PDA

View Full Version : D&D Basic Rules PDF Parser

valeros
August 8th, 2014, 07:31
Parses Monsters & Spells from D&D Basic Rules PDFs into modules (Players Rules v0.2, DM Rules v0.1, Hoard of the Dragon Queen Supplement, The Rise of Tiamat)

Important! If not using English then you must change your settings when you run this for it to work:
Control Panel -> Clock, Language & Regional settings -> Change format of numbers -> set it to English (U.S.)
(Thanks to kane280484 for this fix)

Still a few minor issues such as spells missing tables.

This application (which requires .Net 4.0) will:

1) Download Basic Rules from wizards.com (unless already selected or present)

2) Parse the files for Spells and Monsters

3) Create modules for Spells and Monsters

4) Attempt to move the modules to your FG modules directory (overwrites existing file)

5) Creates npcs.txt, spells.txt, backgrounds.txt, equipment.txt, tables.txt, races.txt, referencemanual.txt for use with Par5E

Xorn
August 8th, 2014, 09:17
Parse puts the first sentence from the spell description in Summary. That's what displays on the character sheet in "Summary" mode. The first sentence is typically a brief description of what the spell does. Source in Par5e is "cleric" or "wizard" currently, depending on which spell list it came from. Nice upload though--I'm battling Par5e trying to get it to kick out a spells module, so I'm happy using this at the moment!

viresanimi
August 8th, 2014, 09:22
Thanks! Par5e is like black tongue to me...

Vires Animi

Zeus
August 8th, 2014, 10:20
Nice tool Valeros.

As Xorn says, I use a source field (containing the class title) to populate the Spell Summary field. You can also now ignore Descriptors, this was left-over from play test material and is no longer used since BR was released.

As for PAR5E being difficult to use, can you guys elaborate a little? Is it the engine interface, the language used to markup source text or a combination of both thats proving to be challenging? In the case of Spells, the required markup is quite straightforward and consists of an index of each classes spells followed by a serialised copy of the pdf formatted spell descriptions? Granted, if you want to nicely format embedded tables etc. there's a little more work to do for those spells but in general the vast majority of spells parse as is.

If I can improve the tool to make it more user friendly, I'd be happy to but I first need some feedback as to what you guys would like to see improved.

viresanimi
August 8th, 2014, 15:45
Honestly, its been a while since I tried it, so remembering what didn't work is kinda hard. But I think I had no idea what I was supposed to do in the first place. I think I tried to do what this gentleman's program here does. You point at a file and it just does the work. But I don't think that is the case. And the following steps... eh... "mind melted".

Vires Animi

valeros
August 8th, 2014, 18:01
Updated to output "spells.txt" to use with Par5E, fix a couple bugs, and put components in Summary field for now since components do not seem to part of the displayed spell record.

Zeus
August 8th, 2014, 19:31
Updated to output "spells.txt" to use with Par5E, fix a couple bugs, and put components in Summary field for now since components do not seem to part of the displayed spell record.

Here's the structure being used by PAR5E for use with 5E (note you won't see some of the fields until JPG pushes the latest test build). If you mirror this Valeros, you will be set until Wizards release the PHB and we see whether the format has changed at all.

<aid>
<name type="string">Aid</name>
<description type="formattedtext">
<p>
<b>Your spell bolsters your allies with toughness and resolve.</b>Choose up to three creatures within range. Each target's hit point maximum and current hit points increase by 5 for the duration.</p>
<p>
<b>At Higher Levels.</b>When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, a target's hit points increase by an additional 5 for each slot level above 2nd.</p>
</description>
<level type="number">2</level>
<school type="string">Abjuration</school>
<source type="string">Cleric</source>
<castingtime type="string">1 action</castingtime>
<range type="string">30 feet</range>
<duration type="string">8 hours</duration>
<components type="string">V, S, M (a tiny strip of white cloth)</components>
</aid>

mattcolville
August 9th, 2014, 00:20
YAY! Thanks Valeros! Man, can I donate to this? I would.

Also, here's the PDF for Items and Monsters from the new hardcover adventure Horde of the Dragon Queen. Hint! Hint!

https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/HoardDragonQueen_Supplement1.pdf

This is official and free, FYI.

Trenloe
August 10th, 2014, 21:41
Please take questions and discussions about Par5E to the Par5E thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e

This thread is for Valeros's excellent took to create a spell module from the D&D Basic Rules PDF.

I've moved all Par5E related posts to the above thread. Thanks.

Unahim
August 21st, 2014, 14:19
Doesn't seem to be working for me. When I press the button I get an exception error with the following details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IAsyncStateMachin e' from assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
at PDFReader.Form1.ShowFileDialog()
at PDFReader.Form1.selectFileButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1022 (RTMGDR.030319-1000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
PDFReader
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/RPG%20Books/D%26D%20Next/Basic%20Rules%20Parser.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1002 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Trenloe
August 21st, 2014, 15:12
Doesn't seem to be working for me. When I press the button I get an exception error with the following details:
I'm guessing this is due to you not having the required .NET Framework to run the app. It looks like you have .NET Framework 4.0 installed, but the error is relating to a Framework 4.5. You might want to update to v4.5 and try again. Microsoft download here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=30653

valeros
August 23rd, 2014, 04:39
Updated to parse Spells & Monsters from Players Rules v0.2, DM Rules v0.1, Hoard of the Dragon Queen Supplement

May be a few formatting issues. Please let me know if you find issues with the output.

