PDA

View Full Version : Creating an action for NPC

khersheyjr
July 31st, 2014, 04:31
Can anyone shed a some light as to how to add an action to an NPC such as a Longsword attack +6 (+4str, +2 prof)? I can't seem to find the documentation needed to figure this out. Thanks!

khersheyjr
July 31st, 2014, 04:58
Ah I found the correct syntax. +6 to hit; 1d8+4 damage

Zeus
July 31st, 2014, 14:24
Yes thats it. All you need to do is replicate the attack text as laid out in the PDFs from Basic Rules and Lost Mines of Phandelver stat blocks, thats what 5E expects.

Gerron
August 14th, 2014, 21:46
Quick follow up question to this. Is there a way to, as an NPC action, initiate a skill check? IE "Target must contest its charasima (deception) check against the creatures Wisdom (insight) check.

I know how to force a check but is there a way to initiate the contest?

Thanks for your time!

Moon Wizard
August 17th, 2014, 04:08
No. The focus of most of the automation is attack, damage, heal and effect actions. I may look at this later to add. It does require brand new functionality to serialize and compare rules which does not exist currently.

Cheers,
JPG

El Condoro
September 6th, 2014, 00:32
I know this has been discussed a while back, but what is the current thinking on being able to drag and drop spells onto an NPC sheet, like with a PC? NPC Spellcasters become tricky without this functionality, although manually doing it is OK.

damned
September 6th, 2014, 02:10
I believe the current status is - if you really need more fully featured NPCs... create them as Characters and they get all of the Character sheet stuff then :)

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2014, 02:31
I think I built in ability to drag spell references onto NPC sheet. The sheet gets pretty unwieldy if you have to add a lot.

JPG

El Condoro
September 6th, 2014, 03:05
Not being a programmer this will sound much easier than it is to do, but could the NPC sheet have the Actions sheet from PCs?

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2014, 03:31
Yes, but...

The format that NPCs are provided by Wizards is a specific format. The FG sheets are designed to mimic this format and functionality for ease of entry and play. In fact, this mirrors the fact that none of the spell data is available in the creature entries.

We implemented a "spells" tab in 3.5E ruleset, but it has always been a challenge to manage this separately and increases the complexity of the NPC UI. I'm not against it per se, but I was holding off until we see the MM, see how actual usage/play with ruleset evolved, and see if a better UI solution evolved.

Cheers,
JPG

El Condoro
September 6th, 2014, 06:15
Sounds like a good plan. Only a few weeks to wait for the MM. Cheers

SheckyS
November 20th, 2015, 02:14
I believe the current status is - if you really need more fully featured NPCs... create them as Characters and they get all of the Character sheet stuff then :)

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but if I create an NPC monster as a PC, will the players be able to see it in the PCs window?

Trenloe
November 20th, 2015, 02:17
I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but if I create an NPC monster as a PC, will the players be able to see it in the PCs window?
By default, yes. But the GM can get around this by joining as a player once and taking control of the PC. This will give that player name ownership of the PC and the other players won't see the PC in the character selection screen. The GM only needs to do this once per (N)PC.

SheckyS
November 20th, 2015, 14:32
Errrr.... how do I do that? Can I run two instances of Fanasty Grounds on the same computer?

epithet
November 20th, 2015, 15:03
You can. In the IP address area of the second instance, put "localhost" (without the quotes) to connect to yourself.

SheckyS
November 21st, 2015, 00:24
You can. In the IP address area of the second instance, put "localhost" (without the quotes) to connect to yourself.

Hm. I bought FantasyGrounds on Steam, and apparently, it won't let me run it more than once on the same machine.

Trenloe
November 21st, 2015, 00:37
Hm. I bought FantasyGrounds on Steam, and apparently, it won't let me run it more than once on the same machine.
If you're running windows, right-click on the Fantasy Grounds icon in the taskbar (will only be visible when running) and click on "Fantasy Grounds", this will launch another instance.

SheckyS
November 21st, 2015, 00:42
If you're running windows, right-click on the Fantasy Grounds icon in the taskbar (will only be visible when running) and click on "Fantasy Grounds", this will launch another instance.

Now, why didn't I think of that.
That works, thanks again. :)

jajen2003
November 22nd, 2015, 02:59

What about if you're running Mac?