PDA

View Full Version : Bestiary 3- Group effort to produce PFRPG module with spells.

RTFallen
July 31st, 2014, 19:17
MODERATOR:

The posts below have been moved from another thread to one specific for this topic.

In order to produce a FG module for the Pathfinder Bestiary 3 OGL content that includes spell entries, I am putting out a call for community members to help out copy/pasting the text from a Paizo Bestiary 3 PDF into a text file - do not use non-Paizo PDFs as the OCR isn't usually 100% correct and results in errors. You could use the PRD entries, but make sure you produce a text file in ANSI format that doesn't have any strange characters and remove all blank lines within an individual creature statblock. We are splitting the process up into letter portions (A-Z) to reduce the workload overall. I will then combine and run through the creature parser to produce a Bestiary 3 module that I will post in the modules thread on this forum for all to use and enjoy.

If interested community members would like to help out, reply to this thread with the letter/s section you would like to cover.

The following is a list of who is doing which section, with a status.

Letter Range
Who?
Status

A - D
RTFallen
Done.

E-G
hangarflying
Done.

H-M
darrenan
Done

N-S
RTFallen
Done.

T - Z
darrenan
Done.

Module Download: PF-SRD-Bestiary-3.zip (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7184&d=1407033832)

Attached is the end text document used to produce the FG module using the PFRPG Creature Parser v2.0.0.8.

------------------------------------------

People contributing would need to use the latest Paizo PDF - so that the copy/paste works as closely as possible.

Would copying from the PRD work as well?

Resire

Trenloe
July 31st, 2014, 19:41
Would copying from the PRD work as well?

Resire
It's harder as the formatting doesn't come across the same. The parser was specifically written to allow direct copy/paste from the Paizo PDFs.

This doesn't mean that you can't use the PRD - but it would require further formatting to be done to make it work, which might end up with it not saving me any time if I had to reformat entries.

darrenan
July 31st, 2014, 19:44
I'll help. Just picked up a copy of the PDF. I can probably find some time this weekend to work on it. I'll tentatively take the U-Z range.

RTFallen
July 31st, 2014, 20:07
It's harder as the formatting doesn't come across the same. The parser was specifically written to allow direct copy/paste from the Paizo PDFs.

This doesn't mean that you can't use the PRD - but it would require further formatting to be done to make it work, which might end up with it not saving me any time if I had to reformat entries.

I'll see what I can do. I have the test file you gave out for the Bestiary 4 community effort, so I'll check formatting off of that.

I'll take A-D.

Resire

Trenloe
July 31st, 2014, 20:45
I'll see what I can do. I have the test file you gave out for the Bestiary 4 community effort, so I'll check formatting off of that.
Cool.

One of the big gotchas is to make sure you're using ANSI characters, not UTF-8 in the text document. If you paste into Notepad++, select Encoding -> ANSI before you paste. And, of course, removing all the blank lines after pasting. There should only be blank lines between individual creatures.

hangarflying
July 31st, 2014, 22:27
I'll help. Let me know what letter range you want me to do.

Trenloe
July 31st, 2014, 22:45
I'll help. Let me know what letter range you want me to do.
Great, thanks. How about E-G?

hangarflying
August 1st, 2014, 01:18
E-G, Roger! Is there a requested deadline, or just as soon as I can get it done? I should be able to get started on it tomorrow.

Trenloe
August 1st, 2014, 01:24
E-G, Roger! Is there a requested deadline, or just as soon as I can get it done? I should be able to get started on it tomorrow.
Within the next week or so should be fine - we don't even have all of the letters covered yet and there's been a Bestiary 3 module around for a while, so it's not super urgent but would be nice to get done...

darrenan
August 1st, 2014, 03:39
There aren't any U's, I'm doing T-Z.

RTFallen
August 1st, 2014, 05:15
Ran it through the 2.0.0.1 version of the Creature Parser to check it. It's burying entries within other entries... Maybe a formatting error somewhere that I can't find.

Error in log:
Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: Argument 'Start' must be greater than zero.

Resire

Trenloe
August 1st, 2014, 06:21
Ran it through the 2.0.0.1 version of the Creature Parser to check it. It's burying entries within other entries... Maybe a formatting error somewhere that I can't find.

Error in log:
Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: Argument 'Start' must be greater than zero.

Resire
Thanks. The error was caused by the Sky Imperial Dragon (Ancient) statblock having "caster level" instead of "CL" for the spells known section. I've never seen that before - obviously a one-off error on Paizo's behalf.

darrenan
August 1st, 2014, 08:32
T-Z done, I'll do H-M next.