Thank you

mattcolville
August 23rd, 2014, 05:43
Yayay! Spells and Monsters! Man I think that's about all I need to start a 5E game, thanks Valeros!

hawkwind
August 23rd, 2014, 09:34
Really appreciate this, however Im getting an error message Exception: Empty path name is not legal.

valeros
August 23rd, 2014, 15:44
Im getting an error message Exception: Empty path name is not legal

Sorry about that. I believe I have fixed the issue. I posted a new version. Thanks

valeros
August 23rd, 2014, 22:03
Sorry, I found some big discrepancies with parsing the monsters. Please download the newest version if you are using this. It fixes a lot of issues. Sorry for the confusion.

Griogre
August 23rd, 2014, 23:32
Thanks for the tool, Valeros. :) I do have some, hopefully, constructive suggestions though:

1) An easy one, I suggest change your category name to something other than db. Maybe something like Basic D&D? Or 5E Basic DnD?

2) I'd also take the dashes out of the module names, ie 5E-Monster-BasicRules change to 5E Monsters Basic Rules.

3) This one would be a lot more work. If you are going to do a seperate monster manual then I suggest you make full use of the right pane of the library pop up to find and select subsets of monsters. Instead of just putting Monsters (227) in the right pane, instead populate the pane with links to every monster. In the link to each monster put:

a) the monster's name
b) the monster's Challenge Rating (CR)
c) the monster's type

I.E. the links for a few entries would be:

Acolyte CR 1/4 humanoid
Adult White Dragon CR 13 dragon
Bugbear CR 01 humanoid (goblinoid)

This would allow you to search for a monster by name, lock in a subset of CR 03 monsters, select all types of goblinoids, ect.

hawkwind
August 24th, 2014, 05:50
Still not working for me. I download the modules via the parser then nothing happens, no modules no error message. I have done a file search on *. Mod just to check that my none standard FG installation hasn't confused the parser.

valeros
August 24th, 2014, 06:50
Uploaded new version that allows you to set the module name, module category, database type, and icon. (No real error checking done on those yet, so program will crash if you enter bad names.)

valeros
August 24th, 2014, 06:54
Still not working for me. I download the modules via the parser then nothing happens, no modules no error message

1) Did you use the main parse button to download the files or did you download them individually using the "Download" buttons?
2) Did the PDFs download OK? If not, the program may fail. Try deleting the PDFs in case they are corrupt and use the main parse button only.
3) Do you have .Net 4.5?
4) Any files in the directory other than the executable and three PDFs?

valeros
August 24th, 2014, 06:55
1) An easy one, I suggest change your category name to something other than db. Maybe something like Basic D&D? Or 5E Basic DnD?

2) I'd also take the dashes out of the module names, ie 5E-Monster-BasicRules change to 5E Monsters Basic Rules.

Done. New version allows you to set the module name, category, database type, and icon. Thanks for the input.

hawkwind
August 24th, 2014, 07:29
1) Did you use the main parse button to download the files or did you download them individually using the "Download" buttons?
2) Did the PDFs download OK? If not, the program may fail. Try deleting the PDFs in case they are corrupt and use the main parse button only.
3) Do you have .Net 4.5?
4) Any files in the directory other than the executable and three PDFs?
Thanks that helped and thanks again for making your wonderful tool

however i noticed the parse still isn't working properly check out a swarm of rats, damage resistances and condition Immunities are missing

valeros
August 24th, 2014, 17:07
damage resistances and condition Immunities are missing

Thanks for the input. I was failing to output saving throws, vulnerabilities, resistances, and immunities to the mod file. Posted new version with fix. Thanks

hawkwind
August 24th, 2014, 21:32
Also the minus sign in the hit dice description isn't parsing properly. I don't think actually effects anything mechanically

JamesManhattan
August 30th, 2014, 19:57
Hey, this is really awesome. Is there anyway you could make it a bit more generic, in the sense that we could use the program on a txt file or on "extracted pages" of a pdf of the Player's Handbook, because there is a PDF of it out there now! In cyber-space. By cyberspace I mean [redacted - zeus]

gamerhawaii
August 30th, 2014, 20:32
Is there anyway you could make it a bit more generic, in the sense that we could use the program on a txt file or on "extracted pages" of a pdf of the Player's Handbook

I believe Par5e is exactly that.

valeros
September 1st, 2014, 20:28
minus sign in the hit dice description isn't parsing properly

Fixed. Thanks for the input.

valeros
September 1st, 2014, 20:36
Updated. Fixed one bug mentioned. Also, now creates npcs.txt, spells.txt, backgrounds.txt, equipment.txt, tables.txt, races.txt, and referencemanual.txt for use with Par5e. All Par5e text files are in an "input" directory.

Still not perfect. I am aware of a few items I have not fixed yet including (but not limited to):
1) Spells still do not have tables.
2) Some text missing from races. (But it seems it might be Par5e. Text is in the file.)
3) Reference Manual only parsed up to Spells.
4) A few formatting issues with reference manual (sometimes lines are combined.)
5) Waterborne Vehicles gives error in FG. (Based on Par5e thread, I believe that is the 5E ruleset, not the text.)
6) Legendary actions missing for monsters.

tables.txt only has Trinkets (and the background tables auto-generated by Par5e.) I did not notice any other rollable tables.

