PDA

View Full Version : Question on paying someone to parse information...

Dershem
July 27th, 2014, 20:45
I'm seriously considering running a 5e game, however, (big however) I don't have the skills or patience with coding to do the parsing, would it be against the rules to pay someone to Parse things for me? And would anyone be interested in doing it for a reasonable rate. Mainly what I would need is the core books, and monsters, I can handle story entries etc once in FG. I would rather focus on the in game experience vrs the back end experience. The minimum I would need would be monsters and spells...

IF interested pm me price and time, for projects.

El Condoro
July 27th, 2014, 22:23
It's not the time or cost that is the issue - it's copyright.

Dershem
July 27th, 2014, 22:36
Ahh but the way around that is I'm not paying for the product, which I already own, I'm paying for their time to make it usable for me... If it's trading money that's the issue I'd be willing to barter for gaming product... ;) So that eliminates them making a profit off of it.

damned
July 27th, 2014, 23:24
In the hey-days of shareware and before most people were connected to the Internet some people would distribute shareware software and charge you for the media and for compiling the collection and not the shareware itself. I dont know how this would go but if you did the parsing on the OPs computer via TeamViewer and using the OPs PDFs you should probably be ok doing this - but if you are transferring those files from one persons computer to another you would be in a very grey area. I am not a lawyer so dont take my response as anything other than my 5c worth...

Irondrake
July 28th, 2014, 01:29
I'm hoping very much that Wizards of the Coast and SmiteWorks comes to an agreement that at least the Basic D&D rules are able to made available with Fantasy Grounds much like 3.5/PathFinder's OGL set is. You can make use of the rules without parsing anything. It just means typing everything in, all the monsters, all the abilities, all the spells...on an as-needed basis of course. That's how I ran my first few 5E games...my first few 4E games...etc :)

It wasn't until 5E that I really started messing with parsing because I got tired of typing stuff in

bdf1992
July 28th, 2014, 01:41
I mean, It's always possible for someone to just create an automated script that will compile all the rules into a module.

Basically Parse, but it would apply the markups itself so all you have to do is run it and point it to the text file.

However unless every PDF is written the same every script would have to be different for every pdf.

Basically like the scripts that people write to make tokens, but for books :)

Dershem
July 28th, 2014, 01:48
That's true, I assume maybe incorrectly that the basic rules would be the same format. Tbh, the only thing I could see as must haves for characters would be spells, as you can always switch them up. For gm only thing I would really like to have is monsters...

Dershem
July 29th, 2014, 02:57
Ok. I'm going to take the plunge and do data entry for the monsters and such, can someone explain how to enter the attack and damage entries screen shots would be awesome!

Please and thank you!

ShadeRaven
July 29th, 2014, 07:47
The example in the DOC is actually very good for getting a baseline of what's needed for the PAR5Er.

Here's what one might look like:

Raging Lizardman
Medium Humanoid (lizardman)
Armor Class 16 (natural, dex, shield)
Hit Points 27 (4d8 + 8)
Speed 30 ft.
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Str 14 (+2) Dex 14 (+2) Con 15 (+1)
Int 9 (-1) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 7 (-2)
Alignment chaotic evil
Languages Common, Lizardfolk
TRAITS
Deadly: When the raging lizardman hits with a melee weapon attack, the attack deals 1d8 extra damage to the target (included in attack actions).
Water Breathing: A lizardman can breath indefinitely underwater.
ACTIONS
Trident: Melee weapon attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d8+2) piercing damage.
Javelin: Ranged weapon attack: +4 to hit, range 30 ft./120 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6+2) piercing damage.
ENCOUNTER BUILDING
Level 1 XP 200
##;
He's part lizard, part man, and all angry.

Dershem
July 29th, 2014, 08:38
No I mean hand typing into fg. Like under action, how do I create an attack, just seems to be a blank box.

El Condoro
July 29th, 2014, 09:54
Right click the action, Add action, Add whatever the power is. A magnifying glass will allow you to edit the details.

Moon Wizard
July 29th, 2014, 16:54
If PC, click on the edit button in lower right of PC Actions tab, then select Add Weapon or Add Power.

