PDA

View Full Version : FG, Pathfinder, and the Guidance Spell

Trendane
July 27th, 2014, 21:28
Greetings, all!

Some friends and I have a weekly stream in which we are currently playing "Rise Of The Runelords". I, myself, play the party's cleric and I have been suffering a smidgen of confusion regarding the cleric orison "Guidance".

This spell imbues the subject with a touch of divine guidance. The creature gets a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. It must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies.

Whenever I cast this on someone, I see the notification in the chat window, but I never see where it applies on the character sheet. Is there somewhere specific I/we should be looking for it?

Thanks muchly!

darrenan
July 27th, 2014, 21:37
If the spell does not have an effect button, then no, it did not do anything. Right click on the spell, Add Spell Action, Add Effect.
The effect text should look like "Guidance; ATK: 1;SAVE: 1;SKILL: 1" and the "All" button should be clicked until it says "Roll".
Note that this effect will only approximate the effects of Guidance, since it will apply automatically to the next dice roll instead of letting the target choose when to use the bonus. If that's an issue, just tell your target and have them manually apply +1 to the modifiers window before they roll.

Trenloe
July 27th, 2014, 21:45
The mechanics of spells (and other abilities) are handled via effects. There is nothing built into the base spell - what you quote above is just a description for us humans! ;)

Effects are a way of applying bonuses/penalties to rolls made by the target of the effect. Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects

Examples of effect strings here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18006-Effects-library

EDIT: Darrenan's given you a specific reply regarding an effect for Guidance. I use an effect with just the Guidance label and the duration - so the player knows if they have guidance still available and can use it if they want, manually applying the +1 before their roll. The GM can then remove the Guidance effect label once used.

Trendane
July 27th, 2014, 23:15
Hmmm! I shall have to play around with this. Thank you both!

JerryRig
August 16th, 2014, 11:01
The actual way it should look is:

Guidance; ATK: 1 competence;SAVE: 1 competence;SKILL: 1 competence

Under Targeting select TARGET
Under Expend select ROLL

*it's important to include the competence verbiage after the Modifier # to be effected.
**I will stick a note of "(good example)" or "(bad example)" after the proper formatting to make sure you know what was typed before hand works well(good0 or poorly/incomplete (bad).

Say they player also gets receives the "Blessing of the Mole" spell. This spell if cast on someone with "Guidance" in the format:

Guidance; ATK: 1;SAVE: 1;SKILL: 1 (bad example)

would allow the "Blessing of the Mole" spell to stack with it on a a skill check of stealth if the EFFECT was typed either:

Blessing of the mole; SKILL: 2 stealth (bad example)
-or-
Blessing of the mole; SKILL: 2 competence, stealth (good example)

The player would get a bonus of +3 to the roll when they should only get a +2 (enhancement bonuses don't stack). What it should reflect is:

Guidance; ATK: 1 competence; SKILL: 1 competence; SAVE: 1 competence (good example)
-and-
Blessing of the mole; SKILL: 2 competence, stealth (good example)

You would have the same problem with say this example ...

Guidance; ATK: 1;SAVE: 1;SKILL: 1 (bad example)
-and-
Bears Endurance; ABIL: 4 constitution; SAVE: 2 fortitude (bad example)

resulting in the roll of a Fortitude save of +3 when it should only be +2 because both are enhancement bonuses. The correct way to do it would be something like this:

Guidance; ATK: 1 competence; SKILL: 1 competence; SAVE: 1 competence (good example)
-and-
Bears Endurance; ABIL: 4 competence, constitution; SAVE: 2 competence, fortitude (good example)

Resulting in only receiving only the highest competence bonus of +2 to a fortitude save (no stacking).

someone double check my formatting ...I double checked it in FG via copy/paste of effects on a character and rolled the SKILL or the SAVE to test the result.

Blackfoot
August 19th, 2014, 12:24
Actually, your Bear's Endurance example isn't correct.
Bear's Endurance;CON:4 enhancement
.. should be all you need there... but you will also want to manually increase the character's HP to reflect the increase as HP are not automatically increased along with increased Constitution Effects.

JerryRig
August 20th, 2014, 03:44
Thanks for feedback. Not sure how I got the competence and the enhancement mixed up with Bears endurance so the actual spells would stack as its an enhancement.
but ...When I tried to do only CON: 4 the saving throws did not properly reflect the +2 to Fort it should have given the players. (this example was done as both being competence).
Also ...if another spell or effect came into play that effected CON that was enhancement if it was not included it could be double effect so I ensured I did not ignore that possibility. It will function at its basic from with just CON: 4 but the GM/DM and player could miss overlap.

Blackfoot
August 20th, 2014, 03:56
The Fort saves work correctly every time I use the CON effect. You might have had a typo in there.

JerryRig
August 25th, 2014, 14:52
indeed ....something changed ...not a typo, is formatted correctly on the characters effects.

Trenloe
August 25th, 2014, 15:14
indeed ....something changed ...not a typo, is formatted correctly on the characters effects.
Are you using any extensions?

Trenloe
August 25th, 2014, 15:14
Are you using any extensions?

Are you saying it is now working for you?

JerryRig
September 10th, 2014, 20:30
sorry my e-mail got hacked and lost all pings to post updates. Ya I think something changed in formatting in one of the updates ...it works now when it wasn't before. -shrugs- don't know what happens in the background with updates ...not that deep into programming to care other than when it effects my functionality for the groups I play with.