Trenloe
August 1st, 2014, 16:02
T-Z done, I'll do H-M next.

Thanks. Awesome that you've put all of the additional details in the EXTRA FORMATTED DATA section. :)

Unfortunately, the others aren't doing that. To be fair, they weren't asked to! ;) Please continue to do so if you can. Thanks!

Trenloe
August 1st, 2014, 16:07
Additionally, please do the following to the beginning of each statblock:

Remove the initial creature name - the first entry should be the description.
On the CR line, please change the name from all capitals to first letter capitals. e.g. RED DRAGON -> Red Dragon.

e.g.:

Tophet
A distended metal maw filled with blunt, sculpted teeth stretches
across the upper portion of this rotund iron effigy.
TOPHET CR 10
Should be:

Tophet CR 10
Thanks.

RTFallen
August 1st, 2014, 17:02
Taking N-S to finish it out.

Resire

darrenan
August 1st, 2014, 18:14
Sure thing. You want me to update the T-Z one I already posted as well?

Additionally, please do the following to the beginning of each statblock:

Remove the initial creature name - the first entry should be the description.
On the CR line, please change the name from all capitals to first letter capitals. e.g. RED DRAGON -> Red Dragon.

e.g.:

Tophet
TOPHET CR 10
Should be:

Tophet CR 10
Thanks.

Trenloe
August 1st, 2014, 18:26
Sure thing. You want me to update the T-Z one I already posted as well?

If you could that would be awesome. Thanks.

hangarflying
August 1st, 2014, 19:10
Thanks. Awesome that you've put all of the additional details in the EXTRA FORMATTED DATA section. :)

Unfortunately, the others aren't doing that. To be fair, they weren't asked to! ;) Please continue to do so if you can. Thanks!

For my purposes, can you clarify what it is here that you want, so I can be sure that it is included.

darrenan
August 1st, 2014, 19:17
The process should look roughly like this, per monster:
1. Copy the entire page (except for the initial monster name), including the short description at the top, and the flavor description following the stat block.
2. Insert an "EXTRA FORMATTED DATA" line (make sure it's on its own line) between the end of the stat block and the flavor description.
3. Change the monster name on the CR line to be mixed-case instead of all-upper.
4. Format the flavor description text by surrounding each paragraph with <p> or <h>, and using <b>, <i>, <u> as necessary to simulate the formatting in the PDF.

And obviously run the whole thing through the creature parser and fix any errors before uploading it here.

hangarflying
August 1st, 2014, 19:33
1. Copy the entire page (except for the initial monster name), including the short description at the top, and the flavor description following the stat block.
2. Insert an "EXTRA FORMATTED DATA" line (make sure it's on its own line) between the end of the stat block and the flavor description.
3. Change the monster name on the CR line to be mixed-case instead of all-upper.
4. Format the flavor description text by surrounding each paragraph with <p> or <h>, and using <b>, <i>, <u> as necessary to simulate the formatting in the PDF.

And obviously run the whole thing through the creature parser and fix any errors before uploading it here.

For formatting, do I need the closing, i.e. <p></p> or just <p><p>.

hangarflying
August 1st, 2014, 19:51
What about the templates or "creating a xxx creature" stuff?

Trenloe
August 1st, 2014, 19:52
The text has to properly formatted FG formatted "XML" - so you will need to close all tags that are opened.

See the example at the bottom of post #2: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version&p=169001&viewfull=1#post169001

Trenloe
August 1st, 2014, 19:53
What about the templates or "creating a xxx creature" stuff?
It would be nice to have as much as possible. But, just do what you want to do. That may result in a "lop-sided" module though...

hangarflying
August 1st, 2014, 20:09
Thanks! One last question. Looking at the Fey Creature entry, how would you recommend I format the table for HD/Special Abilities found on page 117?

darrenan
August 1st, 2014, 20:36
Create a table using <table></table>, <tr></tr>, and <td></td> tags.

darrenan
August 1st, 2014, 20:37
Sorry, left the closing tags out for brevity, but yes you need both open and closing tags.

darrenan
August 1st, 2014, 20:40
The only part I'm not doing, is if there's a group of creatures (Thriae for instance) that have a detailed description page preceding the all the monsters in that group. Trenloe could maybe figure out a way to work those into the final module, but they definitely won't run through the creature parser. Other than that, I'm trying to include everything for each specific monster.

It would be nice to have as much as possible. But, just do what you want to do. That may result in a "lop-sided" module though...