For PC Spells. Change the new power Group value to "Spells", then click on magnifying glass in Spells header to set Spell group info. (Only need to do once for each Spellcasting class). Then, click on the shortcut link on right side of new power to edit details. Next, right click on power in Actions tab, and select Reparse Actions to build let ruleset attempt to build actions for that spell. Finally, once all powers entered, choose preparation mode at bottom of Actions tab to select which spells are prepared.

For weapons, click on the magnifying glass to edit the weapon details. You can drag a die onto damage section to add a damage entry, or use damage edit mode button. Fill in the type, attack modifiers and damage modifiers.

Regards,
JPG

Koreapsu
July 30th, 2014, 02:44
I too would happily pay someone to parse the sets I need. I've ordered and I'm buying everything 5e that WoTC releases but I'm not in a position to play in person any longer so the struggle to get it in a format I can use is quite frustrating.

Sadly if we follow the example of VHS to DVD the procedure would be a violation of copyright. I guess it could also be argued that even parsing the information ourselves is a breach using that example since we are transferring it to a digital format, it's not dependent on whether we do it ourselves or have someone else do it.

Still, it's really annoying. I guess I'll just have to spend weeks making the same mistakes everyone else has made as we all try to help each other without sharing our successes for fear of WoTC reprisals.

Zeus
July 30th, 2014, 09:18
I too would happily pay someone to parse the sets I need. I've ordered and I'm buying everything 5e that WoTC releases but I'm not in a position to play in person any longer so the struggle to get it in a format I can use is quite frustrating.

Sadly if we follow the example of VHS to DVD the procedure would be a violation of copyright. I guess it could also be argued that even parsing the information ourselves is a breach using that example since we are transferring it to a digital format, it's not dependent on whether we do it ourselves or have someone else do it.

Still, it's really annoying. I guess I'll just have to spend weeks making the same mistakes everyone else has made as we all try to help each other without sharing our successes for fear of WoTC reprisals.

There is a distinct possibility that official 5E content may soon become available for FG, my advice would be to wait a week or two before you embark on manual parsing of data, hopefully there will be more news to share by then.

sturtus
December 15th, 2014, 00:58
Sorry to raise this dead thread, but as a dad and a professional, I'm used to trading my money for time saved. Hope this gets settled soon.

WishX
December 18th, 2014, 10:40
Sorry to raise this dead thread, but as a dad and a professional, I'm used to trading my money for time saved. Hope this gets settled soon.

What he said. I would even go so far as to take a picture of myself with all of the 5E books and a little sign that says, "I'm really WishX, I really bought these books so there are no copyright issues and I'm really asking for help" if it would give someone the peace of mind to allow payment/bartering for parsing.

damned
December 18th, 2014, 10:43
Sadly it dont count.
It would still be breaching copyright.

Send the good guys at Wizards a nice email and tell them how much yo love 5e and how Fantasy Grounds is the perfect platform for online gaming with 5e.

Zeus
December 18th, 2014, 19:09
Hang tuff guys, we are still in talks with Wizards and its still looking positive. Unfortunately we've had to break for the holidays but discussions will continue in the new year. We'll keep you all posted as soon as we can.

hawkwind
December 22nd, 2014, 10:56
That would be the best Christmas present ever! :)

A good way to get every thing parsed is to do the basic pdf using app that's been made then offer to DM a game and a kind player may well help you with the parsing. Also once you have done done the basic rules you can OCR the bits you need as you go along and then paste them in to FG. I recently found a conversion online of the old classic module White Plume Mountain and the monsters pasted into FG fine

kane280484
December 28th, 2014, 18:31
I just hope it won't cost the same money as rulebooks, I'm being paid in Polish currency, converting it to dollars is painfull. Well, a hobbies are not meant to be cheap, though :)

damned
December 28th, 2014, 21:11
pretty much everything sold here costs the same as the source material in PDF format...
that has been deemed the fairest to the publisher, to the converter and to smiteworks.
that is potentially one issue - at this time, right now, WoTC have said that the Basic PDF is the only PDF they want to release...
so a conversion might be priced against the hardback...

kane280484
December 29th, 2014, 07:38
Ah, I get it. I thought if it's digital, it costs less due to lack of printing and distribution costs. Maybe I'll stick to Monster Manual, the lack of rest is bereable.

damned
December 29th, 2014, 09:13
if all you need is the MM just do the Basic PDF using Valeros tool for now.

inawkwardscience
January 14th, 2015, 20:01
I wish it was possible to pay for someone to parse the corebooks for me as well, it is a frustrating process. I can't say I'm not learning anything though, at least.

crazz2323
January 16th, 2015, 20:46
Is this still a possibility? Should I wait before attempting to parse all this? If not, then can I parse like I did for 4E using the new 5E parser and a subscription to D&D Insider or will it still be as complicated as in the videos you posted on how to parse the free ruleset?