Treegreen
September 1st, 2014, 23:09
5) Waterborne Vehicles gives error in FG. (Based on Par5e thread, I believe that is the 5E ruleset, not the text.)
6) Legendary actions missing for monsters.

Those two, as I understand it, are both issues with the 5e ruleset. Legendary actions do appear to parse, but they just don't have a method of being displayed or used inside FG as of yet.

dberkompas
September 1st, 2014, 23:30
Just checked this out for the first time.

Wow

BoomerET

ballan4
September 3rd, 2014, 00:49
Wow, that was painless, now I just need to figure out how to use Par5e for the rest of it.

hawkwind
September 3rd, 2014, 21:26
I had a problem parsing the equipment, PAR5E doesn't like fractions and prefers decimals

JamesManhattan
September 5th, 2014, 04:31
Valeros, they released an update. All you have to do is change in your xslt transform to make <class>reference_npc</class> into <class>npc</class>. They just removed that reference_npc or something.

They also added a separate <legendaryactions> grouping just like <actions> and <reactions>

my transform for the index part looks like the below

<npcIndex>
<index>
<xsl:for-each select="root/Monster">
<xsl:element name="{translate(./Name,' ,:()/\+-','')}">
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>npc</class>
<recordname>npc.Descriptions.<xsl:value-of select="translate(./Name,' ,:()/\+-','')"/>@5E Monsters MM</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string"><xsl:value-of select="translate(./Name,',:()/\+-','')"/></name>
</xsl:element>
</xsl:for-each>
</index>
</npcIndex>

frogczar
September 9th, 2014, 14:00
What file do I have to modify to fix the reference_npc error mentioned above? What is xslt transform?

5tra7
September 14th, 2014, 22:42

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IAsyncStateMachin e' from assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
at PDFReader.Form1.ShowFileDialog()
at PDFReader.Form1.selectFileButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1022 (RTMGDR.030319-1000)
PDFReader
CodeBase: file:///C:/RPG%20Books/D%26D%20Next/Basic%20Rules%20Parser.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1002 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

Does the same thing with me. I tried it on two separate computers and installed .NET 4.5.2 on both of them.

Trenloe
September 15th, 2014, 00:43
Does the same thing with me. I tried it on two separate computers and installed .NET 4.5.2 on both of them.
What version is listed in the errors you're seeing? The post above lists "Version=4.0.0.0" which won't work.

5tra7
September 15th, 2014, 13:47
What version is listed in the errors you're seeing? The post above lists "Version=4.0.0.0" which won't work.
The funny thing is that the error lists version 4.0, but when I tried to install the 4.5 .NET version linked in this thread I got message that I already had that installed. Then I googled "4.5 .net" and found 4.5.2 that I installed but I still get the same error message when trying to parse.

Griogre
September 15th, 2014, 18:05
Did you try running Window's Update after the install? The install version is likely old.

5tra7
September 15th, 2014, 20:03
I now did the Window's update but the same problem still exists..

Trenloe
September 15th, 2014, 20:27
I now did the Window's update but the same problem still exists..
Do you have an option to uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 in Windows Control Panel -> Programs and Features? If so, try uninstalling that.

5tra7
September 16th, 2014, 06:36
Do you have an option to uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 in Windows Control Panel -> Programs and Features? If so, try uninstalling that.
I did not but then I used a .net tool to force reinstall it. Still no progress.. I now also tried it with a third pc running win7 instead of 8.1 and the same error pops up.

Mephiston
September 23rd, 2014, 20:07
Works great, thanks so much... now to start editing classes I guess :S

spoofer
September 24th, 2014, 15:01
This is probably already common knowledge, but I got hung up on this, so I thought I might share what I learned.

The outputted mod file called 5E Monsters no long opens in FG. To get it working again, remove the following from each of the entries and use PAR5E to recreate the mod file.

##;
Published in: Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Strike that. I was wrong. I have no idea why that file no longer works in the latest version.

Griogre
September 25th, 2014, 01:55
You could just use Par5e to rebuild the module, but it appears the windowreference

<class>reference_npc</class>

is no longer valid.

I just opened the db.xml file and mass changed <class>reference_npc</class> to <class>npc</class> and rebuilt the module by hand. It seems to work fine. If you want to try this I suggest backing up the db.xml file first as Mass Find and Replace is always a risky operation.

Also I'd suggest to Valeros that he add <locked type="number">1</locked> to each monster so they start padlocked and not accidentally editable in the library.

spoofer
September 25th, 2014, 01:57
Ohhh, thanks! That was it. Thanks for the simple fix.

Kevin

donkeyman
September 27th, 2014, 13:38
I am having the same problem, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'input' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper( String path, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
at DnDBasicRulesParser.Model..ctor(Logger logger)
at DnDBasicRulesParser.MainForm.MainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Mess age& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)

mscorlib
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
DnDBasicRulesParser
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/amirah/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp4_5E%20Basic%20Rules%20Parser%202014_0901.zip/5E%20Basic%20Rules%20Parser.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

damned
September 27th, 2014, 15:10
check prev. page - it looks like you are using the older 4.0 .Net and you need to use 4.5

donkeyman
September 27th, 2014, 16:29
I updated Net to 4.5, yet I still received the same message.

at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper( String path, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Mess age& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)

mscorlib
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
DnDBasicRulesParser
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/amirah/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp1_5E%20Basic%20Rules%20Parser%202014_0901%20(1 ).zip/5E%20Basic%20Rules%20Parser.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

Trenloe
September 27th, 2014, 17:30
Donkeyman have you uninstall .NET 4.0?

donkeyman
September 27th, 2014, 17:52
Donkeyman have you uninstall .NET 4.0?

