PDA

View Full Version : OSRIC conversion into core

rbeard101
August 1st, 2014, 18:04
Is anyone looking at moving OSRIC into the 3.0 format based off of core? Is there any interest in such an animal?

dr_venture
August 1st, 2014, 18:41
I had been wondering the same - seems like a natural fit.

damned
August 2nd, 2014, 00:59
Have you looked at Castles&Crusades?
Ok - its not OSRIC and it deviates from OSRIC in a number of areas but it is a fantastic old school ruleset and is super functional and as it is a fully licensed product and has a full conversion done of the PHB all for $10 - you really cant go wrong.

ballan4
August 3rd, 2014, 22:21
I second that Damned! It's a fantastic rule set. It plays well and is very fluid.

JohnD
August 4th, 2014, 01:22
3rded.

S Ferguson
August 4th, 2014, 20:55
Make that 4th'd.

leozelig
August 5th, 2014, 02:17
I don't think it's going to happen unless someone else decides to adopt it. I would go with C&C as well.

jshauber
August 21st, 2014, 21:10
There is a group of us that have recently taken a look at OSRIC for our old school gaming. We found a few bugs and would like to know how to fix them or if there is someone that can help fix them. Things like the Magic User saves are wrong when you hit the button to "Set save and to hit score". The THACO is correct and all other classes saves are correct, just not Magic User.

Also, we noticed that at certain times on some character sheets (especially if multi-classing) the THACO numbers bounced between a couple of values.

There are a few other small things that we can work around without much problem or address when we get those fixed.

Not computer programmers by any stretch of the imagination but motivated to help if someone can give some guidance. We have no idea what it would take to build OSRIC on the CORE RPG base, but more than willing to help with data entry and testing.

I am learning some XML so at some point we will build modules for weapons/spells/etc.

Just need someone willing to give us a little help.

AND YES, I know C&C is out there (I actually play in a C&C campaign) but that is not what we are wanting, we want OSRIC.

rule of three
August 23rd, 2014, 13:23
I'm very surprised about MU's saves... You can look at them : there are in the .lua file named Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\OSRIC\scripts\oldschoolreferences.lua

What values are wrong ? They seem correct for OSRIC...

I'm currently working on a brand new ruleset for old school gaming. It will be comptabile with OSRIC, Ad&d, D&d and the retro clones. Ascending or descending will be an option for example. It's still a work in progress because my first OSRIC ruleset was really messy...:)

damned
August 23rd, 2014, 13:53
Awesome stuff rule of three! You'll make a lot of people happy :)

jshauber
August 24th, 2014, 23:09
I'm very surprised about MU's saves... You can look at them : there are in the .lua file named Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\OSRIC\scripts\oldschoolreferences.lua

I'm currently working on a brand new ruleset for old school gaming. It will be comptabile with OSRIC, Ad&d, D&d and the retro clones. Ascending or descending will be an option for example. It's still a work in progress because my first OSRIC ruleset was really messy...:)

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at the file and try the character sheet again.

rbeard101
August 29th, 2014, 17:02

Excellent! Is there anything I can help with?

favashi
September 2nd, 2014, 08:56

That would be great!

I'm willing to try!

xKrisx
April 11th, 2015, 23:02
AND YES, I know C&C is out there (I actually play in a C&C campaign) but that is not what we are wanting, we want OSRIC.

I agree.

Now that Smiteworks have the ability to sell 5E content, do you think there would be any chance of them doing older versions of D&D? I for one would play 2nd Edition D&D again. Everyone says this about C&C, and you guys are right with C&C, it is a pretty awesome game and take on old school (I've bought into it), but it's not D&D. There is a ton of content and adventures in the other versions of D&D just lost and forgotten. Different settings, more than there is today. Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Al-Qadim. Still a lot of fun. I think it is kind of sad it hasn't been worked on as much in the community. And I think a lot of people still play Old school 2nd edition. I don't know, just seems like a waste.

dr_venture
April 12th, 2015, 00:05
Now that Smiteworks have the ability to sell 5E content, do you think there would be any chance of them doing older versions of D&D?

