PDA

View Full Version : Updater fails to launch

malkore
July 31st, 2014, 13:32
So on my wife's computer, FG installed fine, runs fine, but absolutely cannot run the updater. Windows 7 Home Premium.
Any attempt to update, as any user, even trying Run As Administrator, results in this message:
"The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more details."

and when you look in the event log there's a message like this:
Side-by-side error...
..."C:\Program Files(x86)\Fantasy Grounds\Fantasty Grounds Updater.exe". Error in manifest or policy file XML on line 1.

Any ideas? Google searches for this error with other applications indicates a registry key needs to be modified relating to Visual C-Runtimes

damned
July 31st, 2014, 14:03
Are you not game to try the registry change?
Can you post a link to the article recommending the registry change?

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2014, 17:10
Here's a related thread.
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2525435

JPG

malkore
August 1st, 2014, 00:01
Yeah the link Moon Wizard posted is the Microsoft article I found as well.
Since the rest of her PC operates fine, I'd prefer not hacking the registry, unless I have to. Meaning: if anyone knows of a Visual C download hotfix or a Windows Update hotfix to uninstall, that'd be swell. I don't use any of the built in rules sets so I'm not sure if she's missing any significant update right now.
If i have to mess with the registry I'll just back it up first and make sure I know the change to undo.

damned
August 1st, 2014, 01:35
You just need to backup the particular key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS\Winners\x86_policy.9 .0.microsoft.vc90.crt_
Right Click -> Export

It doesnt look like a big change and does look like it can be easily rolled back.