PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and comments after the first game :)

Dershem
August 4th, 2014, 03:08
I I think the ruleset worked really well. there were a couple functions I'm not sure on, such as how to apply healing from a spell. or how to create powers like second wind. Everything else went really smooth with the exception of healing and applying effects. I think I screwed up somehow in that effects kept disappearing from the combat tracker.

Dershem
August 4th, 2014, 03:48
Oh and is there some way to create conditions or effects? I'm a bit blind sometimes on the search fu...

Dershem
August 4th, 2014, 05:03
Ok after some out of game experimentation I figured out the healing stuff and set it up, still trying to figure out how to do effects, I.e. Add 2 AC or ADD 5 AC... etc.

ShadeRaven
August 4th, 2014, 05:20
Effects can be a bit tricky, so you aren't alone there. Luckily, there's been a lot of helpful folks out here to get me through the learning curve. Let me see what I can do for you to pay-it-forward.

The main aspect of Effects starts with the add effect option to powers/spells (which you've obviously figured out). Depending on which version you use, you should be able to expand (magnifying glass) the effect you've set up to see the specifics of the field you are trying to add. Some key things to look for:

1) The duration. Probably obvious, but if you want something to last a while, it needs to have the necessary duration.
2) Expenditure. Never means that the effect won't go away until the DM removes it or the duration timer comes up. So a 10 round effect will last 10 rounds of combat, or until a rest is triggered, or the DM removes it individually from the combat tracker. If it's set to action or roll or per modifier, the effect will go away after the next application regardless of how long it's duration is. So watch out for that.
3) Targeting. Some effects are simple click-to-apply self-targeted effects, but if it's set to Target, then the effect needs to be drag-and-dropped or clicked with a target selected to see it applied.

After that, it's just a matter of learning what effects work and the various formats.

Let me know if you need more information than the above. I could get screen shot examples, etc., if this doesn't cover it. :)

SR

PS: So in your example, say Shield of Faith... you wanted to add 2 AC. It would look like this under your Add Effect:

Description: Shield of Faith (C);AC: +2
Duration: 10 MIN
Targeting: Targets
Expend? Never

This would set up a Shield of Faith on the selected target as a +2 AC bonus for 10 minutes, with the knowledge that the DM would need to remove the effect if the caster's concentration were to be broken - that's why I put the (C) indicator on the effect line.

To use it, the cleric would need to select a target then apply the effect (hit the little person image button) or click and drag the person button to the target of the spell.