Yes, I uninstalled it earlier.

Griogre
September 27th, 2014, 17:52
Also Donkeyman, where are you running the program from? Make sure you run the program from someplace like a folder in Documents.

valeros
September 27th, 2014, 19:08
Updated:
1) Changed "reference_npc" to "npc" so monsters should work again
2) Added lock to monsters and spells so entries are not editable by default
3) Removed most asynchronous code to allow compatibility back to .Net 4.0. Hopefully this will resolve the issue some people are having that appears to be .Net related. However, this means application is fairly unresponsive while parsing since nothing is being sent to background processes.

valeros
September 27th, 2014, 19:13
1) When is FG going to get at least the free stuff for 5E built-in so this tool is useless?
2) Is there any value in this tool outputting anything but files for Par5e since most people will probably just want to add to what is parsed? That is, any need for races, backgrounds, etc. to be auto-generated into modules file like spells and monsters are?

Trenloe
September 27th, 2014, 19:25
To the best of me knowledge there is currently nothing concrete on if/when FG would be able to include 5E reference material.

I think this tool is an excellent way of quickly and easily getting 5E info into FG. Any additional material you can add into the module generation from the Basic PDFs will be, IMHO, extremely valuable to a lot of users - especially people new to FG and/or 5E.

donkeyman
September 27th, 2014, 19:40
Also Donkeyman, where are you running the program from? Make sure you run the program from someplace like a folder in Documents.
That was the problem, thank you so much everyone. I have the spells but I am having a problem with monsters. Runtime Error Unable to create window with invalid class

Trenloe
September 27th, 2014, 20:13
I have the spells but I am having a problem with monsters. Runtime Error Unable to create window with invalid class
Download the latest version from post #1 (updated an hour ago - see post #52 above).

donkeyman
September 27th, 2014, 20:52
Download the latest version from post #1 (updated an hour ago - see post #52= above).

I got it up and running, thank you so much.

damned
October 3rd, 2014, 02:35
Off Topic but Important!

We have had a late GM cancellation for FG Con for a DnD 5e session of The Lost Mine of Phandelver with 5 bookings in place.
Any DnD5 DMs want to take over this session for us?
The game is scheduled at this time: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Lost+Mine+of+Phandelver&iso=20141018T19&ah=5
Any assistance from the community would be great.

Cabrones
October 4th, 2014, 18:22
any ideas? i have .net 4.5 installed and everything else. help would be welcome
i.imgur.com/PSPCd0H.jpg

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 02:06
I see that the Items and weapons are in there and I don't have them appearing. Instead of inputting them all I figured I would ask to see why they weren't showing up. THere is no error or anything.

Trenloe
October 7th, 2014, 02:34
I see that the Items and weapons are in there and I don't have them appearing. Instead of inputting them all I figured I would ask to see why they weren't showing up. THere is no error or anything.
See the instructions in post #1 of this thread. This application creates a spells and monsters module for direct use in Fantasy Grounds. It also creates .txt files for additional sections that are to be used with the PAR5E application to create your own module using that application: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 03:10
Spells and monsters all came through. Its only the weapons that are missing.

Trenloe
October 7th, 2014, 03:56
Spells and monsters all came through. Its only the weapons that are missing.
That is because this application generates *only* spells and monster modules.

Do you have the text (.txt) files generated in the input folder? There will be backgrounds.txt, equipment.txt, npcs,txt, races.txt, referencemanual.txt, spells.txt and tables.txt. These are all files that you can use in the separate PAR5E application (link in my previous post) not in the PDF Parser. The PDF Parser will not create Fantasy Grounds modules for these extra objects, you need to take the .txt files and load them into the PAR5E application.

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 04:30
OK my whole paragraph disappeared...... yes I have the equipment in the input folder. Yes I have all those in the input folders I have tokens and everything. ALthough I haven't tried races I didn't know there was a separate thing for that. I have already loaded them with the par5e app several times and keep rechecking to see if it works. It says in the little box its loaded. I restart nothing changes.

Trenloe
October 7th, 2014, 05:14
Weapons etc. open in the "Reference Manual" section of the module in the library. Click on your module name and then on "Reference Manual" in the right hand side to open a new window:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/5E%20Reference%20Manual.jpg

You can then navigate to weapons, etc. within this window.

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 06:00
That won't show up (The 5e test in picture). I don't have any of that. What it looks like I am missing is the 5E test part. This might be where the problem is. I have it downloaded so I must be missing some step. Sorry to keep asking questions.

valeros
October 7th, 2014, 06:45
You should have an Equipment section if you parsed all the txt files and selected equipment in Par5e.

(Also, sorry but I have not been able to work on this program to make more things automatically go into the modules or to finish more items such as classes and magic items.)

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 06:50
Lets start with this How do I make a 5E Test In a Library like that. Its all in the input folder but its not going anywhere. I am decent with puters but I understand why people get frustrated. =) I am more then happy to do this though to get it right.

