PDA

View Full Version : WFRP3 Adventure Modules - What's the story?

noelyuk
August 18th, 2014, 17:59
Hi All

What's the story with regards adventure modules? I've spent a bit of time recently creating a WFRP3 adventure module from An Eye to an Eye that is mostly complete. Having done so I was wondering whether there'd be a way of sharing in exchange for a mod that someone else has created. But since I don't see anyone else offering to share such mods I was wondering whether that's due to copyright issues. However I do know that there are adventure mods available such as A Day Late and a Shilling Short among others. But I also see there are no WFRP3 adventure mods in the FG shop.

So in summary. Can I share such a thing without breaching some copyright laws and if so where should I do that and does anyone have any WFRP3 items they'd like to share in return? And if it's not allowed then forget I said it.

Though I might like someone to take a look at it for me and check i've not made any glaring errors. ;)

Noely

Trenloe
August 18th, 2014, 18:15
Basically, you can't share and Fantasy Flight Games WFRP3 material as it is protected by copyright. You are fine making a module for your own personal use - i.e. your own game with your friends, but you can't share that with other people without breaking copyright.

There is no agreement at this time with FFG to create and sell WFRP3 adventure modules - hence why there is nothing in the FG shop.

As an FYI - the WFRP3 ruleset only exists because of the fact that base gaming system mechanics can't be covered by copyright laws (in the US). So, you can produce a FG ruleset that provides the mechanics to play the game, but you can't produce material that uses artwork, story, descriptive text, etc. unless that material is released with an Open Gaming License or Community Use Policy.

noelyuk
August 18th, 2014, 18:41
Thanks Trenloe

I thought as much. A shame really. Just interested in why i've already seen a couple of modules around already, such as A Day Late, A Shilling Short. Is that because they weren't written by Fantasy Flight or just that they're breaking copyright and noones pulled them up on it yet?

Trenloe
August 18th, 2014, 19:47
I thought as much. A shame really. Just interested in why i've already seen a couple of modules around already, such as A Day Late, A Shilling Short. Is that because they weren't written by Fantasy Flight or just that they're breaking copyright and noones pulled them up on it yet?
The latter - it is essentially breaking copyright but no one has stopped it.

The copyright statement at the end of the PDF is quite clear:

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the prior permission of the publishers.