There is a distinct possibility that official 5E content may soon become available for FG, my advice would be to wait a week or two before you embark on manual parsing of data, hopefully there will be more news to share by then.

damned
January 16th, 2015, 22:23
Is this still a possibility? Should I wait before attempting to parse all this? If not, then can I parse like I did for 4E using the new 5E parser and a subscription to D&D Insider or will it still be as complicated as in the videos you posted on how to parse the free ruleset?

The reality is it will happen if and when it happens. Contract negotiations can take forever and WoTC/Hasbro dont hand these things over lightly.
Use Valeros basic parser to give you 2 .mods in 5mins. It also creates some basic files to use in Par5e.

Par5e does require a lot of effort. First you have to scan the manuals, then OCR them, then clean up the artifacts and then add the markup and then Par5e and troubleshoot.
It is what it is. The content/ip belongs to Hasbro and until they give SmiteWorks a license there are no other legal options.

ianmward
January 16th, 2015, 22:43
A question...
If I buy a book in German but don't speak German, can I legally pay a translation agency to take the book and provide me an English translation for my personal use?

Draca
January 17th, 2015, 00:39
Ill just leave this here..

https://www.copyrightlaws.com/copyright-qs-as/9-0-copyright-permissions/

9.6 Question: My organization has purchased a journal article from a document supplier. May I send this article to a third party for translation into another language or does this infringe the “further reproduction, electronic storage or electronic transmission” which was expressly prohibited in the invoice from the document supplier?

Answer: Unless you own the copyright in a work, whenever you translate a work or have someone translate it on your behalf, you need permission from the copyright owner of that work. Translation is a right of every copyright holder. It is an adaptation of a work that requires advance permission. (2010-1)

crazz2323
January 17th, 2015, 03:15
The reality is it will happen if and when it happens. Contract negotiations can take forever and WoTC/Hasbro dont hand these things over lightly.
Use Valeros basic parser to give you 2 .mods in 5mins. It also creates some basic files to use in Par5e.

Par5e does require a lot of effort. First you have to scan the manuals, then OCR them, then clean up the artifacts and then add the markup and then Par5e and troubleshoot.
It is what it is. The content/ip belongs to Hasbro and until they give SmiteWorks a license there are no other legal options.

Well, I want the full rules not the free basic ones so Valeros basic parser is only for the basic rules right? In the past, I had done this fairly easily with 4E and the parse tool at the time. I just needed a subscription to the Dungeon Insider or whatever it was and I could parse the site. So the 5E parser cant do that?

Last time, I was also a member of the RPGA yahoo group for D&D Fantasy grounds but I don't have the link anymore is there a RPGA group or something for 5E?

I own the 5E books, I just wish I had a way to get the libraries without all the confusion. I would pay for them if FG was allowed to offer it. sigh...

DrakosDJ
January 17th, 2015, 04:24
I own the 5E books, I just wish I had a way to get the libraries without all the confusion. I would pay for them if FG was allowed to offer it. sigh...

The problem isn't that FG isn't allowing it. It's that copyright laws don't allow it. Without WotC approving it, FG and the community have their hands tied.

Draca
January 17th, 2015, 04:35
You can bet that WoTC wont allow any PDF or alternate methods until they make a slew of money on the hard backs.

And really you cant blame them. Once a pdf hits the net , it all over for them to make the same amount of money.

Lets face it , a large portion of the gaming community would take advantage of any free method of getting access to the information in those books.
There is also a large portion that would buy the book and the pdf and the FG ruleset... but sadly those gamers are outnumbered by the ones who wont.

crazz2323
January 17th, 2015, 12:13
The problem isn't that FG isn't allowing it. It's that copyright laws don't allow it. Without WotC approving it, FG and the community have their hands tied.