Trenloe
October 7th, 2014, 07:10
Lets start with this How do I make a 5E Test In a Library like that. Its all in the input folder but its not going anywhere. I am decent with puters but I understand why people get frustrated. =) I am more then happy to do this though to get it right.
I'm confused as to if you've ran the PAR5E application? This is a completely different application to the PDF Parser you've used from this thread - download from the link in post #1 of this thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e

The "5E Test" you see in my screenshot is because I made a "5E Test" module from the PAR5E application.

If you have been using the PAR5E Application, please post a screenshot of the application showing the settings you are using.

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 07:26
I think I got it figured out there are 2 different things I have to download. So far I have only down loaded the 5E basic rules Parser. Learning the new one now. Although I might go to bed and do this fresh tomorrow. =)

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 07:54
Still can't get it. =/ I downloaded the new Par5e. At first it wasn't showing anything I opened those books back up and they let me in again. Still no equipment and such. Here is a screen shot of it.

7638 7639

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 08:04
Well as soon as I downloaded the Par5e file. I got a virus and a lot of my stuff was just erased off my computer. I had to reinstall firefox. I knew something was up when I couldn't get to my desktop for those 2 pictures. It erased every picture on my computer.

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 08:18
Yep just did a restore. EVERY picture every document that I have on the computer is gone. Even the Folders are gone.

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 08:53
OK was able to save my comic. Hadn't backed up my real life comic in the last 2 to 3 months. So I was worried all the data. Yes I have a real comic book. Needless to say EVERY picture when I did the Parse was removed. Documents, PDFs, and Folders were removed also (Folders) but not all of them looks like only the shortcut ones. Even the background was removed and that was just a standard windows one. I am just happy I was able to save my comic.

Griogre
October 7th, 2014, 10:18
Did you get your "virus" before or after running Par5e? I have a bad feeling you told Par5e your temporary folder was your user folder and it deleted it. Read the docs and set up an input and output directory inside a folder made just to hold your Par5e module and be careful with your Path information.

damned
October 7th, 2014, 11:34
Did you get your "virus" before or after running Par5e? I have a bad feeling you told Par5e your temporary folder was your user folder and it deleted it. Read the docs and set up an input and output directory inside a folder made just to hold your Par5e module and be careful with your Path information.

I know it says it in the instructions - but I really think that this should get changed...

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 15:07
I had it inside the folder. I just had a shortcut on my desktop. Other then a few things I don't download to many things. I keep pretty good care of my puter.

Griogre
October 7th, 2014, 18:50
I know it says it in the instructions - but I really think that this should get changed...
Yeah, I agree too. That's what data apps is for, or for multi-platform compatibility have Par5e auto make its temp folder so it can guarantee the directory contents being deleted are Par5e's. Zeus has said he'll put in some sanity checks on the next version, but I think not giving the user the option to screw themselves is the best one. :p

Or just not let the program run if the temp and output paths are not set, though I still favor an auto temp folder.

Griogre
October 7th, 2014, 19:04
@Manchine: I'm afraid if you run Par5e without setting your Path Information, all the paths currently default to your user directory. Make sure you set them before you run the utility and Parse. It really sounds like that's what happened to you.

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 21:03
@Manchine: I'm afraid if you run Par5e without setting your Path Information, all the paths currently default to your user directory. Make sure you set them before you run the utility and Parse. It really sounds like that's what happened to you.

I was thinking that might of happened but I am not total computer geeked out like I was when I younger. I don't know a lot of things about computer now a days. I can get around but I am not an expert any more. =) As long as my comic book stuff is saved I am good. (HEY PERFECT TIME TO PLUG MY SUPER HERO COMIC SITE. =) https://www.globaldefenseforce.com ). I reformated my computer trying to get everything updated back on it. Heck I haven't even downloaded Firefox yet this is still explorer. =)

spoofer
October 7th, 2014, 23:42
I did the exact same thing .... twice!!! It really does seem like a virus. It is strange the way so much is deleted and yet some directories are untouched. It only goes to show the value of having an external hard drive with a back up of everything. That saved my ***, twice! But I did lose my first round of parsing.

Manchine
October 7th, 2014, 23:46
I did the exact same thing .... twice!!! It really does seem like a virus. It is strange the way so much is deleted and yet some directories are untouched. It only goes to show the value of having an external hard drive with a back up of everything. That saved my ***, twice! But I did lose my first round of parsing.

I am glad I wasn't the only one. =)

spoofer
October 10th, 2014, 15:09
It is like it is part if the initiation process to becoming a real 5E parser. :D

El Condoro
October 10th, 2014, 22:21
I am thankful I am not a real PAR5E-er, then! :) I have never had any issues with it beyond the normal text file formatting headaches.

dberkompas
October 10th, 2014, 22:23
Even having to learn/play/test with this, it is hands-down a winner over typing this into FG itself.

Emerald_wind
October 11th, 2014, 03:51
agreed dberkompas!

Luxferre
October 13th, 2014, 02:05
Hello,

I've tried everything to run the Basic Rules Parser, but I couldn't succeed.
I have .NET 4.5 installed.
Would it be possible for the parsed files created by the application to be posted for downloading, please?

It would be much appreciated.

spoofer
October 13th, 2014, 02:24
Luxferre,

Welcome to FG. Unfortunately, it is not possible to share the mod files because although the information in the files is provided for free, it is still the property of Wizards of the Coast. Users of the information are prohibited from redistributing it to others. Everyone must go directly to the original source to get it.