As a big C&C fan, I wholeheartedly agree... in some ways C&C and earlier versions of D&D are very close, but they just aren't the same things. Heck, I have an AD&D 1e campaign I've played in since 1985 (having our 30 year celebration this summer), and I don't think the DM would even switch to OSRIC... it's gotta be AD&D 1e, or nothing. I wish FG could fill that role. I believe there was at one point an eye towards the possibility of doing something with earlier versions of D&D, but the focus was understandably on 5e. Now that that is in the bag, maybe we'll see some movement on this front? If I knew somebody was digging into the ruleset, I'd probably jump in to converting at least the MM, if not perhaps other books, too. Any word on this, Mr. Davidson?

damned
April 12th, 2015, 06:39
I think there would need to be a proven market for SmiteWorks to do a full on ruleset build.
I have seen just as much chatter about a 2E ruleset as I have for a 1E ruleset so that would also factor.

How much Combat Tracker <-> Character Sheet integration/interaction would matter too.
Adding in the ability to handle effects really ups the complexity.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

xKrisx
April 13th, 2015, 05:49
Well, I honestly think there would be a market. Everyone who plays C&C... It's the main reason a lot of people are steered towards it is because there are no AD&D 1E or 2E options. Good ones. I really think it should be looked at more. Maybe a poll or some kind of official revamp on at least the rule set and way of imputing things in.

When I use the 2e rule set I can't even get characters into the combat tracker for example. Or yet to figure it out. I'd just like to see more. Hopefully in time with enough pleading from the community.

GunnarGreybeard
April 13th, 2015, 08:40
Its been like a 100 years since I last played 1e, OK not that long but its been a really long time and I never played 2e. Are those 2 versions really that much different? Wouldn't a thorough 2e ruleset cover 1e, you just ignore that 2e character parts?

damned
April 13th, 2015, 11:11
Its been like a 100 years since I last played 1e, OK not that long but its been a really long time and I never played 2e. Are those 2 versions really that much different? Wouldn't a thorough 2e ruleset cover 1e, you just ignore that 2e character parts?

If you are happy to overlook the differences you may as well just stick with C&C!

xKrisx at a guess... from a commercial PoV Smitewoks might spend 100 hours on a reasonable 1E ruleset.... That is the framework only - not the conversion of PHB, MM, DMG etc. And at that point this is still not that saleable a product.... Id like to see it but I think it will depend on a lot of things including how many new players 5e brings in.
I would like to see more Basic rulesets - rulesets without all the Bells&Whistles of 3.5/4/5e/PF. Functional Character Sheet, Targeting and Combat Resolution in the Combat Tracker.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

leozelig
April 14th, 2015, 12:46
I am guessing that an extension would probably fix C&C for AD&D. I am not that familiar with C&C, but changing the AC calculation (as simple as changing the operator from plus to minus?) and creating a separate section for saving throws would probably be a good start. Of course, you would still have to pay for C&C to run the extension which is less-than-ideal.

I agree with damned. More rulesets that cover basic needs would be nice. I am slowly dissecting the C&C ruleset in hopes of building a DCC RPG ruleset. It would not be hard to create one for AD&D after that, but it will probably take me awhile for me to reduce it to a simple, functioning ruleset.

xKrisx
April 14th, 2015, 14:19
Damned
I don't really want to overlok C&C But options are good. I'm guessing 5e will bring in a fair bit of people over time and people who are into 2e, or would play 2e if there was a working polished rule set. I know nothing about coding in FG but I want to learn. The FG Unity client is going to come out soonish I believe so maybe it'll be looked at more then.

Leo
I hope it goes well and you can get something going, that would be great. Keep me informed if you would please. I'd like to hear how it's going. :)

damned
April 14th, 2015, 14:30
Damned
I don't really want to overlok C&C But options are good. I'm guessing 5e will bring in a fair bit of people over time and people who are into 2e, or would play 2e if there was a working polished rule set. I know nothing about coding in FG but I want to learn. The FG Unity client is going to come out soonish I believe so maybe it'll be looked at more then.

