PDA

View Full Version : Character Portraits...

Blackfoot
August 7th, 2014, 22:14
I'm considering selling personalized original character portraits.. would anyone in the community be interested in this sort of thing?

If so, what do you think folks would be willing to pay for a cool digital portrait complete with an FG portrait file to go along it.

Skellan
August 8th, 2014, 01:10
I would be interested in this. I don't know about cost. I guess it depends how long it takes you to do them.
Doing a token pack might also be an option?

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2014, 01:45
I would be interested in this. I don't know about cost. I guess it depends how long it takes you to do them.
Doing a token pack might also be an option?
I could do something generic.. but isn't it cooler to have a portrait of 'your' character?

Skellan
August 8th, 2014, 01:54
Yeah it would be better. Although there's lots of art out there, I rarely find one that matches my character.

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2014, 03:19
I just did these for my Gnome Necromancer and it got me thinking about it that other folks might think this sort of thing was cool too...
I could pretty easily do a 'Gnome Pack' :)

kwarner1986
August 8th, 2014, 23:22
I wouldn't mind becoming a client if you did this. Again it's all a matter of price. Just let me know what you feel is the right price and let me know what you need to create it.

lachancery
August 13th, 2014, 01:54
Hey, I'll be the first to jump in, and I'll do it in this thread to kick off your business! Send me an email with the cost, along with a Paypal account where I can send the money.

I have a PFS character I'd like a portrait for: Teian-Ragath, an Aasimar paladin (angelkin-blooded) of Ragathiel. Here is his backstory:

Teian was born from an arranged marriage between the daughter of a noble from Magnimar and an influential Hellknight sorcerer of the Order of the Gate. Having an Aasimar son in Cheliax was a disastrous curse for his father. After years of shielding Teian from bullies, scorn and increasing violence, his mother fled overnight with Teian back for her homeland.

In Magnimar, he drew the attention from a cult of the empyreal lord Ragathiel. As celestial blood could not be traced back in either of his parents, and the familiarity of Teian’s childhood to Ragathiel's, they deemed Teian an Omen of Ragathiel’s Will. The cult convinced the family to take over the care of Teian, rebirthing him Teian-Ragath, and indoctrinating him to become a Holy Warrior of the Faith.

Teian was later sent to join the Pathfinder Society and uphold the cause of the Silver Crusade and respond to the troubles at the Worldwound.

Teian has long, flowing dark hair, denoting his Cheliaxian ancestry; his hair and skin sparkle like silver metal under bright light, betraying his celestial heritage. When he uses his "Alter Self" power, usually before battle, he takes on the fiery looks of Ragathiel. Here are two mood shots:

I would like the token as a headshot with a similar angle as the token of Ragathiel. When playing with FG, I would switch the token when I transform into Ragathiel, but otherwise use the token you would draw. I like the art style on the cover pages of Paizo's product; if I had a suggested art direction, that would be it.

Do you need any more information?

Blackfoot
August 16th, 2014, 19:06
Lachancery, I'll talk to you directly about your needs... but I started this thread to feel out interest (which seems to be pretty limited at least in the FG PFS community) and to get a feel for what folks would be willing to pay since I could arbitrarily say $10, $50, $100, $500, or $1000... I have a vague idea of what my time might be .. and a notion of how much that is worth... but I'm interested in what generally people feel would be a reasonable amount to charge.

cmdisc
August 20th, 2014, 16:59
There may not be a huge market for it here, but I think this is an excellent idea. The question would be the pricing. Just my opinion, but I can't see spending more than a couple of dollars on a custom portrait or more than $10 on something like a 12-Portrait Pack (gnomes, dwarves, barbarians, etc). Whether this makes it worth your time or not, I don't know. I guess it depends on how much time you spend on making them. But again, they would be interesting to see even if the market isn't such that this is going to cover your rent. :)

Edit: And let me be clear that this isn't regarding the quality of your work. The sample you posted looks great. This is just a different animal all together from something my wife can hang on our wall. ;)

Blackfoot
August 21st, 2014, 02:19
Wow. A couple of dollars wouldn't be worth my time to upload a file let alone design, draw, color, and size something really cool.
Thanks for the input though... a collection of generic but cool images might have a broader group appeal rather than something custom. I was thinking that the custom portrait might be appealing to some community members who have some expendable income and aren't too concerned about buying things they really want. The guys who grumble about the $25 for a Lite FG license probably won't be interested. :)

lachancery
August 22nd, 2014, 03:21
Let's ask Jean tomorrow night; he had Thorgal custom-commissioned to an illustrator. He may have shopped around and be aware of typical pricing.

Blackfoot
August 22nd, 2014, 05:19
That sounds like a great idea. Thanks.