If you explain in detail your problem, and maybe post an image of the error message, then community members will try to help you get it going.

Kevin

Luxferre
October 13th, 2014, 03:46
Kevin, thank you for the prompt response.

I have the same error as ilustrated by Cabrones, in post #59. I'm curious if he could solve the problem.

I use Microsoft Network 4.5.1 (portuguese), on a Windows 7 64-bit. I tried running the application from everywhere in the computer. I have downloaded the printer-friendly pdf files, and I let the application download them. Still no success.

Also, if I click "Select Thumbnail" and after that I cancel the "Open" window, the application shows also an error "path with invalid format".

Wilson

shemantis
October 28th, 2014, 19:56
Ooh, ooh, the Rise of Tiamat supplement just came out. Tried renaming it to see if this would read it, but couldn't get it to work. Any chance of including it? It has some magic items and whatnot.
https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/RiseTiamatSupplement_Printer.pdf

damned
October 29th, 2014, 02:37
shemantis you should be able to use the Par5e tool for this.

thomax
October 31st, 2014, 13:36
Is the PDF parser code available on github or similar? I'd like to write one in ruby which can run on any platform.

valeros
November 2nd, 2014, 21:29
Sorry, code not available. But it is just a specialized PDF parser, so use the PDF guide (PDF 32000-1:2008) from Adobe. It tells you exactly how to parse a PDF.

valeros
November 2nd, 2014, 21:36
Updated to parse monsters and spells from "The Rise of Tiamat". (shemantis, thanks for pointing out it was available.) Due to duplicates, the monsters now include "(HotDQ)" or "(RoT)" after the name to distinguish.

This update is the first little bit of time that I have been able to spend time on this parser in a while. So I apologize but other items like additional module formatting, Classes, tables in spells, the errors some people are getting, and legendary actions are not handled yet. If I have time in the future, I will try to fix. Thanks

shemantis
November 3rd, 2014, 00:36
Updated to parse monsters and spells from "The Rise of Tiamat". (shemantis, thanks for pointing out it was available.) Due to duplicates, the monsters now include "(HotDQ)" or "(RoT)" after the name to distinguish.

This update is the first little bit of time that I have been able to spend time on this parser in a while. So I apologize but other items like additional module formatting, Classes, tables in spells, the errors some people are getting, and legendary actions are not handled yet. If I have time in the future, I will try to fix. Thanks

Thanks for updating! I use PAR5E, but I'll gladly take anything that adds even a bit of simplicity to the data-entry that is campaign-managing, lol.

dberkompas
November 3rd, 2014, 01:57
There's a new version of the free DM Basic rules, v0.2

damned
November 3rd, 2014, 02:33
i think there will be another new version of Basic with the release of these:

Zacchaeus
December 5th, 2014, 19:31
Just to shout out that this is a sensationally awesome utility. I've just started using FG, specifically because I and my playing group are now separated geographically and the only way to play is over the ether. Even though all of the spells and Monsters are not in the downloadable PDF's this little tool has saved a huge amount of time. Just like in many other games I've played, some of you community guys are just amazing and deserve huge accolades for the work that you do. Many, many thanks for the efforts that you are putting in. A huge shout out also for the guys that have made videos on how to use FG; these have been massively valuable in getting to grips with the intricacies of the tool.

damned
December 6th, 2014, 00:05
Welcome Zacchaeus. Happy Gaming!

damned
December 20th, 2014, 02:54
To get yourself started with 5e and Fantasy Grounds - this tool is what you need.
You dont need all the extra hours and hours of Par5e.
Use this damn tool and get started!

FunkamusPrime
December 20th, 2014, 18:53
I know this is a newbie question, but after I create the modules with this... how do I then add new items to it? For example, I run this and it creates a module for all the spells included with the free basic version of the game. But one of my players has a spell from the Players Handbook (Mending). So she added it by hand to her character sheet, and I would like to move it (or copy it) into the module so that it can easily be shared with other players and future games (i.e. a different campaign in Fantasy Grounds).

How do I do this?

Thanks!

damned
December 20th, 2014, 22:48
its not so straight forward.
to actually add items to it you need to open it in a text editor and examine the code and add the new entries in.

another suggestion is once you start adding your own entries you can export the new monsters and spells to your own module (/export in chat window https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export). if you maintain this campaign you can update your export using the merge options.
This will result in a second (basic plus yours) source module for your new stuff.
this is the easiest method.

kane280484
December 30th, 2014, 00:48
Kevin, thank you for the prompt response.

I have the same error as ilustrated by Cabrones, in post #59. I'm curious if he could solve the problem.

I use Microsoft Network 4.5.1 (portuguese), on a Windows 7 64-bit. I tried running the application from everywhere in the computer. I have downloaded the printer-friendly pdf files, and I let the application download them. Still no success.

Also, if I click "Select Thumbnail" and after that I cancel the "Open" window, the application shows also an error "path with invalid format".

WilsonSame here, but with NET 4.5.1 (Polish). I installed NET 4.5.2. Disabled Antivirus software. N O T H I N G. :/

But I did some digging and it's normal that framework setting is displayed as 4.0, even if it's 4.5. So I guesss framework version is ok. Gotta check on my laptop tommorow if the problem persits there.