Leo
I hope it goes well and you can get something going, that would be great. Keep me informed if you would please. I'd like to hear how it's going. :)

SmiteWorks are aiming to fully support the existing rulesets and ruleset coding languages under Unity. Unity will provide a better multi-threaded applictaion, with the ability to build a native app for more platforms other than windows, a better networking and graphics engine etc. It wont drastically change FG from a users perspective. At least thats what we are hearing at this time.

leozelig
April 14th, 2015, 23:03
I created a ruleset called ADD probably 6 years ago now, but it was horribly buggy. I never got the combat tracker to work, but I didn't really know what I was doing. It is recognizable by the last tab on the character sheet being unlabeled - if you see that, run away! :)

I think someone else cleaned it up a little, but it was very broken. Then I discovered the OSRIC ruleset and ran AD&D 1e games for a couple years before it became abandonware. Of course, I understand how brutal it must be to bug test your ruleset every time FG is updated, so I am not trying to criticize the OSRIC creator at all.

Hawker73
October 15th, 2016, 06:30

Still working on this?

Daleus
October 16th, 2016, 15:30
I know this could be anathema to what Smiteworks AND Wizards envision in their respective business models.

I think a lot more people would be creating rulesets and modules and what have you, if there was a solid Creator's Guide for designing specifically in Fantasy Grounds. I live in the country, my gaming buddies are far flung now and Fantasy Grounds holds such promise for giving gamers like me the agency required to continue to enjoy this beloved hobby.

I'd be thrilled to find a set of documents that contained guidelines for converting modules, critters charsheets etc. etc, in both directions along the version tree. After playing for 40 years, I have a large investment in paper-bound modules, books etc. mostly 1st and 2nd Edition, that I can't afford to repurchase in a new format paper-bound or digital. At least I could cobble together something usable.

Similarly, since I started selling body parts to finance my DTRPG addiction as well as my Bundle of Holding addiction, Patreon addiction and of course Kickstarter addiction, I have all sorts of newer gaming material that is full of cool ideas.

I'd like to be able to convert this newer material (much of it only available for newer rules) to those older rules with which I am more familiar. I stopped buying DnD books after 2nd ed because I didn't particularly enjoy what came afterward and I won't be paying 60 bucks each for the latest greatest core books.

I can't remember what my point was when I started typing.....lol. I'm not complaining but like many others I wish it was easier to do more with FG.

As you were.....

damned
October 16th, 2016, 22:10
Hi Daleus its not at anathema to what SmiteWorks at least want.
The vast majority of the coding that goes into rulesets, modules etc is pretty open.
The tools to make this stuff really dont exist - this stuff is either (rulesets) coded in your favourite code editor and modules are either done by a) in FG and exported b) by hand after getting familiar with the XML c) using Par5e or its Savage World equiivalents.
Making content is pretty straight forward.
Making rulesets is pretty involved. First you have to have some coding ability or the ability to learn and read code. Then RPG logic is pretty freaking challenging to convert to computer logic. Most RPG systems have a whole slew of exceptions and exceptions to exceptions. Things that our human brain can calculate at a glance require a lot of code and a lot of intertwined code and inter-dependencies. Have a look at MoreCore for 3.2.0 in a couple of weeks for an exhanced CoreRPG/Generic ruleset which adds quite a few more options to the table for unsupported games.

Daleus
October 22nd, 2016, 20:12
Hi damned,

So, given all that, is there a development kit of some sort? I haven't really looked for one yet so if I missed an obvious thing, my apologies. I also understand that it's not your job to teach me programming ;) Not a problem. I am not much of a coder but retirement is coming up and I suspect I'll have the time to get further into it.

I've been watching the C&C discussions with great interest as I have some of the books. I hadn't considered it as a substitute for my beloved 1e ad&d, but now I have renewed interest.

I currently use Core and intend to look into MoreCore (?).

Thanks for your reply and my apologies if I sounded ungrateful for the excellent product Smiteworks has created. Back in the day when my gaming group was moving to different cities and jobs, we tried to do the tabletop experience with Neverwinter Nights and that didn't work out so well. FG is exactly the sort of thing we were looking for back then. I have great hopes that with some work on my part I can some or all of the old group back into the fold once again.

Cheers!

damned
October 23rd, 2016, 00:52
Hi Daleus the most common tool that those (who dont have a specific programming tool already use) is Notepad++
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.1.html
You can also add extensions to it for XML and I think LUA - these are not required buy help with highlighting start and end tags and other similar things.

Trenloe
October 27th, 2016, 02:59
Some pointers on modifying a ruleset here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19033-Modifying-the-3-5e-PFRPG-ruleset It's related to 3.5e/PF but is completely relevant to other rulesets that are layered on top of CoreRPG.

Similar thread for CoreRPG here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset