PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate License and Free licensed players, a BIG deal breaker for me.

lowew79
August 18th, 2014, 18:45
Hey Everyone,

I got the demo version of the software and played around with. The learning curve was steep and I haven't figured it all out yet, but it seemed do-able. I bought the ultimate license and got to work.

Meanwhile I was watching you tube tutorials, namely Mr. Dulux-oz, to try to continue to educate myself. During one of his videos, I heard some information that really messed me up.

He said that in the instance where the GM has an Ultimate license and the players all have free licenses, that the clients CANNOT connect via a LAN.

NOOOO, why is it this way? I paid the big bucks for the premium ticket lol, but now my players can't connect without internet access?

The reason it is an issue is because we game in person, I wanted a VTT to keep track of HP of npcs and so on automatically. I live in an area with some internet, but certainly not GREAT internet. There is NO WAY that my connection will support 5 computers connected to the internet at once. it may do two or three but its very inconvenient to ask all my players to share the same laptop. I was counting the functionality to prepare my materials, package them in a campaign, and then run via LAN for my friends.

I know that another solution would be to have them all buy LITE licenses, but they won't do that, and I don't want to have to ask them (and I'm not buying a lite license for them). Thus the reason I bought the Ultimate license.

So is this true? I cant run a game for free license holders over a LAN? If so this is a pretty big issue for me, and I'd like to talk about perhaps a refund.

I feel like I should be clear, I'm not saying its a bad product at all, it is immensely powerful and thorough, I like it a lot, but this issue makes it virtually unusable for me.

Trenloe
August 18th, 2014, 19:42
The only time that the player client need access to the internet is immediately after they click "Start" on the "Join Game" screen - it connects to the GM, realises they are an ultimate license and pings the FG server to verify that the ultimate license key is valid. After that, there is no need for internet access from the players. They get the thumbs up from the FG server on the internet and that's all they need. Would you internet connection be OK just for that brief access the players need?

lowew79
August 18th, 2014, 21:45
So the program automatically switches back over to a LAN after the verification process? Or is there something I have to do to make it happen?

ddavison
August 18th, 2014, 21:56
So the program automatically switches back over to a LAN after the verification process? Or is there something I have to do to make it happen?

If you enter your local IP address into the Join Game address from each Demo client, it will use your local LAN. When they first connect, it will do a license check of your Ultimate key from your system to our server before allowing the Demo license to connect and have full Player access. After that brief verification, it will revert to a direct connection which remains inside your LAN.

lowew79
August 18th, 2014, 22:18
Oh! LOL, no issue then! Thanks a lot.

If you enter your local IP address into the Join Game address from each Demo client, it will use your local LAN. When they first connect, it will do a license check of your Ultimate key from your system to our server before allowing the Demo license to connect and have full Player access. After that brief verification, it will revert to a direct connection which remains inside your LAN.

damned
August 18th, 2014, 22:54
phew! welcome aboard - you scurvy yellow tailed sea dog.

dulux-oz
August 19th, 2014, 04:10
Meanwhile I was watching you tube tutorials, namely Mr. Dulux-oz, to try to continue to educate myself. During one of his videos, I heard some information that really messed me up.

He said that in the instance where the GM has an Ultimate license and the players all have free licenses, that the clients CANNOT connect via a LAN.

OK, now I'M confused - where did I say that? Which video, and at what time point please?

I've just gone over the scripts for the first couple of my Videos and I can't seem to locate such a statement - and I need to, because if its in there and if others are getting that information than I have to change it, because that's not the case.

So please, if you could let me know the Video and the Time Stamp that would be a big help.

And I hope you like the rest of the videos.

Cheers

Trenloe
August 19th, 2014, 04:35
What? You do videos?

;)

dulux-oz
August 19th, 2014, 04:42
What? You do videos?

;)

No.

No, I don't do videos.

I do magnificent works of audio-visual art that are both pleasing to the eye and to the ear and which are also fantastically informative and useful in learning.

So there!

Nhhhh!

:p

lowew79
August 19th, 2014, 05:09
OK, now I'M confused - where did I say that? Which video, and at what time point please?

I've just gone over the scripts for the first couple of my Videos and I can't seem to locate such a statement - and I need to, because if its in there and if others are getting that information than I have to change it, because that's not the case.

So please, if you could let me know the Video and the Time Stamp that would be a big help.

Cheers

OK you didn't say verbatim that a LAN couldn't be used, but you did say that in that case both the client and the host must be connected to the internet, which I took to mean that a constant internet connection must be maintained and a LAN wouldn't be sufficient. Perhaps it was my misunderstanding. I am moderately ADD and I may have been off in space right before you said that.

Anyway it is in your Tutorial 1 A 02 video at approximately 17:39 - 17:56

I remember it so well cause I was wanting to use the LAN switch thing you talked about, is that possible with the Ultimate-Free combo?