LATER: Checked at work - the same problem. At home I have Win7 Home Edition 64-bit, at work it's Win7 Professional, also x64. Gonna try with 32-bit version of Windows.

LATER: Fresh Win7 Pro 32bit with fresh NET 4.5, fully updated Windows, same result as always.

kael79
December 30th, 2014, 16:23
hi guys ,
i still have same problem than Kane. i tried to download each pdf then update with last version of .NET but nothing happened.
Always same mistake at start.
tried on W8 64bits and W7 64bits too.

************** Texte de l'exception **************
System.FormatException: Le format de la chaîne d'entrée est incorrect.
à System.Number.ParseDouble(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
à System.Double.Parse(String s, IFormatProvider provider)
à DnDBasicRulesParser.TextBlockParser.Parse(String textBlockString, Fonts fonts)
à DnDBasicRulesParser.PageTextBlocksParser.Parse(Str ing streamAsString, Fonts fonts)
à DnDBasicRulesParser.PageReader.ReadPage(Int32 pageObjectNumber)
à DnDBasicRulesParser.PDFReader.ReadPage(Int32 pageNumber)
à DnDBasicRulesParser.MonstersReader.ReadMonsterText Blocks(RulesFile rulesFile, Int32 firstPage, Int32 lastPage, String firstMonsterName)
à DnDBasicRulesParser.MonstersReader.ReaDMRulesMonst ers()
à DnDBasicRulesParser.MonstersReader.ReadAll()
à DnDBasicRulesParser.Model.ParseMonsters()
à DnDBasicRulesParser.Model.ProcessMonsters()
à DnDBasicRulesParser.Presenter.ProcessMonsters()
à DnDBasicRulesParser.Presenter.DownloadAndParse(Obj ect sender, EventArgs e)
à DnDBasicRulesParser.MainForm.parseButton_Click(Obj ect sender, EventArgs e)
à System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
à System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
à System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
à System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
à System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
à System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Assemblys chargés **************
mscorlib
Version de l'assembly*: 4.0.0.0
Version Win32*: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase*: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
DnDBasicRulesParser
Version de l'assembly*: 1.0.0.0
Version Win32*: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase*: file:///E:/JDR/5E%20Basic%20Rules%20Parser%202014_1102/5E%20Basic%20Rules%20Parser.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase*: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Version Win32*: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase*: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase*: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase*: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Version Win32*: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase*: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase*: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
mscorlib.resources
CodeBase*: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_fr_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll
System.Windows.Forms.resources
CodeBase*: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_fr_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

Sorry about French language in log.

kane280484
December 30th, 2014, 18:17
The French language you've mentioned led me to a solution. What do all these computers causing trouble have in common? Native language other than English - Polish in my case, French in your case, one guy had Portuguese version. Thus, they use other formats for numbers. I.e. number 1,024 in Poland we write 1024, without comma separator. A program was written by Valeros, who is, I guess, American or Australian, and used his native coding format. Not to mention all numbers in pdfs are coded in English format, i.e. XP 1,200.

I'm not sure how it looks in other language versions Windows, but I guess it's sth like this: go to Control Panel -> Clock, Language & Regional settings -> Change format of numbers -> set it to English (U.S.)

In my case it worked fine, and I am quite sure in your case it will work as well.

(I feel like I've rolled natural 20 on Intelligence check)

kael79
December 30th, 2014, 19:47
Thank you Kane280484 ! Great job !

valeros
December 30th, 2014, 20:13
Thanks kane290484! Awesome!

(I knew it had something to do with English, but had no idea what would fix it.)

roidesgobs
December 31st, 2014, 08:32
The French language you've mentioned led me to a solution. What do all these computers causing trouble have in common? Native language other than English - Polish in my case, French in your case, one guy had Portuguese version. Thus, they use other formats for numbers. I.e. number 1,024 in Poland we write 1024, without comma separator. A program was written by Valeros, who is, I guess, American or Australian, and used his native coding format. Not to mention all numbers in pdfs are coded in English format, i.e. XP 1,200.

I'm not sure how it looks in other language versions Windows, but I guess it's sth like this: go to Control Panel -> Clock, Language & Regional settings -> Change format of numbers -> set it to English (U.S.)

In my case it worked fine, and I am quite sure in your case it will work as well.

It finally works .
Thx you so so much Kane.
I'll create a special npc with an extra +3 on Intelligence during my next campaign !!! (what about his name ... Kane OverBrain ? )
Let me know XD

Rosie
January 4th, 2015, 02:05
This does not bring in the NPCs? I did find the monsters, but I was hoping to not have to put it all in by hand.

Trenloe
January 4th, 2015, 02:25
This does not bring in the NPCs? I did find the monsters, but I was hoping to not have to put it all in by hand.
Point 5 in the list in post #1 mentions that they aren't automatically created. Text files for use with PAR5E are created though, so you can use these with PAR5E to create your module.

HotwheelzMcG
January 5th, 2015, 09:33
tried running this on my mac using wine. Everything works great until its time to copy the files to the modules folder which it fails. any suggestions?

Update: found the original files it tried to copy buried in the content folders. Mac OS search cannot find them on its own. Had to manualy search for them so i could copy them to the correct folder.

HotwheelzMcG
January 5th, 2015, 10:58
Still cannot get the equipment to par5e. It gets stuck around blowgun needles. Cannot figure out what is the issue. Looked in the .txt file and everything seems legit.