Sorry, I think you misread my post. I said it is too bad FG is not allowed to use the 5E libraries. I do understand they have no choice but thank you for the clarification none-the-less. So my main question now is why did the 4E parser make it so easy as to be able to parse the info off the Dungeon Insider site and 5E can't do the same? Has something changed?

damned
January 17th, 2015, 14:27
yes - Hasbro/WoTC have not released electronic versions of anything other than the Basic game.
4E was available via DDI but 5E is not.

crazz2323
January 17th, 2015, 17:03
yes - Hasbro/WoTC have not released electronic versions of anything other than the Basic game.
4E was available via DDI but 5E is not.

Ahh OK, makes sense now. Oh well, guess I will have to wait then. Too bad. Thanks for your assistance.

Zeus
January 18th, 2015, 00:42
Ahh OK, makes sense now. Oh well, guess I will have to wait then. Too bad. Thanks for your assistance.

Hopefully, the wait will soon be over. ;)

crazz2323
January 18th, 2015, 03:13
I'm hoping that's a hint... I'll wait to see what happens, thanks.

VenomousFiligree
January 18th, 2015, 10:52
Hopefully, the wait will soon be over. ;)

You'll be getting so much of my money if you get the license to all the books! :D

inawkwardscience
January 20th, 2015, 02:54
You'll be getting so much of my money if you get the license to all the books! :D

Agreed. I love Fantasy Grounds.

Dershem
February 4th, 2015, 00:09
@Zeus Any word on this?

damned
February 4th, 2015, 00:13
I have a feeling when this happens you'll know about it! Its going to be a big deal for everyone involved if/when it happens :)

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Dershem
February 4th, 2015, 00:20
I figured as much but you can't blame a guy for trying.

Mellock
February 5th, 2015, 15:21
Heh, WOTC just posted a job opening for someone to look after licensing. Hope it's someone who likes FG.

https://company.wizards.com/about/careers/associate-game-producer-dd-job-renton-wa-us?careers-view=1

Nylanfs
February 5th, 2015, 17:51
interesting...

chillybilly
February 6th, 2015, 00:00
My group quit 5E because I just didn't have the time to input all the crap into FG. In fact, we won't be using (or buying) anything related to 5E until they license with FG. I'm done wasting my time spending 20 minutes trying to input one NPC. I really think WOTC is losing money hand over fist by ignoring this market. But what do I know?

Dershem
February 7th, 2015, 16:07
I agree, I've decided to go with Savage Worlds instead. the NPC extension maker is awesome!

chillybilly
February 7th, 2015, 17:23
I agree, I've decided to go with Savage Worlds instead. the NPC extension maker is awesome!

It's INCREDIBLE!

Justin Davis
February 16th, 2015, 01:55
I have the 5e Players handbook and Monster Manual Parsed, and honestly don't know what i'd do without them, it would take ten times longer to build encounters without them.

If someone was to mail me and told me they owned the books, I don't see the harm in them paying me for my time for a fair price, and me sending them the books, if it keeps them playing Fantasy Grounds and not running off to Roll20 or other sub par VTT's. At least until Smite Works had a deal with WOTC and then of course not. In my opinion WOTC doesn't have a leg to stand on as long as people own their books already, so I don't see the harm. Again this is just my opinion, I'm sure some of you have your own.

damned
February 16th, 2015, 02:12
At least until Smite Works had a deal with WOTC and then of course not. In my opinion WOTC doesn't have a leg to stand on as long as people own their books already, so I don't see the harm. Again this is just my opinion, I'm sure some of you have your own.

Justin Davis opinions are not worth a whole lot... Copyright law expressly prohibits you from distributing this material without either a license or written approval. You are not allowed to share or distribute these or translate it into FG format for someone else...

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

chillybilly
February 16th, 2015, 13:18
Out of curiosity, is there any word on a possible agreement between FG and WOTC? It was my understanding that the FG people were trying to negotiate something or was that in my dreams?

damned
February 16th, 2015, 18:57
SmiteWorks are definitely working towards a license... But the Wizards dont just hand them out all that often... Fingers crossed but holding your breath might not be advisable for health reasons!