Trenloe
August 1st, 2014, 20:42
Full list of supported tags here in the "internal representation" section: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/formattedtextcontrol.xcp

The <h> (header) <table> and <list> tags are good ones to format the text nicely.

For example, here is the end result for the Aasimar from Bestiary 1 (code in post #2 of the parser thread):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Aasimar%20Other%20Tab%202.JPG

RTFallen
August 1st, 2014, 20:50

I'll go back and enter update A-D after I get N-S done.

Resire

Trenloe
August 1st, 2014, 21:02
I'll go back and enter update A-D after I get N-S done.

Resire
Cool - thanks.

hangarflying
August 1st, 2014, 23:53
Another question. How do you want me to do Foo Creatures? There is a statblock for a Foo Dog as well as a Foo Lion. Following those, there is a section about creating Foo Creatures. The statblocks are good, but where do you want me to put the rest? Or I can just include it for both of them...

darrenan
August 2nd, 2014, 00:36
Since you only have to do the formatting work once, I would say append that section to both monsters. Doesn't hurt anything to have it under two different monsters. That would also be a good candidate for a "non-monster" library entry (similar to the Thriae example above) once the final module is compiled together.

hangarflying
August 2nd, 2014, 02:23
Ok, here are my letters. The original .txt file is also included in the .zip file. Ran it through the parser and didn't receive any errors.

RTFallen
August 2nd, 2014, 03:26
Rearranging some furniture tonight. Will have mine up tomorrow some time.

Resire

RTFallen
August 2nd, 2014, 15:12
Here's N to S. Ran through without errors.

Resire

darrenan
August 2nd, 2014, 19:00
My (hopefully) final versions of both ranges attached.

RTFallen
August 2nd, 2014, 19:41
My (hopefully) final versions of both ranges attached.

Updated the main post.

Still working on updating A to D.

Resire

RTFallen
August 2nd, 2014, 20:26
Updated A to D. Wouldn't parse blindness/deafness in the Div, Sepid entry.

Resire

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2014, 20:29
Updated A to D. Wouldn't parse blindness/deafness in the Div, Sepid entry.
Thanks. I'll sort out blindness/deafness.

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2014, 20:32
Great work everyone. I'll put these together and do a complete parse. Then tidy it up, add the correct OGL and package it into a final module - I should have that done this weekend.

Thanks again. :)

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2014, 03:45
Drum roll.....

Below is the end module - please give it a check when you have time.

I had to rename a few creatures so that they were listed as <type>, <name> in keeping with the main Bestiary lists.

I also had to track down a few XML formatting issues.

But, other than that, this has been an amazing contribution by a small portion of the community - thanks!

This is the first bestiary to contain all of the information for each creature - great work!

If you have the previous Bestiary 3 module (PFRPG Bestiary 3.mod) remove it as this uses the same name (PF-SRD-Bestiary-3) in the library list.

I'll give this a chance to be tested for a few days before posting to the main modules list.

Thanks again!

hangarflying
August 4th, 2014, 17:17
Just curious where the "EXTRA FORMATTED DATA" stuff is at?

darrenan
August 4th, 2014, 18:11
It's at the end of each stat block in the input .txt file, take a look at my attachment above. In the final NPC in FG, it shows up at the bottom of the "Other" tab after spell-like abilities and spells.

hangarflying
August 4th, 2014, 19:45
It's at the end of each stat block in the input .txt file, take a look at my attachment above. In the final NPC in FG, it shows up at the bottom of the "Other" tab after spell-like abilities and spells.

The creatures that I did (E-G) don't have them showing up on the "Other" tab.

darrenan
August 4th, 2014, 20:12
Are you sure? I'm looking at the db.xml from the module and it appears that the E-G entries have the <text> entries. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the Other tab, it should be the very last thing, separated from the spells by a few line feeds. I don't have access to FG itself here at work so I can't verify what it looks like when loaded, but I will check when I get home tonight.

hangarflying
August 4th, 2014, 20:21
Disregard. Apparently I had an old B3 and didn't realize it. With the old one deleted, everything appears to be in order.

RTFallen
August 11th, 2014, 14:27
Added the module download link to the first post.

Resire

Trenloe
August 11th, 2014, 14:32
Added the module download link to the first post.
Thanks.

As I mentioned above, I was going to give this a few days to see if anyone saw any issues with it before publishing to the wider community.

Anyone had any issues with the module?

RTFallen
August 11th, 2014, 14:35
So far no issues for me. I've been switching between it and the built in bestiary to test out the XP Calculator extension.

Resire