GunnarGreybeard
January 5th, 2015, 19:03
Still cannot get the equipment to par5e. It gets stuck around blowgun needles. Cannot figure out what is the issue. Looked in the .txt file and everything seems legit.
Same here. I'll have to open the .txt and give it a look through but after I've had more sleep.

talmahera
January 6th, 2015, 08:09

Thank you very much, it works fine for me ! (on a French Windows). Great Job with this tool, it help a lot to set a new game with DD5 on FG!

Bonne année ! Happy new year ! Frohes neues Jahr ! Feliz año nuevo !

Mykul
January 7th, 2015, 01:47
When I tried to run the tool, I got the following. What should I do please? Is there documentation I am missing? I have .net framework 4.5.1.

mscorlib
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
DnDBasicRulesParser
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Michael%20K/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp1_5E%20Basic%20Rules%20Parser%202014_1102%20(1 ).zip/5E%20Basic%20Rules%20Parser.exe
System.Windows.Forms
System.Drawing
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

dberkompas
January 7th, 2015, 02:30
It's a folder/file permission judging from the error output.

Try installing the program to the root of your C drive. Also make sure you have the paths defined.

Griogre
January 8th, 2015, 19:12
Alternatively, you can put the exe in a folder in My Documents, but yes it looks like a permission error, like you put the exe in program files.

diego
January 11th, 2015, 04:27

Thank you! It works fine now!

It was always failing at the first (monters) file due to format errors.

WhyMonkey
January 31st, 2015, 06:07
Thanks for the clue HotwheelzMcG

"Still cannot get the equipment to par5e. It gets stuck around blowgun needles. Cannot figure out what is the issue. Looked in the .txt file and everything seems legit."

I replaced the "½" character on blowgun needles and the following line with ".5" and the file parsed completely. The weight shows up as 1 lb however. Not sure what " 1/2" would do.

damned
January 31st, 2015, 06:15
yes use either .5 or round down to the nearest whole number.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-4.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 04:29
Thank you. Hoping to figure this out, lol

damned
April 20th, 2015, 04:43
The basic Parser will just *work* (providing you have .net installed).
It also creates some base files for using with Par5e. Par5e is a little more complicated but using these files still easy.

If you get stuck - save yourself the hassle and get it for $3 in STore.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EDDBASICRULES

BradMcLeod
April 20th, 2015, 05:24
Yeah, figured that out. Really simple design, lol. Great start to making custom campaigns and stuff.

MrGoodbytes
May 24th, 2015, 14:10
Good morning everyone, I tried using the parser after trying out par5e to build my Basic Rules Module as practice. Everything ran great in par5e until I started trying to create the equipment.txt file. Each time I try to open the equipment entries I get a Script Error: [string "common/scripts/windowtitlebar.lua"]:18: attempt to index local 'nodeTitle' (a nil value) no matter what I do. Tried replacing the equipment.txt file with the one this parser created but I still get the same error. Any ideas? I'm Kind of stumped atm.

EDIT: Solved... I forgot to reparse! Derp.

Yrislov
December 11th, 2016, 01:19
I was wondering if this is what I need to use to add the other domains for the cleric class in 5e. It has the life domain but not the light or knowledge domain. I haven't checked yet but i'm assuming other classes are missing similar stuff as well. How do I go about adding these things as part of the class?

damned
December 11th, 2016, 01:29
Hi Yrislov and welcome. This isnt the tool you need - that is Par5e - however this tool can create a base file for you and you can edit the base file to add your extras in and then run it thru Par5e.

Yrislov
December 11th, 2016, 01:49
Thank you.

ok sounds complicated lol

I tried running the par5e tool but it was so small I couldn't read any of the text. I tried lowering my resolution to 1024 x 768 but that didn't seem to work. I'll have to read the tutorials and see if they help. Thank you for the quick reply.

damned
December 12th, 2016, 03:49
Hi Yrislov it should be quite readable at that resolution. It is impossible for me to read on my Surface 4 with 2736x1824 on a 12" screen - I dont think I could have read that when I was a kid! On my 1920x1080 17" laptop its quite ok.

SonOfCthae
July 3rd, 2017, 15:38
question from a noob..how exactly do I use this parser? none of the buttons seem to work....

Zacchaeus
July 3rd, 2017, 16:28
Hi SonofCthae, welcome to FG.

As far as I can remember you just download the file, unzip it and double click the resulting .exe file. The program then downloads the files and par5es them

Trenloe
July 3rd, 2017, 16:30
question from a noob..how exactly do I use this parser? none of the buttons seem to work....
Welcome to the forums.

Please provide a screenshot of the parser application, so we can see if it's not running correctly and provide guidance. Thanks.

LordEntrails
July 5th, 2017, 06:12
Given that the Basic Rules are now included is this needed anymore?

Zacchaeus
July 5th, 2017, 09:03
Given that the Basic Rules are now included is this needed anymore?

If you want the files so you can see how they are marked up for par5e, yes.

belkasro
September 19th, 2020, 19:00
Doss this work in FGU or not yet?

LordEntrails
September 19th, 2020, 19:12
Doss this work in FGU or not yet?
I don't believe anyone has tested it or used it in years. Over 3 years ago the Basic Rules started being included in FG, so other than coding purposes, this hasn't been needed since then.