PDA

View Full Version : Alt Gr+letter shortcuts

radekg
August 4th, 2014, 08:58
Hello,
I want to make Fantasy Grounds more friendly to Polish players. I updated Fonts to include our specific letters but there is one issue that I'm unsure how to deal with.
To enter Polish specific characters we use Alt Gr+<letter> shortcut - this is natural for us and we do it without even thinking about it. For example "Alt Gr+z" prints 'ż' character. "Alt Gr" is also shortcut for Ctrl+Alt which is another way we can enter those letters (at least Fantasy Grounds does not make distinction). However in Fantasy Grounds Ctrl+Alt (and effectively Alt Gr) is bound to some shortcuts - for example "Alt Gr+z" acts like "Ctrl+z" (or so it seems).

Question is - can this be disabled or is there workaround?

All the best,
Radek.

damned
August 4th, 2014, 10:53
There is no support for the extended character set needed for these characters/letters....

radekg
August 4th, 2014, 12:01
There is no support for the extended character set needed for these characters/letters....

I don't think this is issue of "extended character set" - I can enter those characters "ąółźćńę" and even "ż" when I update font to include them. It just Alt Gr shortcuts do additional actions which is not desired. What is worse, if I write something and try not to use "extended characters" I often, in haste, press one of these combination and (i.e.) text is cleared. This is simply frustrating. So, I'm asking to disable those shortcuts - that's all. But I guess this is hardcoded in fantasy grounds application.

All the best,
Radek.

damned
August 4th, 2014, 12:20
Hey Radekg,
Im not familiar with your keyboard - I just told windows my KB was polish and using the right hand side Alt seemed to just work normally for me so I may have done something wrong.
You might need to see if a developer picks up on the thread.
What ruleset are you using? Does it do this in CoreRPG too?

radekg
August 4th, 2014, 12:35
Hey Radekg,
Im not familiar with your keyboard - I just told windows my KB was polish and using the right hand side Alt seemed to just work normally for me so I may have done something wrong.
You might need to see if a developer picks up on the thread.
What ruleset are you using? Does it do this in CoreRPG too?

Hello,
thanks for checking this out. Yes CoreRPG is also affected. "Alt Gr" is right Alt on the keyboard - maybe you used left one. If you change Windows keyboard you have to choose "Polish (programmer)" (or something like that) - pure "Polish (214)" is obsolete and nobody uses this. ;)
Also, you may try pressing Ctrl+Alt instead of "Alt Gr" as this is basically what Fantasy Grounds detects "Alt Gr" as. So instead of "Alt Gr+z" press "Ctrl+Alt+z" which is also alternative way to get "ż". :)

All the best,
Radek.

Blacky
August 4th, 2014, 13:02
I have a custom (Microsoft tool made) French keyboard, to be able to input things like æÆœŒ«»×¾–— and so on. It works the same way, Ctrl+Alt+x (or Alt Gr).

I found that some characters works inside FG in some areas, not in other areas, and some generate some weird behavior. There's no precise guidelines, and no support for this. Well, support isn't needed, FG isn't supposed to know or care about keyboards and drivers, that's the OS domain (although that's in theory, I still remember when FG didn't support keypad entries, meaning it does weird and wrong things with hardware input somewhere).

But your suggestion of keeping Ctrl+x and Ctrl+Alt+x different (as they should be) is probably a good one, it's quite probably the source of the weirdness I experienced.

If FG Next is far far away, it may be a good idea for JPG to look into that specifically (not the proper hardware input, I'm guessing it's full of old ugly code; but the Ctrl/Ctrl+Alt issue).

damned
August 4th, 2014, 13:30
Haha - I was using the Right Hand Alt - but I did also use the polish 214 keyboard :(

Moon Wizard
August 5th, 2014, 08:54
Fantasy Grounds uses a standard Windows function to determine whether the CTRL key is being held down when determining shortcuts (GetKeyState()). It sounds like your Windows and keyboard combination indicate that the Ctrl key is pressed when entering your special characters.

Currently, there is no way around this other than disabling it for everyone, and you would lose all the shortcut keys as well. Going forward, we are looking at moving to a Unity platform, which I'm guessing may resolve this, but I won't be sure until we get to implement. We'll try to keep an eye on this; but no immediate fix unfortunately.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
August 5th, 2014, 09:08
Just so you can put it on a list somewhere for Unity/FG Next: FG (including Core 3.0.6 no extension) is the only software I know of that activate Ctrl shortcuts when Alt is also pressed.

Simple test: Ctrl+Alt+A does not “select all” in any Windows program I tested it on (simply try it on Windows Explorer, or Notepad++ if you want to see the code). Yet it does on FG.

Moon Wizard
August 5th, 2014, 09:19
Good information. I might be able to use that information to address in a shorter cycle then.

Thanks,
JPG

damned
August 5th, 2014, 14:36
Hey Moon Wizard... will moving Fantasy Grounds to Unity render existing rulesets... useless?

Blacky
August 5th, 2014, 15:48
Doubtful, since it would meant a huge step back not that long after the 3.0 incompatibilities.

Moon Wizard
August 5th, 2014, 20:23
Planning to keep as much compatibility as we can, given what Unity can support and looking at Unity features.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2014, 03:09
Just pushed test release containing a patch to disable shortcut keys when Alt depressed.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21870

Cheers,
JPG

Blacky
August 15th, 2014, 01:31
Thanks a lot.

radekg
August 22nd, 2014, 08:59
Dear Moon Wizard,
this works very good and improves experience a lot.

Thank you!!!