2014, 18:39
I have got to say that i am impressed how just copying and pasting works on the action tabs for NPC''s thus making entering of usable monsters quite easy so I can put of using PAR5e until I have a decent scan of the monster manual.

I agree, I was very impressed with the auto-parsing in NPC entries.

Ironically though, NPCs is probably the EASIEST section to use PAR5E on. :) You just paste in each line from the basic PDFs, with an empty line between NPCs, and a ##; before their Description section.

That's it. :P

hawkwind
August 22nd, 2014, 20:59
Thanks for help

Ferghis
June 20th, 2015, 21:48
Is there any way to add a power that you can use x times between long rests?

Is there a way to note that domain spells are always prepared?

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2015, 22:22
For the first question:

Go to the actions tab and click on the little brownish dot with a white stroke through it in the bottom right. This will open up two new icons; click on the star one to add a new power.
This will create a new power with two descriptor boxes; type into each box whatever you want to call your power and description of that power and then press tab.
You will now see that your power has been created and it you look on the name line of the power you will find a little magnifying glass. Click on that.
This will open up a new dialog box at the bottom of which you will see a box into which you can type in uses. Next to that is a box which you can click through Daily/Rest/Once and that will set the number of time you can use this ability.
You can use this method to set up all kinds of things such as Monk's Ki points, sorcerer points, Barbarian Rages and many more.

In regard to your second question.

I can't think of any way that you can note that Domain Spells are always prepared per se. However the Cleric will presumably know that he always has those prepared and will automatically choose them. The Character sheet doesn't track spells known or prepared as such; it simply tracks how many spells slots have been used.

Ferghis
June 20th, 2015, 23:14
Thanks. I hope it's okay for me to use this thread as the title. I don't mean to hijack someone else's thread inappropriately.

Is there any way to sort this spell list to just show the prepped ones? Or at least list those at the top? Clerics and Druids have lots of spells to sift through otherwise.

Also, would it be possible to show the casting time or power action type in the ability list? That's a pretty big detail when looking through a list of abilities.

Finally, I noticed that many effects, such as Shield of Faith, or the examples in the linked wiki, are not programmed in. Am I missing something?

JohnD
June 20th, 2015, 23:46
I would change the domain spells from "Spell" to "Domain" - this will put it in it's own heading. I would then as a Player not tick off the use of a spell when casting said Domain spell(s).

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2015, 09:44
Indeed, Clerics and Druids do have many spells and much room could be taken up on the actions tab if you put all of them in there.

In practical terms I've found that my players only use a few spells and so what they do is only put the ones they are likely to use into their action tab. That's not to say that they can't or don't use any of the others it's just a practical thing that they do so as to not have every spell on the actions tab knowing that 75% of them will never get used. Now that suits my campaign but it might not suit yours, but it is worth thinking about.

Now, as regards separating spells out, I think you will make things a little complicated. Firstly there isn't a way to sort the spells since they automatically go in alphabetical order. You could of course change the name by putting a letter in front of them such as "a. Burning Hands", "b. Bless" etc and this would sort them into the order you wanted. You could have all the divine ones start with "d." for example.

I would hesitate before using JohnD's suggestion above because although Domain Spells are always prepared that doesn't mean that they are always available. Your Cleric can't cast them if they don't have any spell slots left. If you don't mark them off then it's possible that the player might forget what they have and haven't cast.

Currently the Casting time isn't shown on the list, but you could add that to the list of things you'd like to see implemented here https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Finally, when a spell is dragged into the action tab Fantasy Grounds will do the best it can to parse the spell and produce a sensible action or effect. It does this by latching on to certain words and phrases in the spell description. In some cases, however, the exact form of words just isn't recognised by the program and so it can't parse anything useful out of it. The spell Shield of Faith is one such example. For those spells you will need to manually create the effect. The Wiki page is there to assist you in this endeavour.

Ferghis
June 21st, 2015, 15:34
Firstly there isn't a way to sort the spells since they automatically go in alphabetical order. You could of course change the name by putting a letter in front of them such as "a. Burning Hands", "b. Bless" etc and this would sort them into the order you wanted. You could have all the divine ones start with "d." for example.
I might do this, if it comes down to it. I'll add the notion of sorting by whether it's prepared first, and alphabetically second, in the "Combat" view in the wish list.

Currently the Casting time isn't shown on the list, but you could add that to the list of things you'd like to see implemented here https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/
Thanks. I searched for a suggestion similar to this one, but couldn't find one. And now that I've registered there (and confirmed my email), I can't figure out how to add an idea. Maybe there's a waiting period before I can add it.

Finally, when a spell is dragged into the action tab Fantasy Grounds will do the best it can to parse the spell and produce a sensible action or effect. It does this by latching on to certain words and phrases in the spell description. In some cases, however, the exact form of words just isn't recognised by the program and so it can't parse anything useful out of it. The spell Shield of Faith is one such example. For those spells you will need to manually create the effect. The Wiki page is there to assist you in this endeavour.
Holy crap: you mean to say that all the effects generated by the 5e ruleset is parsed out ON THE FLY by the parser? That... is some parser. I mean, I would prefer some human feedback be implemented into the ruleset, but I understand the amount of labor involved in that, so this does seem to be a good way to deal with that. I'm very impressed.

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2015, 15:47
Thanks. I searched for a suggestion similar to this one, but couldn't find one. And now that I've registered there (and confirmed my email), I can't figure out how to add an idea. Maybe there's a waiting period before I can add it.

I have never used it but I think you just type into the "I would like to ..." box. If you type something that isn't there you can then continue to add it in.

Holy crap: you mean to say that all the effects generated by the 5e ruleset is parsed out ON THE FLY by the parser? That... is some parser. I mean, I would prefer some human feedback be implemented into the ruleset, but I understand the amount of labor involved in that, so this does seem to be a good way to deal with that. I'm very impressed.

Not everything, but many, many things. It's a question of whether the form of language used by WotC can be recognised. Sometimes it just can't. There is still development going on of course so more stuffs may well be parseable (yeah I know its not a word) in the future.

Ferghis
June 21st, 2015, 15:49
I have never used it but I think you just type into the "I would like to ..." box. If you type something that isn't there you can then continue to add it in.Thanks. I was looking for a button on the main page, but forcing the user to search first is a smart implementation.