PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Cartographer(s)

ShadeRaven
August 3rd, 2014, 16:24
I am working on a free module of professional quality that I'd like to make available over FGs (as well as elsewhere, in document form), but the Cartography needs of a high quality adventure module is far from my strong suit (and let's not even get into artwork). Recently, though, I've seen work by some talented folk out here like Torgaard and Irondrake that give me hope that maybe I could recruit someone else to come in and help with the project.

Obviously, all credit will be given as well as my great appreciation for anyone willing to take on the task. I have detailed information on each (as described in the module document itself) that will hopefully be more than enough to go on when it comes to designing the areas of need. I am more than happy to grant whatever creative license the contributor wants from there. :)

Right now, I have need for two starting maps:
1) A small village.
2) A dense forest.

So, please, anyone interested contact me and I'd love to give further details and information as to what these sites entail.

Thanks in advance!
SR

Valarian
August 3rd, 2014, 19:30
Cartographer's Guild .., many fine artists over there.

Sigurd
August 3rd, 2014, 20:04
Just be clear with your terms.

Is it going to be freely released?

Creative Commons?

Consider posting an outline, synopsis, and sample of your writing for the project.

You invest yourself in great images and need to see them treated right.

ShadeRaven
August 3rd, 2014, 23:05
I'll check out the Cartographers Guild. Great idea.

I wouldn't announce it here if this initial release wasn't free. To be honest, I am looking for someone willing to do some map work in the interest of promoting the launch of 5E that's of a quality worth putting attaching to my work. I could easily offer simple drawings or generic maps that'd work for purposes of using within Fantasy Grounds or as a basis for tabletop play, but I know there are talented folk out there who could do better than I, get some recognition for their efforts, and then discuss further projects down the line and what that might entail.

Obviously, anyone willing to consider contributing has the right to look over the details of the module itself (at least the portions related to the , for it'll be in there that they'll learn specifications of what's needed for each map, and decide against offering their services. :)

Irondrake
August 3rd, 2014, 23:28
Pretty sure my cartographic skills are in the beginner range. :) The Cartographer's Guild has many great artists that put out some top-notch stuff! I have one or two maps there, but again, I consider myself to be in the low-end of the beginner's realm.

ShadeRaven
August 3rd, 2014, 23:48
I was impressed with your map for Lost Mine! :) Better than any efforts I could make BY FAR at least (unless you count scanning and using what's in the book :P)

Irondrake
August 4th, 2014, 00:32
Well if you give me some details about what you're looking for in the maps, I might be able to help.

ShadeRaven
August 4th, 2014, 04:24
I'll give some of the module notes from the first of the two maps I am looking for below. If you were interested in creating a map for Kyrulh, you have whatever creative license you need so long as you do your best to include the details from the module to maintain consistency.

Not that this really gives away anything, but just in case, people who don't want to know more about the adventure than a DM would be giving them should stop reading here.

---------

Village of Kyrulh
The village of Kyrulh is a typical borderland town--quiet, fundamental, and self-sufficient (though it does rely a little on the occasional trade arrives along the merchant's route that runs through it). Including the residents of the outlying farms (those within 10 miles of the settlement), the population of Kyrulh typically hovers around 400 folk, most of whom are human (about 70%), though there's a modest number of elves (12%), dwarves (8%), and half-elves (5%) in the area, too. There is little opulence to their buildings, just practicality. Kyrulh has seen war and storm tear apart its foundation. It's seen famine and disease strike down the lifeblood that is its people. Yet the hard-working locals have always risen from the ashes and rebuilt, rebounded, and persevered. Outsiders have been known to laugh when describing those stubborn folk of Kyrulh saying, "they will teach a rock to sing and the rain to fall upward." For the Kyrulh resident, they consider it a compliment--they don't give up easily.

Places of note within Kyrulh are the inn (Hilltopper's Rest - a large structure that also has a spacious dining area and bar), smithy (The Ringing Shoe), herbalist's shop (Hazzle's Home), the market square, the temple (a simple building with a prayer alter, kneeling mats, and some symbols to the gods), the provisioner (All My Goods), and the village hall and holding (which is their meeting center but also holds a couple of small cells).

Other People of note (that may not be featured in the adventure but important) include:

Esder Roundwell: male human; owner of the inn; friendly and fair; tends to talk over people.
Zyn Earthtouched: male high elf; owner of the smithy and serving as town constable; cautious and careful; observant and patient; does not trust quickly but will judge fairly.
Umina Hazzle: female human; herbalist and head of the Hazzle's Home - a comfortable house that's now doubling as a remedies shop; no-nonsense and short on patience; prone to lecturing.
Father Qwinn: male human; Cleric 2; tends to the temple; occasionally tends to the truly sick or severely injured for a price; lives in a small cottage outside of town and keeps to himself primarily; abrasive and easily angered.
Lur and Lusi Pigwhistle: half-elf twins (Lur's male, Lusi female); operate the provisioner; inseparable; friendly and talkative, but very secretive about themselves; little is known about them other than that they showed up (with claims to the shop) a few weeks after the original proprietor of All My Goods unexpectedly passed away.

There is plenty of room to for expansion for any DM that wishes to do so. Other places of note include a horse trader (a large farm on the outskirts of town), a small lumbermill (harvests wood from small copses and its own tree farming - does not touch the Forest of Long Shadows), some wealthier farmsteads (which all tend to be on the west side, further from the heavy woods), and Shedder's Creek which enters from the east (coming out of the forest), passes through the mill, and meanders its way through town as it heads west towards the sea.

Irondrake
August 4th, 2014, 23:46
So what is the scale of the village map you're looking for? DM's Overview? Battlemap? Something in between? Are you looking for overhead (top-down) view? Something isometric?

ShadeRaven
August 5th, 2014, 07:56
Hey, Iron... Ideally, I'd like to see something similar to the layout for Phandalin (from Lost Mines, page 17). Granted, that's a beautiful, professional piece and I'd be happy with more than stick-figure boxes as that's my standard, but that's sort of the ideal.

ShadeRaven
August 6th, 2014, 14:28
Update: Almost ready to detail the third major cartographic need for the adventure. I am 18 pages and 9000 words into this project, but still a ways off from playtesting and final release.