PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Dimensions for desktop.png / Frame

damned
August 18th, 2014, 16:11
Im experimenting with larger images and frames for the desktop and decal but Im really struggling to identify the maximum image sizes and frame boundaries that I can use.
What would I ultimately like to achieve?
I have a very large map of old london and i would like to display as much as will fit in a typical screen size - without tiling.
It almost works on smallish screen sizes - eg below is approx 1200x800 but I would like to get t to work on screens up to 1920x1080 (bigger if possible).
The main image doesnt have to all show - i just dont want it tiling as its a map... its perfectly ok if half the map gets left off on a smaller screen. it doesnt matter if the map is centred or aligned along a particular edge etc.
I dont need a decal - i can have one if it helps. I seem to have better success setting the image as the middle rect rather than as the decal rect but I cant get it right.
The right rect doesnt even have to be there - but if it is it needs to be in the right place.
It looks like FG compares the screen ratio to the rect ratio and adjusts....

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/london-map.jpg

Blacky
August 19th, 2014, 12:25
It's 2000×2000 pixels (or 2048², can't remember which one) for the source image. In that image, you'll have to place each of your components (decal, top, left, etc.)

damned
August 19th, 2014, 14:55
hey Blacky you are correct. A google search of this site brought up your previous posts on this at the same time I saw you post here. I have gone with a very simple framedef of:

<framedef name="desktop">
<bitmap file="graphics/frames/london2048.jpg" />
<decal rect="0,1080,302,90" />
<middle rect="0,0,2048,1080" />
</framedef>

This is obviously missing the <right rect> which sits under the campaign buttons but for this wallpaper - and probably for the campaign buttons I will use it should be fine.
I of course do get tiling at screen resolutions over 1920 x 1080 but I can live with that.
I also used a JPG image which is significantly smaller than the png (less than 11%) but I lose the transparency for the decal.

Zeus
August 19th, 2014, 20:36
Yes, thats correct FG bitmaps are limited to 2048x2048 as a maximum size, anything larger gets scaled back.

damned
August 19th, 2014, 22:36
Some themes (very basic) on a 1600x900 desktop - sorry thats as high res as my screen goes.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/newthemes20140820.jpg

Blacky
August 20th, 2014, 06:04
For bigger screens than the frame allows (more and more commons nowadays), and using a big decal, there's basically two ways of handling this.

Either as a border around the decal. Or a fade out, clean or not (probably clean for SciFi type of things, unclean for the other ones) at the edges of the decal.

I probably got a few old examples laying around if needed.

Zeus, no it's no really scaled back. Previous experience in that area shows it create all sort of visual bugs, that appear random.

damned
August 20th, 2014, 06:25
these are clean up to 1920x1080 - well they go to about 2060x1100 but they will tile over that. they should tile ok left to right but not so much vertically.

Zeus
August 20th, 2014, 10:29
Zeus, no it's no really scaled back. Previous experience in that area shows it create all sort of visual bugs, that appear random.

Yes your right technically its not scaled back. Each bitmap when loaded, is checked for its dimensions, if width or height are larger than 2048 pixels, FG sets the dimensions to 2048px. That might explain some of visual bugs you get when you use a bitmap that exceeds either 2048px for its height or width.